VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

squeak-dev-noreply

Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

Name: VMMaker-oscog.46
Author: eem
Time: 15 January 2011, 10:45:02 am
UUID: 78f6932a-9375-4f02-8804-bf4218877f36
Ancestors: VMMaker-eem.709, VMMaker-oscog.45

Fix for & and | usage in genSpecialSelectorArithmetic that
caused e.g. 16r80 bitOr:16r40 to evaluate to 1.

Safer frame printing via sprinkling of couldBeFramePointer: pixie dust.

Update the CogMemoryManager class comment new
GC/obj rep design with the results of recent vm-dev discussion on lazy become and pinning.

Remove the unused register-saving stack page classes.
Rename retained classes (CogSimpleStackPage => CogStackPage etc).

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

CdAB63

Em 15-01-2011 20:12, [hidden email]
escreveu:

> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog.46
> Author: eem
> Time: 15 January 2011, 10:45:02 am
> UUID: 78f6932a-9375-4f02-8804-bf4218877f36
> Ancestors: VMMaker-eem.709, VMMaker-oscog.45
>
> Fix for & and | usage in genSpecialSelectorArithmetic that
> caused e.g. 16r80 bitOr:16r40 to evaluate to 1.
>
> Safer frame printing via sprinkling of couldBeFramePointer: pixie dust.
>
> Update the CogMemoryManager class comment new
> GC/obj rep design with the results of recent vm-dev discussion on lazy become and pinning.
>
> Remove the unused register-saving stack page classes.
> Rename retained classes (CogSimpleStackPage => CogStackPage etc).

Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
in an old version...

CdAB

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

Eliot Miranda-2

escreveu:

> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog.46
> Author: eem
> Time: 15 January 2011, 10:45:02 am
> UUID: 78f6932a-9375-4f02-8804-bf4218877f36
> Ancestors: VMMaker-eem.709, VMMaker-oscog.45
>
> Fix for & and | usage in genSpecialSelectorArithmetic that
> caused e.g. 16r80 bitOr:16r40 to evaluate to 1.
>
> Safer frame printing via sprinkling of couldBeFramePointer: pixie dust.
>
> Update the CogMemoryManager class comment new
> GC/obj rep design with the results of recent vm-dev discussion on lazy become and pinning.
>
> Remove the unused register-saving stack page classes.
> Rename retained classes (CogSimpleStackPage => CogStackPage etc).

Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
in an old version...

Hmmm... I have given up on trying to commit directly to the repository because recently it has always timed-out.  Instead I commit to package-cache and then use Import Versions on www.squeaksource.com to upload the package from package-cache.  Is this supposed to work?  Should I be doing something else?

cheers,
Eliot

CdAB

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

Igor Stasenko

On 17 January 2011 20:50, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Em 15-01-2011 20:12, [hidden email]
>> escreveu:
>> >
>> > Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
>> > http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz
>> >
>> > ==================== Summary ====================
>> >
>> > Name: VMMaker-oscog.46
>> > Author: eem
>> > Time: 15 January 2011, 10:45:02 am
>> > UUID: 78f6932a-9375-4f02-8804-bf4218877f36
>> > Ancestors: VMMaker-eem.709, VMMaker-oscog.45
>> >
>> > Fix for & and | usage in genSpecialSelectorArithmetic that
>> > caused e.g. 16r80 bitOr:16r40 to evaluate to 1.
>> >
>> > Safer frame printing via sprinkling of couldBeFramePointer: pixie dust.
>> >
>> > Update the CogMemoryManager class comment new
>> > GC/obj rep design with the results of recent vm-dev discussion on lazy become and pinning.
>> >
>> > Remove the unused register-saving stack page classes.
>> > Rename retained classes (CogSimpleStackPage => CogStackPage etc).
>> >

>> Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
>> in an old version...
>
> Hmmm... I have given up on trying to commit directly to the repository because recently it has always timed-out.  Instead I commit to package-cache and then use Import Versions on www.squeaksource.com to upload the package from package-cache.  Is this supposed to work?  Should I be doing something else?

i also had timeouts during uploading.. but at the end package show
itself normally.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

stephane ducasse-2

We will get soon a good infrastructure for squeaksource next generation and we hope it will fix the problems.

Stef

>>> Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
>>> in an old version...
>>
>> Hmmm... I have given up on trying to commit directly to the repository because recently it has always timed-out.  Instead I commit to package-cache and then use Import Versions on www.squeaksource.com to upload the package from package-cache.  Is this supposed to work?  Should I be doing something else?
>
> i also had timeouts during uploading.. but at the end package show
> itself normally.
>
>> cheers,
>> Eliot
>>>
>>> CdAB
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

David T. Lewis

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:50:36AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
> > in an old version...
>
> Hmmm... I have given up on trying to commit directly to the repository
> because recently it has always timed-out.  Instead I commit to package-cache
> and then use Import Versions on www.squeaksource.com to upload the package
> from package-cache.  Is this supposed to work?  Should I be doing something
> else?

I usually do the same thing, except that I copy from package-cache to
the SqueakSource project using the "Copy" button on a repository browser
opened on the package-cache repository.

Dave

escreveu:

> Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog.46
> Author: eem
> Time: 15 January 2011, 10:45:02 am
> UUID: 78f6932a-9375-4f02-8804-bf4218877f36
> Ancestors: VMMaker-eem.709, VMMaker-oscog.45
>
> Fix for & and | usage in genSpecialSelectorArithmetic that
> caused e.g. 16r80 bitOr:16r40 to evaluate to 1.
>
> Safer frame printing via sprinkling of couldBeFramePointer: pixie dust.
>
> Update the CogMemoryManager class comment new
> GC/obj rep design with the results of recent vm-dev discussion on lazy become and pinning.
>
> Remove the unused register-saving stack page classes.
> Rename retained classes (CogSimpleStackPage => CogStackPage etc).

Why VMMaker-oscog is not getting into Monticello ? Repository is stuck
in an old version...

Actually the new versions /are/ getting to the repository.  All of VMMaker-oscog.44, oscog.45 & oscog.46 are in Monticello if you open a repository browser on http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.  However they don't show up in the Latest tab in the project page on squeaksource (on http://www.squeaksource.com/@rsTXXOh2ICddgd5F/bh1s-pq_).

CdAB

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

- Bert -

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 17.01.2011, at 23:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:

Actually the new versions /are/ getting to the repository.  All of VMMaker-oscog.44, oscog.45 & oscog.46 are in Monticello if you open a repository browser on http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.  However they don't show up in the Latest tab in the project page on squeaksource (on http://www.squeaksource.com/@rsTXXOh2ICddgd5F/bh1s-pq_).

Nope :)  Here's what the page displays:

Filename Author Timestamp Actions
CMakeVMMaker-EstebanLorenzano.15.mcz Esteban Lorenzano 2011-01-11 02:46:57 details download
ImageFormat-dtl.9.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-08 16:24:36 details download
MemoryAccess-dtl.3.mcz Dave Lewis 2009-04-12 19:14:36 details download
SlangBrowser-ar.5.mcz Andreas Raab 2010-12-31 15:58:26 details download
VMM-touch-temp-tpr.1.mcz tim rowledge 2004-03-30 21:35:57 details download
VMMaker-dtl.216.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-06 03:51:07 details download
VMMaker-oscog-Igor.Stasenko.43.mcz Igor Stasenko 2011-01-02 17:59:55 details download

Kurtz: "It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?"
Willard: "They told me that you had gone totally insane and that your methods were unsound."
Kurtz: "Are my methods unsound?"
Willard: "I don't see any method at all."

best
Eliot

- Bert -

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:00:02PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

> > On 17.01.2011, at 23:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > Actually the new versions /are/ getting to the repository.  All of
> > VMMaker-oscog.44, oscog.45 & oscog.46 are in Monticello if you open a
> > repository browser on http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.  However they
> > don't show up in the Latest tab in the project page on squeaksource (on
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/@rsTXXOh2ICddgd5F/bh1s-pq_).

Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
(currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.

Thanks,
Dave

> Nope :)  Here's what the
> page<http://www.squeaksource.com/@rsTXXOh2ICddgd5F/bh1s-pq_>displays:
>
> Filename Author Timestamp Actions
> CMakeVMMaker-EstebanLorenzano.15.mcz Esteban Lorenzano 2011-01-11
> 02:46:57 details
> download
> ImageFormat-dtl.9.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-08 16:24:36 details download
> MemoryAccess-dtl.3.mcz Dave Lewis 2009-04-12 19:14:36 details download
> SlangBrowser-ar.5.mcz Andreas Raab 2010-12-31 15:58:26 details download
> VMM-touch-temp-tpr.1.mcz tim rowledge 2004-03-30 21:35:57 details download
> VMMaker-dtl.216.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-06 03:51:07 details download
> VMMaker-oscog-Igor.Stasenko.43.mcz Igor Stasenko 2011-01-02 17:59:55 details
> download
>
> Kurtz: "It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?"
> Willard: "They told me that you had gone totally insane and that
> your methods were unsound."
> Kurtz: "Are my methods unsound?"
> Willard: "I don't see any method at all."
>
> best
> Eliot
>

> > - Bert -

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

stephane ducasse-2

> Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
> (currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
> at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.

David

I'm curious. can you explain you last sentence?
Because understanding different process benefits is always interesting for me.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog.46.mcz

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
> (currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
> at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.

David

I'm curious. can you explain you last sentence?
Because understanding different process benefits is always interesting for me.

I am not David, but I can explain since I was catched by this also.
A part of cog concist in a fork of the VMMaker package. Eliot started from one VMMaker version. Let's take as an example that he started cog from VMMaker.dtl.100. Instead of calling it VMMaker.eem.101  he named it  VMMaker.oscog.1

Notice two things:
- He used oscog as name and not eem. I think oscog comes from open source cog.
- he started from 1 (or something like that).

Now, in the same repository and the same package of VMMaker you see both "branches" of VMMaker, the standard one which is in the normal form VMMaker.dtl.xxx  (or any other commiter), and those which are VMMaker.oscog.yyy

So, if you want to search the latest cog version, you need to search the latest VMMaker.oscog.yyy.  What it is not fun is that since eliot restarted with the numbers, cog version are always at the end. For example, the lates cog version .46 is muuuch before (in the monticello browser) that the lastest of standard vm (246)

In the squeaksource page, when you see "latest" you see really the latest, which in this case is the 246 of the normal squeakVM, It seems "latest" uses the order you see in the monticello browser (version number) instead of the timestamp of the commit.

Cheers

Mariano

On 18 January 2011 09:43, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
>> > (currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
>> > at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.
>>
>> David
>>
>> I'm curious. can you explain you last sentence?
>> Because understanding different process benefits is always interesting for me.
>

> I am not David, but I can explain since I was catched by this also.
> A part of cog concist in a fork of the VMMaker package. Eliot started from one VMMaker version. Let's take as an example that he started cog from VMMaker.dtl.100. Instead of calling it VMMaker.eem.101  he named it  VMMaker.oscog.1
>
> Notice two things:
> - He used oscog as name and not eem. I think oscog comes from open source cog.
> - he started from 1 (or something like that).
>
> Now, in the same repository and the same package of VMMaker you see both "branches" of VMMaker, the standard one which is in the normal form VMMaker.dtl.xxx  (or any other commiter), and those which are VMMaker.oscog.yyy
>
> So, if you want to search the latest cog version, you need to search the latest VMMaker.oscog.yyy.  What it is not fun is that since eliot restarted with the numbers, cog version are always at the end. For example, the lates cog version .46 is muuuch before (in the monticello browser) that the lastest of standard vm (246)

yeah, i used naming:
VMMaker-oscog-Igor.Stasenko.nnn.mcz

and it is listed in separate list 'VMMaker-oscog' on repository, which
is must easier to find because it is not mixed with original VMMaker
branch.

Imo this naming scheme is better than used by Eliot.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On 18.01.2011, at 01:00, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 17.01.2011, at 23:15, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
>> Actually the new versions /are/ getting to the repository.  All of VMMaker-oscog.44, oscog.45 & oscog.46 are in Monticello if you open a repository browser on http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.  However they don't show up in the Latest tab in the project page on squeaksource (on http://www.squeaksource.com/@rsTXXOh2ICddgd5F/bh1s-pq_).

> Nope :)

O RLY? ;)

>  Here's what the page displays:
>
> Filename Author Timestamp Actions
> CMakeVMMaker-EstebanLorenzano.15.mcz Esteban Lorenzano 2011-01-11 02:46:57 details download
> ImageFormat-dtl.9.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-08 16:24:36 details download
> MemoryAccess-dtl.3.mcz Dave Lewis 2009-04-12 19:14:36 details download
> SlangBrowser-ar.5.mcz Andreas Raab 2010-12-31 15:58:26 details download
> VMM-touch-temp-tpr.1.mcz tim rowledge 2004-03-30 21:35:57 details download
> VMMaker-dtl.216.mcz Dave Lewis 2011-01-06 03:51:07 details download
> VMMaker-oscog-Igor.Stasenko.43.mcz Igor Stasenko 2011-01-02 17:59:55 details download
>
> Kurtz: "It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?"
> Willard: "They told me that you had gone totally insane and that your methods were unsound."
> Kurtz: "Are my methods unsound?"
> Willard: "I don't see any method at all."

Here is the method:

* package name is file name up to last hyphen
* package version is number between the two last periods
* latest versions selects highest version of each package name

Computers do as told, even if we may wish otherwise ...

- Bert -

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:09:22AM +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:

> > Just a note of appreciation - keeping the oscog branch numbering
> > (currently at 46) separate from the trunk branch numbering (currently
> > at 216) has been very helpful and much appreciated from my point of view.
>
> David
>
> I'm curious. can you explain you last sentence?
> Because understanding different process benefits is always interesting for me.
>
> Stef

Well, this is more an example of good teamwork than good process. We
currently have two branches of VMMaker in the repository, and this
will be the case for a while as we work towards merging them. Eliot
has been careful to maintain a distinct sequence of mcz file numbers
for everything he has added, and I think that this helps to keep the
confusion to a minimum. So I was just saying "thank you".

Of course Monticello is not designed to rely on file version numbers,
so I don't think that this is something you would want to recommend
as a general practice.

Dave