VM build questions from last board meeting

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Blocking inappropriate posts to vm-dev (was: VM build questions from last board meeting)

Ron Teitelbaum

Hope everyone doesn't mind but I'd like to jump in.

David was right to moderate.  There is no benefit to continuing this discussion.  Everyone working on the VM is extremely capable and dedicated to doing a really terrific job.  We all support and admire the work you are doing.  I see bugs and issues well isolated for development, I see great care going into protecting the dev build and swift corrections when something goes wrong.  I see everyone stepping up and solving real issues and supporting a large amount of change in an extremely professional way that frankly I'm very proud of! 

Let's move on!

I recommend putting the moderator bit back on for Jan.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jan,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Jan Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry for incident, put Pharo which i downloaded crashed, and the same with my old image and new vm and new 64 bit. 
Eliot is maybe just too good guy, but consequences for future and vm which are so complicated and unstable just pointing to his unmature and nonprofesional work. 

Specifically what is unprofessional and immature about my work?  The thread you originally responded to was one where I pointed out that the Pharo VM was out-of-date.  I referred to a bug that was mine (have you ever released software containing bugs?), and that I had fixed, as promptly as I could once I had an error report.  How is that being unprofessional?

Maybe Cincom is not financing him to do this nasty job to pharo and vm, but it seems so.

How do you conclude this from my actions?  And what specifically about what I've done for the Pharo VM is a "nasty job"?  Do you know that I am not responsible for the Pharo VM?  That I don't build it, and that I help maintain it pro bono.  Do you know that Spur is now faster than VisualWorks and once Scorch/Sista is stable and in production that the VM will be significantly faster than VisualWorks?  How is that in Cincom's benefit?

Thanks, and sorry once more for this incident.

Thanks for what, and specifically which incident to you refer to?

2018-03-28 3:36 GMT+02:00 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:

David T. Lewis wrote
> The vm-dev list has for many years been inhabited by talented and
> constructive
> people… We should all be proud of that.

Hear! Hear!

David T. Lewis wrote
> If anyone would like to see the messages that have been blocked so far,
> I will be happy to forward them to private email.

I'm interested in seeing them.

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-VM-f104410.html

--

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blocking inappropriate posts to vm-dev (was: VM build questions from last board meeting)

barniisk
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2

Specifically what is unprofessional and immature about my work?  The thread you originally responded to was one where I pointed out that the Pharo VM was out-of-date.  I referred to a bug that was mine (have you ever released software containing bugs?), and that I had fixed, as promptly as I could once I had an error report.  How is that being unprofessional?

For me is unprofessional any  advanced future improvements that leads to less stable and less robust vm. I dont need "significaly faster" vm ( speed of old squeak is acceptable ), i need less comlicated and more robust solution for future. 

Maybe Cincom is not financing him to do this nasty job to pharo and vm, but it seems so.

How do you conclude this from my actions?  And what specifically about what I've done for the Pharo VM is a "nasty job"?  Do you know that I am not responsible for the Pharo VM?  That I don't build it, and that I help maintain it pro bono.  Do you know that Spur is now faster than VisualWorks and once Scorch/Sista is stable and in production that the VM will be significantly faster than VisualWorks?  How is that in Cincom's benefit?

Why you are not still at CINCOM when you are so cool and smart? They should pay and want such a genius more than this open source community, or no?

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

Barger, you're doing a good job of making yourself look like an idiot. This is usually a good time to stop digging.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
In reply to this post by barniisk

On 29 March 2018 at 05:47, Jan Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why you are not still at CINCOM when you are so cool and smart? They should pay and want such a genius more than this open source community, or no?

​Personal attacks are not okay on any of our community mailing lists​. Stop it.

​- Bert -​

Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

Right. Eliot should make new vm just for himself, and then he will not be able to make any damagees to others... /// now kill me

2018-03-29 14:33 GMT+02:00 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

​- Bert -​

--
Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel

Hi, Jan.

There are many stable and robust spell checkers out there. How come you do not seem to make use of any of them? Well, I think we all agree that your posts could significantly benefit from less typos so that any justified argumentation that might be hidden underneath can be exposed. I consider such writing support basically "for free". Yet, you do not seem to care or even try, which makes me wonder: Can you even appreciate the effort one puts into a complex project for others to tackle even more complex projects?

As long as you, Jan, are not able to show even a little sign of understanding and compassion towards such a challenging endeavor of developing a fast, robust virtual machine, we all should simply observe -- not judge -- your actions while you will hopefully learn and work on your own professional skills.

And to our entire community: Keep up the good work! There will be sunshine after some rainy days. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 29.03.2018 16:17:27 schrieb Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

Right. Eliot should make new vm just for himself, and then he will not be
able to make any damagees to others... /// now kill me

2018-03-29 14:33 GMT+02:00 Bert Freudenberg :

>
> On 29 March 2018 at 05:47, Jan Barger wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>> Why you are not still at CINCOM when you are so cool and smart? They
>>> should pay and want such a genius more than this open source community, or
>>> no?
>>>
>>
> ​Personal attacks are *not okay* on any of our community mailing lists​.
> Stop it.
>
> ​- Bert -​
>
>
>

--
Ing. Jan Barger

www.barnet.sk
www.napri.sk

Right. Eliot should make new vm just for himself, and then he will not be able to make any damagees to others... /// now kill me

​- Bert -​

--

Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

There are many stable and robust spell checkers out there. How come you do not seem to make use of any of them? Well, I think we all agree that your posts could significantly benefit from less typos so that any justified argumentation that might be hidden underneath can be exposed. I consider such writing support basically "for free". Yet, you do not seem to care or even try, which makes me wonder: Can you even appreciate the effort one puts into a complex project for others to tackle even more complex projects?

“But let no one imagine that we were mere ascetics. There is no more complex pleasure than thought, and it was to thought that we delivered ourselves over.” 
 Jorge Luis Borges, The Aleph and Other Stories 

As long as you, Jan, are not able to show even a little sign of understanding and compassion towards such a challenging endeavor of developing a fast, robust virtual machine, we all should simply observe -- not judge -- your actions while you will hopefully learn and work on your own professional skills.

I am going a little bit backward, i know. But this is the right way for now.

And to our entire community: Keep up the good work! There will be sunshine after some rainy days. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 29.03.2018 16:17:27 schrieb Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

Right. Eliot should make new vm just for himself, and then he will not be
able to make any damagees to others... /// now kill me

2018-03-29 14:33 GMT+02:00 Bert Freudenberg :

>
> On 29 March 2018 at 05:47, Jan Barger wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>> Why you are not still at CINCOM when you are so cool and smart? They
>>> should pay and want such a genius more than this open source community, or
>>> no?
>>>
>>
> ​Personal attacks are *not okay* on any of our community mailing lists​.
> Stop it.
>
> ​- Bert -​
>
>
>

--
Ing. Jan Barger

www.barnet.sk
www.napri.sk

​- Bert -​

--

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by David T. Lewis

On 28 March 2018 at 20:44, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 07:29:13PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> Changing the subject line in case follow up discussion is needed.
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 12:02:25PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > The tone and wording of this post are not appropriate for this mailing list.
> > >
> > > As list admin, I have temporarily set the "moderate" bit on the poster's account.
> > >
> >
> > Let's not be too precious.  I'm happy to debate him on this and it's important.
> >
>
> I put a "moderate" flag on a list poster who had sent what I perceived
> to be a personal attack with abusive language and no meaningful factual
> content. I did this not only because the post was inappropriate, but also
> because abusive trolling can be harmful and distracting, and I thought
> it better to hit the pause pause button sooner rather than later.

Hi Dave,

I think your first instinct was appropriate.  
It was not a ban.  Acting immediately provides a strong direction to amend behaviour,
and keeping it short gives a second chance to do so.

I find this good advice...
>> Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. 
>> Remember: When that hacker tells you that you've screwed up, and (no matter how gruffly) tells you not to do it again, he's acting out of concern for (1) you and (2) his community. It would be much easier for him to ignore you and filter you out of his life. 

Going forward. 
I think its clear from the community outpouring how we appreciate Eliot.
Further defense of honour may be noise feeding a troll or leading Jan off topic.
So lets double our own efforts to keep our responses to Jan concise and technical focused
and monitor how that pans out.  

cheers -ben

>
> The vm-dev list has for many years been inhabited by talented and constructive
> people who like to do good work, and who like to help others do the same.
> I have quietly served as the list admin, and I have never had to deal with
> any problem more serious than an accidentally oversized PNG attachment.
> We should all be proud of that.
>
> If anyone would like to see the messages that have been blocked so far,
> I will be happy to forward them to private email. But unless the members
> of this list say otherwise, I will leave them blocked.

I have removed the "moderate" flag, and all is back to normal.

Dave

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by barniisk

On 29 March 2018 at 11:47, Jan Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:

For me is unprofessional any  advanced future improvements that leads to less stable and less robust vm. I dont need "significaly faster" vm ( speed of old squeak is acceptable ), i need less complicated and more robust solution for future. 

Much of the stability issues are not related to speed but to the conversion to 64-bits, which is *critical* for our community since over time modern operating systems are making it harder to run 32-bit applications.  A lot of the complexity is probably in the Cog-JIT, so perhaps StackInterpreter build of the VM would provide the balance of stability and speed you desire (@All, how would you rate that option?)

btw, again I ask...
1. Which OS version were you running Pharo on?  
2. Were you running 32-bit or 64-bit Pharo?
3. Which links did you download Pharo from?  i.e. what is the version/date of both VM and Image?   Often we can advise that specific VM/Image has a known bug that has since been fixed. 

cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

Much of the stability issues are not related to speed but to the conversion to 64-bits,

What i see on Eliot web pages are these most often occured words:

fast     ( cogblog )
double its speed      ( VW )
chip design support  ( hic current company )

But, where are the nice and beutiful high ideas like these from Allan Kay and others? 
Where are final simlicity and usability?  

Sorry this Eliot thinking and programming style ( assembler like thinking and supit overoptimizations ) is leading to some kind of all asociated programmers hell ...
COG, SPUR whatewer next - he is the number 1. in Open VM and it seems nobody else is care about where it leads and how to change it

which is *critical* for our community since over time modern operating systems are making it harder to run 32-bit applications.  A lot of the complexity is probably in the Cog-JIT, so perhaps StackInterpreter build of the VM would provide the balance of stability and speed you desire (@All, how would you rate that option?)

Maybe i will try anything where Eliot is not putting his hands.

btw, again I ask...

Pharo 6.1 on Debian Linux  

Both version, old images and vm work OK

3. Which links did you download Pharo from?  i.e. what is the version/date of both VM and Image?   Often we can advise that specific VM/Image has a known bug that has since been fixed. 

I will try squeak, and then give you my opinion. But i preffer Pharo for Seaside support and style and more proffesional look of webpage and previous good images and vms.

Jan.
www.mageo.club

Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

GAME OVER :)

One pair of my smelly socs ws  giga-scale, giga-hertz SoCs 

2018-03-30 5:26 GMT+02:00 Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

Much of the stability issues are not related to speed but to the conversion to 64-bits,

fast     ( cogblog )

But, where are the nice and beutiful high ideas like these from Allan Kay and others? 

Sorry this Eliot thinking and programming style ( assembler like thinking and supit overoptimizations ) is leading to some kind of all asociated programmers hell ...
COG, SPUR whatewer next - he is the number 1. in Open VM and it seems nobody else is care about where it leads and how to change it

which is *critical* for our community since over time modern operating systems are making it harder to run 32-bit applications.  A lot of the complexity is probably in the Cog-JIT, so perhaps StackInterpreter build of the VM would provide the balance of stability and speed you desire (@All, how would you rate that option?)

btw, again I ask...

I will try squeak, and then give you my opinion. But i preffer Pharo for Seaside support and style and more proffesional look of webpage and previous good images and vms.

Jan.
www.mageo.club

--
Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

Giga scale, giga hertz, washed SoCs 

2018-03-30 7:17 GMT+02:00 Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

fast     ( cogblog )

btw, again I ask...

Jan.
www.mageo.club

--

--
Ing. Jan Barger

29663988_925700127611720_952956118_n.jpg (103K) Download Attachment
29745652_925699554278444_911285773_n.jpg (110K) Download Attachment
29749125_925698994278500_1583271296_o.jpg (146K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

2018-03-30 8:12 GMT+02:00 Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

fast     ( cogblog )

btw, again I ask...

Jan.
www.mageo.club

--

--
Ing. Jan Barger

--
Ing. Jan Barger

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier

This looks more like psychotic symptoms and obsessional/delusional disorders than constructive and positive attitude.
This is not going anywhere but round in circles.
It's time to administer some remedy.
David, could you switch on the moderate flag ?

2018-03-30 8:14 GMT+02:00 Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

fast     ( cogblog )

btw, again I ask...

Jan.
www.mageo.club

--

--
Ing. Jan Barger

--
Ing. Jan Barger

Reply | Threaded
|

henry

+1

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 03:10, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
This looks more like psychotic symptoms and obsessional/delusional disorders than constructive and positive attitude.
This is not going anywhere but round in circles.
It's time to administer some remedy.
David, could you switch on the moderate flag ?

2018-03-30 8:14 GMT+02:00 Jan Barger <[hidden email]>:

fast     ( cogblog )

btw, again I ask...

Jan.
www.mageo.club

--

--
Ing. Jan Barger

--
Ing. Jan Barger

Reply | Threaded
|

barniisk

Here are some independent and ban free place. Lets see who is right. Thanks for support. I will put here all my feelings and answers. 
Here you can man me forever and am not responsible for your future mistakes, i just want to warn you.

--
Ing. Jan Barger

Reply | Threaded
|

David T. Lewis
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cellier

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 09:10:57AM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>  
> This looks more like psychotic symptoms and obsessional/delusional
> disorders than constructive and positive attitude.
> This is not going anywhere but round in circles.
> It's time to administer some remedy.
> David, could you switch on the moderate flag ?
>

Done.