VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

squeak-dev-noreply

Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

Name: VMMaker-oscog.34
Author: eem
Time: 1 October 2010, 7:28:02 am
UUID: ec174a95-5f42-4fe0-88f0-4baff13dd3ce
Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog.33

Warning: this may have difficulty loading into an image with
VMMaker already loaded and you'll almost certainly need to
recompile the package if you try this.

Refactor to move ObjectMemory into objectMemory inst var
in StackInterpreter and subclass CoInterpreter.
Move the bulk of the core primitives to InterpreterPrimitives,
to allow eventual sharing of primitives between Cog and the
Interpreter..
Fix typo in method arg check in primitiveObject:perform:withArguments:lookedUpIn:
for objects-as-methods.

Correct the sendTrace bit flags defs.

Various minor cleanups/polish.

Simulator:
        provide a menu on the bytecode count pane with useful
        expressions.  It's now a tool :)

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

David T. Lewis

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:36:22PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog.34
> Author: eem
> Time: 1 October 2010, 7:28:02 am
> UUID: ec174a95-5f42-4fe0-88f0-4baff13dd3ce
> Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog.33
>
> Warning: this may have difficulty loading into an image with
> VMMaker already loaded and you'll almost certainly need to
> recompile the package if you try this.
>
> Refactor to move ObjectMemory into objectMemory inst var
> in StackInterpreter and subclass CoInterpreter.
> Move the bulk of the core primitives to InterpreterPrimitives,
> to allow eventual sharing of primitives between Cog and the
> Interpreter..

This looks really good. It decouples the interpreter from the object
memory, and opens the possibility of mixing and matching different
interpreters and object memories.

Dave

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 04:36:22PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.34.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog.34
> Author: eem
> Time: 1 October 2010, 7:28:02 am
> UUID: ec174a95-5f42-4fe0-88f0-4baff13dd3ce
> Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog.33
>
> Warning: this may have difficulty loading into an image with
> VMMaker already loaded and you'll almost certainly need to
> recompile the package if you try this.
>
> Refactor to move ObjectMemory into objectMemory inst var
> in StackInterpreter and subclass CoInterpreter.
> Move the bulk of the core primitives to InterpreterPrimitives,
> to allow eventual sharing of primitives between Cog and the
> Interpreter..

This looks really good. It decouples the interpreter from the object
memory, and opens the possibility of mixing and matching different
interpreters and object memories.

That's the main goal.   Also it allows us to share the bulk of the core primitives between the Cog VMs and the Interpreter.
David, nag me and I'll try and apply the refactoring (and the replacement of successFlag with primFailCode) to Interpreter so we can do this.

best
Eliot

Dave