VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

Hello all,

I'm at a stage of stability in my port of Squeak to the Plan9 operating
system. I was wondering who I should contact, or where I should go, to
either submit my work or get access to the SVN repository of platforms
hosted at squeakvm.org. It didn't quite seem like the sort of thing that
should be put on the Mantis bug tracker, but I could be wrong.

Any push in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Alex,

On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm at a stage of stability in my port of Squeak to the Plan9 operating system. I was wondering who I should contact, or where I should go, to either submit my work or get access to the SVN repository of platforms hosted at squeakvm.org. It didn't quite seem like the sort of thing that should be put on the Mantis bug tracker, but I could be wrong.
>
> Any push in the right direction would be much appreciated!

If your port uses Cog then please send me a tarball of the files plus some description of any changes you had to make.  And thanks!!

> Thanks,
> Alex

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

Currently it does not use Cog, although that is actually my next step in
development if I have enough time! It just uses the normal interpreter
(as generated by VMMaker).

On 12/01/2014 10:34 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm at a stage of stability in my port of Squeak to the Plan9 operating system. I was wondering who I should contact, or where I should go, to either submit my work or get access to the SVN repository of platforms hosted at squeakvm.org. It didn't quite seem like the sort of thing that should be put on the Mantis bug tracker, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> Any push in the right direction would be much appreciated!
> If your port uses Cog then please send me a tarball of the files plus some description of any changes you had to make.  And thanks!!
>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

David T. Lewis

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 11:58:02AM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:

> On 12/01/2014 10:34 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I'm at a stage of stability in my port of Squeak to the Plan9 operating
> > > system. I was wondering who I should contact, or where I should go, to
> > > either submit my work or get access to the SVN repository of platforms
> > > hosted at squeakvm.org. It didn't quite seem like the sort of thing that
> > > should be put on the Mantis bug tracker, but I could be wrong.
> > >
> > > Any push in the right direction would be much appreciated!
> >
> > If your port uses Cog then please send me a tarball of the files plus some
> > description of any changes you had to make.  And thanks!!
>
> Currently it does not use Cog, although that is actually my next step in
> development if I have enough time! It just uses the normal interpreter
> (as generated by VMMaker).

Hi Alex,

I see that you have uploaded your Plan9-Compat.4.cs change set to the Mantis
issue, thanks for doing that.

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7821

I think that you are working with a "trunk" VMMaker as your base. I may be
able to help by testing your changes first with Linux and an interpreter VM.
>From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot for Cog.

I need to ask couple of questions so that I start from the right place:

- Are all of the changes for Plan 9 compatibility in the change set for VMMaker?
Or are there additional changes that need to be applied to the trunk/Cross or
trunk/unix source code? If there are platforms files, please follow Eliot's
suggestion of sending a tarball (or zip, or whatever is convenient). If it is
not too large, please send it directly to the vm-dev list.

- Which version of the VMMaker package did you start with? If you can give me
a specific VMMaker mcz file that you initially loaded, or tell me what Squeak
image you initially used, that would help. Or, try evaluating "VMMaker versionString"
in your VMMaker image, and let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Dave

On 12/02/2014 07:54 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 11:58:02AM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:

>>> If your port uses Cog then please send me a tarball of the files plus some
>>> description of any changes you had to make.  And thanks!!
>> Currently it does not use Cog, although that is actually my next step in
>> development if I have enough time! It just uses the normal interpreter
>> (as generated by VMMaker).
>>
> Hi Alex,
>
> I see that you have uploaded your Plan9-Compat.4.cs change set to the Mantis
> issue, thanks for doing that.
>
>    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7821
>
> I think that you are working with a "trunk" VMMaker as your base. I may be
> able to help by testing your changes first with Linux and an interpreter VM.
>  From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot for Cog.
>
> I need to ask couple of questions so that I start from the right place:
>
> - Are all of the changes for Plan 9 compatibility in the change set for VMMaker?
> Or are there additional changes that need to be applied to the trunk/Cross or
> trunk/unix source code? If there are platforms files, please follow Eliot's
> suggestion of sending a tarball (or zip, or whatever is convenient). If it is
> not too large, please send it directly to the vm-dev list.
>
> - Which version of the VMMaker package did you start with? If you can give me
> a specific VMMaker mcz file that you initially loaded, or tell me what Squeak
> image you initially used, that would help. Or, try evaluating "VMMaker versionString"
> in your VMMaker image, and let me know what it says.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

To answer your questions:

- I believe almost all of the changes in the change set are for VMMaker,
although there is a change to the abstract SequenceableCollection object
to add a doWithIndex:separatedBy: message.

- The version of VMMaker that I started with was VMMaker-dtl.350, which
I loaded from source.squeak.org/VMMaker into a Squeak-4.5 image.

I'll wrap up the platforms code into a tarball and send it to Eliot (and
the vm-dev list). Currently the platform code assumes that the
FilePlugin, SocketPlugin, B2DPlugin, and BitBltPlugin have been
generated as internal plugins with the interpreter code, I still need to
make changes for it to intelligently generate the makefile based on the
configuration (there are no autoconf tools in Plan9 so that will end up
being some script). So I will probably be making more changes as time
goes on.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

Hi Eliot,

Attached is a tarball of the platforms code. No changes had to be made
to the interpreter code or plugins, apart from those changes which occur
from the change set I made for VMMaker.

Thanks,
Alex

Plan9_platform.tar.gz (22K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 01:44:41PM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:

> On 12/02/2014 07:54 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> >>Currently it does not use Cog, although that is actually my next step in
> >>development if I have enough time! It just uses the normal interpreter
> >>(as generated by VMMaker).
> >>
> >Hi Alex,
> >
> >I see that you have uploaded your Plan9-Compat.4.cs change set to the
> >Mantis issue, thanks for doing that.
> >
> >   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7821
> >
> >I think that you are working with a "trunk" VMMaker as your base. I may be
> >able to help by testing your changes first with Linux and an interpreter
> >VM. From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot
> >for Cog.
> >
> >I need to ask couple of questions so that I start from the right place:
> >
> >- Are all of the changes for Plan 9 compatibility in the change set for VMMaker?
> >Or are there additional changes that need to be applied to the trunk/Cross
> >or trunk/unix source code? If there are platforms files, please follow Eliot's
> >suggestion of sending a tarball (or zip, or whatever is convenient). If it
> >is not too large, please send it directly to the vm-dev list.
> >
> >- Which version of the VMMaker package did you start with? If you can give me
> >a specific VMMaker mcz file that you initially loaded, or tell me what
> >Squeak image you initially used, that would help. Or, try evaluating "VMMaker
> >versionString" in your VMMaker image, and let me know what it says.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dave
> >

> Hi Dave,
>
> To answer your questions:
>
> - I believe almost all of the changes in the change set are for VMMaker,
> although there is a change to the abstract SequenceableCollection object
> to add a doWithIndex:separatedBy: message.
>
> - The version of VMMaker that I started with was VMMaker-dtl.350, which
> I loaded from source.squeak.org/VMMaker into a Squeak-4.5 image.
>
> I'll wrap up the platforms code into a tarball and send it to Eliot (and
> the vm-dev list). Currently the platform code assumes that the
> FilePlugin, SocketPlugin, B2DPlugin, and BitBltPlugin have been
> generated as internal plugins with the interpreter code, I still need to
> make changes for it to intelligently generate the makefile based on the
> configuration (there are no autoconf tools in Plan9 so that will end up
> being some script). So I will probably be making more changes as time
> goes on.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Ah, brilliant! Now I see what you are doing.

To summarize:

There are no changes to platforms/Cross or platforms/unix, and there is a
new platforms/Plan9 directory needed for the development that you are doing
for the Plan9 port of the Squeak VM.

Aside from that, your changes are in VMMaker (in the change set that you
attached to the Mantis issue) and these changes are needed to resolve issues
detected by the compiler on Plan9.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

This summary is correct. Is there anything else you need from me?

-Alex

Dave

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Alex,

     exactly what issues have you had with the Plan 9 compiler and what are the changes to VMMaker you had to make?  You may have already written a message on this.  Of so, can you send me a link to it.  Otherwise it will help me integrating to know.  The Cog VMMaker's translation-to-C subsystem is quite different from the trunk VMMaker and straight-forward integration is probably not possible.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot for Cog.

best,
Eliot

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

Hi Eliot,

A couple examples of the issues which are present that the Plan9 compiler complains about, and my changeset fixes:
Functions which declare a return type and don't return a value.
Absence of proper casting when assigning values.
Absence of proper casting of function pointers.
Some incorrect function parameters.

All pretty basic stuff, it just so happens that the Plan9 compiler is strict and cannot be told to back off on these points. I've looked at the Cog VMMaker, but haven't had a chance to try porting the Cog VM to Plan9 yet, so just the interpreter VM has been ported right now. Is there any chance that these changes just be in place for the interpreter VMMaker, or do you try to apply changes to both VMMakers?

Thanks,
Alex

On Dec 23, 2014 12:36 PM, "Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

 From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot for Cog.

Eliot

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Alex Franchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

A couple examples of the issues which are present that the Plan9 compiler complains about, and my changeset fixes:
Functions which declare a return type and don't return a value.
Absence of proper casting when assigning values.
Absence of proper casting of function pointers.
Some incorrect function parameters.

All pretty basic stuff, it just so happens that the Plan9 compiler is strict and cannot be told to back off on these points. I've looked at the Cog VMMaker, but haven't had a chance to try porting the Cog VM to Plan9 yet, so just the interpreter VM has been ported right now. Is there any chance that these changes just be in place for the interpreter VMMaker, or do you try to apply changes to both VMMakers?

There's no hurry.  When you're ready to compile Cog and/or Spur for Plan9 we can address the issues then.  The code in the Cog/Spur interpreter and the JIT is pretty clean.  The only warnings are to do with
- shifts beyond the integer range that are in scope at compilation time but are optimised out during compilation because they apply to 64-bit code that is not used in the 32-bit VM
- gcc warning about printf being used without a format string, when I'm passing a perfectly good string; it wants me to say printf("%s",s) instead of printf(s) and I'm too stubborn to waste the few bytes this would waste ;-)

So hopefully there won't be too many problems.  Has no one ported gcc to Plan9 yet?

Thanks,
Alex

Thank you!  A new platform is always exciting.

[...]

 From there, I should be able to forward the applicable changes to Eliot for Cog.

best,
Eliot

Eliot

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:30:49PM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:
> This summary is correct. Is there anything else you need from me?

Hi Alex,

I have merged your changes into the VMMaker package for the interpreter VM.
I made a few changes to merge it into the latest version and to avoid adding
new methods in Squeak trunk. I think that I have it right now, but I'd
appreciate if you have a chance to try the latest version (VMMaker-dtl.357)
and let me know if it now generates code that compiles properly on the Plan9
compiler. Please let me know if I made any mistakes in the merge, it is quite
possible that I will have done so.

Eliot,

It's quite likely that some of these changes will prove redundant with work
that you have already done in Cog for proper return type declarations.  But I
wanted to capture Alex's changes into the Montecello repository while they are
still fresh. One thing I do want to call to your attention is the inlineReturnTypes
dictionary that Alex added to the code generator. The interesting thing about this
is that it is used in TAssignmentNode>>emitCCodeOn:level:generator: to add type
casts for methods that typically were not properly declared for one reason or
another. That serves as a red flag for missing or improper type declarations
throughout the VMMaker code, and I suspect that it may prove to be a useful
diagnostic tool.

Dave

> On Dec 2, 2014 7:49 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > operating
> > platforms
> > that

> > in

> > be
> > Eliot

> > VMMaker?
> > trunk/Cross
> > Eliot's
> > it

> > give me
> > "VMMaker

> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > To answer your questions:
> > >
> > > - I believe almost all of the changes in the change set are for VMMaker,
> > > although there is a change to the abstract SequenceableCollection object
> > > to add a doWithIndex:separatedBy: message.
> > >
> > > - The version of VMMaker that I started with was VMMaker-dtl.350, which
> > > I loaded from source.squeak.org/VMMaker into a Squeak-4.5 image.
> > >
> > > I'll wrap up the platforms code into a tarball and send it to Eliot (and
> > > the vm-dev list). Currently the platform code assumes that the
> > > FilePlugin, SocketPlugin, B2DPlugin, and BitBltPlugin have been
> > > generated as internal plugins with the interpreter code, I still need to
> > > make changes for it to intelligently generate the makefile based on the
> > > configuration (there are no autoconf tools in Plan9 so that will end up
> > > being some script). So I will probably be making more changes as time
> > > goes on.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alex
> >
> > Ah, brilliant! Now I see what you are doing.
> >
> > To summarize:
> >
> > There are no changes to platforms/Cross or platforms/unix, and there is a
> > new platforms/Plan9 directory needed for the development that you are doing
> > for the Plan9 port of the Squeak VM.
> >
> > Aside from that, your changes are in VMMaker (in the change set that you
> > attached to the Mantis issue) and these changes are needed to resolve
> > issues
> > detected by the compiler on Plan9.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

Re: VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

Alex Franchuk

Hi David,

I've verified that VMMaker-dtl.357 produces code which compiles without
error and (seemingly) correctly on Plan9! Thank you for merging my
changes, I appreciate it.

-Alex

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:48:23PM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I've verified that VMMaker-dtl.357 produces code which compiles without
> error and (seemingly) correctly on Plan9! Thank you for merging my
> changes, I appreciate it.

Hi Alex,

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

Dave

tty

Re: Re: [Vm-dev] VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

tty

totally cool stuff.

---- On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:51:53 -0500 David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote ----