VM camera plugin on the Pi

Herbert König
Hi,

with the Squeak VM that comes with the Pi there is a so.CameraPlugin
which I assume is the scratch camera plugin Tim mentioned earlier.

Can this be used from Squeak and what would I have to load to use it?

The (maybe) wrong colours are not a problem for me.

BTW I managed to use the camera via the OSProcess plugin.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

timrowledge

On 24-04-2014, at 2:12 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with the Squeak VM that comes with the Pi there is a so.CameraPlugin which I assume is the scratch camera plugin Tim mentioned earlier.

Yup. As long as you have a recent v4l setup installed on your Pi it should Just Work.

> Can this be used from Squeak and what would I have to load to use it?

Well, it’s being used from Squeak in the Scratch image, so yup. If you download the original scratch source package from http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_1.4_Source_Code you’ll be able to find the code in CameraPlugin. BUT you almost certainly won’t be able to run the vanilla image on any vaguely modern VM you might have around since there are a few primitives wrongly referred to (damn that progress) so you’ll also need to find the original Mac or Windows package to get their old VM as well.
Or you could almost certainly just read the changes file in a modern image with the filecodebrowser and pull out what you need.

> The (maybe) wrong colours are not a problem for me.

You might even feel like fixing the problem; it ought to be something simple relating to setting the colour map. I think. Maybe.

> BTW I managed to use the camera via the OSProcess plugin.

Cool! How?

tim
Strange OpCodes: CPP: Crush Plotter Pen

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

Herbert König

>> BTW I managed to use the camera via the OSProcess plugin.
> Cool! How?

nothing sophisticated. I just assemble the command line for raspistill.
I expanded my realTiny (TM) Linux knowledge on how to install a ramdisk.
I assume I can read jpeg from files like under Windows but before that I
will learn about Unix pipes and see if I can avoid disk IO at all.

Herbert

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

Herbert König
> Well, it’s being used from Squeak in the Scratch image, so yup. If you download the original scratch source package from http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Scratch_1.4_Source_Code you’ll be able to find the code in CameraPlugin. BUT you almost certainly won’t be able to run the vanilla image on any vaguely modern VM you might have around since there are a few primitives wrongly referred to (damn that progress) so you’ll also need to find the original Mac or Windows package to get their old VM as well.
> Or you could almost certainly just read the changes file in a modern image with the filecodebrowser and pull out what you need.

Thanks,

I get no class definitions in the code file browser but maybe that's
normal. But it shows the date of the methods and from that I assumed the
plugin is not for the Pi camera but for USB cameras. I checked in
Scratch (The camera can be accessed to to make a new costume) and it
doesn't work with the Pi camera.

Sometimes I'm too optimistic :-))

Oh, and the image doesn't run on a modern VM but I'm still using 3.8 and
this VM is old enough to run the image. My first experience with a MVC
image.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

timrowledge

On 24-04-2014, at 4:01 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I get no class definitions in the code file browser but maybe that's normal.

You should - did you notice the instance/class buttons? The browser I was referring to is actually labelled a File Contents Browser, accessed from the file browser by selecting a .st file and hitting the ‘code’ button. If you’re looking at a .changes file, use the menu to get ‘more…’ (at the bottom) and then in the second menu find ‘code-file browser’ and wait….

> But it shows the date of the methods and from that I assumed the plugin is not for the Pi camera but for USB cameras. I checked in Scratch (The camera can be accessed to to make a new costume) and it doesn't work with the Pi camera.

It should do if you have video 4 linux up to date on the Pi. Works on mine and I didn’t do anything other than the usual rpi-update stuff.

tim
State-of-the-art: What we could do with enough money.

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

timrowledge

On 24-04-2014, at 4:09 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24-04-2014, at 4:01 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I get no class definitions in the code file browser but maybe that's normal.
>
> You should - did you notice the instance/class buttons?

Check CameraMedia too for some usage code

tim
Useful random insult:- One chicken short of a henhouse.

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

Herbert König
Hey,

I'd really like to but..

- I open a FileList
-right click on the scratchSourceCode1.4.changes
-select more
-select code-file browser
-get an Error: Unmatched string quote    (maybe here's the problem)
-proceed
-get a File Contents Browser and whatever class I select 'There is no
class definition for  in this file

Same after a second download.

> It should do if you have video 4 linux up to date on the Pi. Works on mine and I didn’t do anything other than the usual rpi-update > stuff.

I was happy with apt-get update and didn't know about that. Ok now I
started rpi-update ....... wait and google for it ...... no error
apt-get update...upgrade

The Picam still does not work in Scratch and the only way i know  to use
it is in creating costumes.

Raspistill still works.

I assume that unless the camera works in Scratch it doesn't help to file
out the code from the Scratch dev image with my 3.8 VM.

Cheers,

Herbert

Am 25.04.2014 01:09, schrieb tim Rowledge:

> On 24-04-2014, at 4:01 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I get no class definitions in the code file browser but maybe that's normal.
> You should - did you notice the instance/class buttons? The browser I was referring to is actually labelled a File Contents Browser, accessed from the file browser by selecting a .st file and hitting the ‘code’ button. If you’re looking at a .changes file, use the menu to get ‘more…’ (at the bottom) and then in the second menu find ‘code-file browser’ and wait….
>
>> But it shows the date of the methods and from that I assumed the plugin is not for the Pi camera but for USB cameras. I checked in Scratch (The camera can be accessed to to make a new costume) and it doesn't work with the Pi camera.
> It should do if you have video 4 linux up to date on the Pi. Works on mine and I didn’t do anything other than the usual rpi-update stuff.
>
> tim
> State-of-the-art: What we could do with enough money.

Error# Unmatched string quote.gif (19K) Download Attachment
File Contents Browser ScratchSourceCode1.4.changes.gif (18K) Download Attachment
SqueakDebug.zip (2K) Download Attachment

Re: VM camera plugin on the Pi

timrowledge
Well I’m stumped. On my Pi it just started working as soon as I had the v4l installed.

On 25-04-2014, at 4:19 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -get an Error: Unmatched string quote    (maybe here's the problem)
Could well be. It is a very large file with a lot of junk in it.

> I assume that unless the camera works in Scratch it doesn't help to file out the code from the Scratch dev image with my 3.8 VM.
Well, if you’ve got the patience to go this far, why not give it a try? You know the shift-click-on-top-half-of-the-R in the Scratch logo trick to turn off screen-fill mode? Once you’ve done that you can get a browser and other basic tools and file out whatever you see as interesting

tim
Strange OpCodes: RDRI: Rotate Disk Right Immediate