VM more flexible for research?

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi folks. I am a newbie for both research and VM. However, in the little time I have been working on this, I always need some extra bits in the object header to do some experiments.
And the problem is that I always have only one :(

So I come to the idea of having a more flexible VM for the people that want to experiment with it.

The first idea was to remove compact classes. But of course, there may be much more ideas or things to do.

What do you think?

Cheers

Mariano

Re: VM more flexible for research?

johnmci

Well here is a non-obvious solution.
(a) take your handy Pharo image and convert it to 64 bits.
(b) take your handy 64bit VM that runs 64bit images, I believe you can build one for any platform.
(c) exploit the 32 extra free bits you'll find in the header.

On 2010-07-15, at 6:30 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Hi folks. I am a newbie for both research and VM. However, in the little time I have been working on this, I always need some extra bits in the object header to do some experiments.
And the problem is that I always have only one :(

So I come to the idea of having a more flexible VM for the people that want to experiment with it.

The first idea was to remove compact classes. But of course, there may be much more ideas or things to do.

What do you think?

Cheers

Mariano

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment