VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

squeak-dev-noreply

Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63
Author: dtl
Time: 20 April 2011, 10:18:02 am
UUID: c1d30608-304c-52b7-20ca-32f7a46c1508
Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61

Re-save from VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 because VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60 were saved without correct ancestry.

Actual ancestry:
 VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62
 VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
 VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
 VMMaker-oscog-dtl.59

Changes included here are from:

Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
A second batch of updates from VMM trunk, primarily cosmetic but also a class comment update and a couple of methods that had not previously been pragmatized in oscog.

Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
These changes are methods from the main VMM branch for which <#var:#type:> declarations have been formatted with proper spacing. By updating these in the oscog branch, all of these methods are identical in both branches. All changes are cosmetic (no functional changes to the methods).

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

David T. Lewis

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 04:59:26AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63
> Author: dtl
> Time: 20 April 2011, 10:18:02 am
> UUID: c1d30608-304c-52b7-20ca-32f7a46c1508
> Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>
> Re-save from VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 because VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60 were saved without correct ancestry.

> Actual ancestry:
>  VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
>  VMMaker-oscog-dtl.59
>
> Changes included here are from:
>
> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
> A second batch of updates from VMM trunk, primarily cosmetic but also
> a class comment update and a couple of methods that had not previously
> been pragmatized in oscog.
>
> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
> These changes are methods from the main VMM branch for which <#var:#type:>
> declarations have been formatted with proper spacing. By updating these
> in the oscog branch, all of these methods are identical in both branches.
> All changes are cosmetic (no functional changes to the methods).

I give up. I cannot commit oscog updates to SqueakSource because
SqueakSource fails on the update every time (after a *long* wait for
the upload). So I save locally and copy to SqueakSource, and just end
up with a mess. The VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 update was my attempt to
fix the problems from the failed updates yesterday, which seems to
have resulted in yet another broken update (failure on upload, no
ancestor history showing in the archive now).

I somehow managed to save VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
yesterday without ancestor history, which in turn leaves today's new
upload VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 without ancestor history.
Tonight I saved a new version VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 that is identical
to VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, but with the ancestor version
history restored. But now the new update VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 on
SqueakSource shows no ancestor history, although is does show the
ancestor history on my local archive.

My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
do for now.

Speaking of out of patience, uploading a large update to SqueakSource
(i.e. anything for oscog) is simply impossible. It looks like a memory
resource problem to me (*). Double the memory allocated to whatever
process the SqueakSource server is running on, and I'll bet it starts
working fine.

(*) Moderate sized MCZ updates upload without problems (e.g. VMMaker
trunk) but large updates (from the oscog VMMaker branch) do not. A
large update proceeds normally about half the way through the progress
bar, then turns to molasses. That suggests that something is running
out of memory and is starting to swap. D'oh.

Dave

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 21.04.2011, at 06:17, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 04:59:26AM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

>> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63
>> Author: dtl
>> Time: 20 April 2011, 10:18:02 am
>> UUID: c1d30608-304c-52b7-20ca-32f7a46c1508
>> Ancestors: VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>>
>> Re-save from VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 because VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
> and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60 were saved without correct ancestry.
>>
>> Actual ancestry:
>> VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62
>> VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>> VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
>> VMMaker-oscog-dtl.59
>>
>> Changes included here are from:
>>
>> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61
>> A second batch of updates from VMM trunk, primarily cosmetic but also
>> a class comment update and a couple of methods that had not previously
>> been pragmatized in oscog.
>>
>> Name: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
>> These changes are methods from the main VMM branch for which <#var:#type:>
>> declarations have been formatted with proper spacing. By updating these
>> in the oscog branch, all of these methods are identical in both branches.
>> All changes are cosmetic (no functional changes to the methods).
>
> I give up. I cannot commit oscog updates to SqueakSource because
> SqueakSource fails on the update every time (after a *long* wait for
> the upload). So I save locally and copy to SqueakSource, and just end
> up with a mess. The VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 update was my attempt to
> fix the problems from the failed updates yesterday, which seems to
> have resulted in yet another broken update (failure on upload, no
> ancestor history showing in the archive now).

MC first saves to the local package cache. It pops up the tiny blue version window. If anything goes wrong with the upload, you should use that window's "copy" button to try again.

> I somehow managed to save VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
> yesterday without ancestor history, which in turn leaves today's new
> upload VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 without ancestor history.
> Tonight I saved a new version VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 that is identical
> to VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, but with the ancestor version
> history restored. But now the new update VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 on
> SqueakSource shows no ancestor history, although is does show the
> ancestor history on my local archive.
>
> My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
> fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
> do for now.

This is what the "adopt" button is for. To fix up the ancestry, delete your working copy (do not unload it), then adopt the real ancestor from the list of versions in the repository. Click "changes" to see if that worked and makes sense. Then save.

- Bert -

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:46:44AM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 21.04.2011, at 06:17, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I give up. I cannot commit oscog updates to SqueakSource because
> > SqueakSource fails on the update every time (after a *long* wait for
> > the upload). So I save locally and copy to SqueakSource, and just end
> > up with a mess. The VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 update was my attempt to
> > fix the problems from the failed updates yesterday, which seems to
> > have resulted in yet another broken update (failure on upload, no
> > ancestor history showing in the archive now).
>
> MC first saves to the local package cache. It pops up the tiny blue
> version window. If anything goes wrong with the upload, you should use
> that window's "copy" button to try again.

It's a SqueakSource issue at this point, apparently related to size
of the file being uploaded. Repeating the uploads just results in
repeated failures. When doing the copy to SS, the file will eventually
arrive intact in the repository, but the progress bar in my image does
not quite reach completion, and eventually times out. Possibly I am
leaving my local system in an indeterminate state as a result.

> > I somehow managed to save VMMaker-oscog-dtl.61 and VMMaker-oscog-dtl.60
> > yesterday without ancestor history, which in turn leaves today's new
> > upload VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62 without ancestor history.
> > Tonight I saved a new version VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 that is identical
> > to VMMaker-oscog-EstebanLorenzano.62, but with the ancestor version
> > history restored. But now the new update VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63 on
> > SqueakSource shows no ancestor history, although is does show the
> > ancestor history on my local archive.
> >
> > My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
> > fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
> > do for now.
>
> This is what the "adopt" button is for. To fix up the ancestry, delete
> your working copy (do not unload it), then adopt the real ancestor
> from the list of versions in the repository. Click "changes" to see
> if that worked and makes sense. Then save.

Thanks Bert,

How do I delete my working copy without unloading it? That must be
the step I was missing.

Dave

On 21.04.2011, at 14:20, David T. Lewis wrote:

> How do I delete my working copy without unloading it?

Using the menu item right below "unload package".

- Bert -

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Igor Stasenko

On 21 April 2011 06:17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> ancestor history on my local archive.
>
> My apologies. I don't know how I broke this and I don't know how to
> fix it, but I'm out of time and out of patience so this will have to
> do for now.
>
> Speaking of out of patience, uploading a large update to SqueakSource
> (i.e. anything for oscog) is simply impossible. It looks like a memory
> resource problem to me (*). Double the memory allocated to whatever
> process the SqueakSource server is running on, and I'll bet it starts
> working fine.
>
> (*) Moderate sized MCZ updates upload without problems (e.g. VMMaker
> trunk) but large updates (from the oscog VMMaker branch) do not. A
> large update proceeds normally about half the way through the progress
> bar, then turns to molasses. That suggests that something is running
> out of memory and is starting to swap. D'oh.

Welcome to club, Dave! :)
Calm down and endure the pain.  :)
Just commit and then go make tea/cofee.. play chess in garden. Just
don't be nervous and don't lose patience! :)
It uploads stuff correctly (or just throws a timeout error, but that
is not indicating an error on server side).
Wait till it finish (usually on timeout, because it takes like 5
minutes to commit a new snapshot) , but in the end it seems to work
without errors.
So, just don't get confused with your local view in your image
(including package-cache dir).
What i found, that my local MC thinks that operation failed, while on
server is everything ok. Wiping out image & cache dir seems heals the
issue :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

stephane ducasse-2

David

would you mind trying to save on SmalltalkHub in a dummy project the file that drives you mad?
Because like that we can make sure SmalltalkHub handles well such a situation.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, stephane ducasse wrote:

> David
>
> would you mind trying to save on SmalltalkHub in a dummy project the file that drives you mad?
> Because like that we can make sure SmalltalkHub handles well such a situation.

As I noted here (and elsewhere) already, squeaksource.com is running slow
code, on a slow VM, on a slow machine. I built a squeaksource image on my
pc (2.4 GHz Core2), using Squeak 4.3 + the latest CogVM. Uploading
is very fast, creating a diff (which is possibly responsible for the
slow behavior of squeaksource.com) is a subsecond operation even for large
packages (>=1MB).

AFAIK SmalltalkHub doesn't send emails with diffs yet, and
http://smalltalkhub.objectfusion.fr/ is down at the moment.

Levente

On 21 April 2011 18:29, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, stephane ducasse wrote:
>

>> David
>>
>> would you mind trying to save on SmalltalkHub in a dummy project the file
>> that drives you mad?
>> Because like that we can make sure SmalltalkHub handles well such a
>> situation.
>
> As I noted here (and elsewhere) already, squeaksource.com is running slow
> code, on a slow VM, on a slow machine. I built a squeaksource image on my pc
> (2.4 GHz Core2), using Squeak 4.3 + the latest CogVM. Uploading is very
> fast, creating a diff (which is possibly responsible for the slow behavior
> of squeaksource.com) is a subsecond operation even for large packages
> (>=1MB).

Is there a way to migrate squeaksource data to updated image/VMs?
It would be nice.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Andreas.Raab

On 4/21/2011 19:23, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 21 April 2011 18:29, Levente Uzonyi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> would you mind trying to save on SmalltalkHub in a dummy project the file
>>> that drives you mad?
>>> Because like that we can make sure SmalltalkHub handles well such a
>>> situation.
>> As I noted here (and elsewhere) already, squeaksource.com is running slow
>> code, on a slow VM, on a slow machine. I built a squeaksource image on my pc
>> (2.4 GHz Core2), using Squeak 4.3 + the latest CogVM. Uploading is very
>> fast, creating a diff (which is possibly responsible for the slow behavior
>> of squeaksource.com) is a subsecond operation even for large packages
>> (>=1MB).
>>
> Is there a way to migrate squeaksource data to updated image/VMs?
> It would be nice.

IIRC, source.squeak.org currently runs on Squeak 4.1. The code is at
http://source.squeak.org/ss.html

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 21 April 2011 19:38, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/21/2011 19:23, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> As I noted here (and elsewhere) already, squeaksource.com is running slow
>>> code, on a slow VM, on a slow machine. I built a squeaksource image on my
>>> pc
>>> (2.4 GHz Core2), using Squeak 4.3 + the latest CogVM. Uploading is very
>>> fast, creating a diff (which is possibly responsible for the slow
>>> behavior
>>> of squeaksource.com) is a subsecond operation even for large packages
>>> (>=1MB).
>>>
>> Is there a way to migrate squeaksource data to updated image/VMs?
>> It would be nice.
>
> IIRC, source.squeak.org currently runs on Squeak 4.1. The code is at
> http://source.squeak.org/ss.html

yes, but what about data contained in image? or there is no such? i am
totally ignorant about squeaksource.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Tobias Pape

Am 2011-04-21 um 19:46 schrieb Igor Stasenko:

> […]
> yes, but what about data contained in image? or there is no such? i am
> totally ignorant about squeaksource.

It should be no that hard, but the last times I tried
I fached the problem to try migrating the data to
GemStone using SIXX, which blowed the SIXX engine :/.
Is there a feasible data exchange? If yes, I would focus
on that and help bringing SqueakSources to newer versions.

so Long,
        -Tobias

On 21.04.2011, at 19:46, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 21 April 2011 19:38, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/21/2011 19:23, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to migrate squeaksource data to updated image/VMs?
>>> It would be nice.
>>
>> IIRC, source.squeak.org currently runs on Squeak 4.1. The code is at
>> http://source.squeak.org/ss.html
>>

> yes, but what about data contained in image? or there is no such? i am
> totally ignorant about squeaksource.

Yes, it's simple. We did that when we updated to the 4.1 image.

- Bert -

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 06:17:25PM +0200, stephane ducasse wrote:

> David
>
> would you mind trying to save on SmalltalkHub in a dummy project the file that drives you mad?
> Because like that we can make sure SmalltalkHub handles well such a situation.

Stef,

I'm away and can't try it right now, but I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

Dave

Re: VM Maker: VMMaker-oscog-dtl.63.mcz

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 2011-04-21 um 19:46 schrieb Igor Stasenko:

> […]
> yes, but what about data contained in image? or there is no such? i am
> totally ignorant about squeaksource.

It should be no that hard, but the last times I tried
I fached the problem to try migrating the data to
GemStone using SIXX, which blowed the SIXX engine :/.
Is there a feasible data exchange? If yes, I would focus
on that and help bringing SqueakSources to newer versions.

Sorry my ignorance, but why you need a serializer ? I mean...the data of squeaksource is not just a bunch of .mcz in the server that can be easily copied?
which "data" is stored in the squeaksource image?  history?  which kind of objects ?

We (Martin mostly) are developing a fast binary  object serializer, kind of Parcels, called Fuel. http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel
Do you think it can help ?

Thanks

--