VM newbie

garduino

I'm a newbie with the VM but must sart dealing with these things.

Sorry if I ask something obvious or already asked, I done a quick
search and not found nothing.

The questions are relative to Windows VM, and are:

1. Having more than 1 vm on the box, the new downloaded VM start only
when you drag the image onto the vm but it doesn't run when you double
click the image. I registered (doing Open with) the new vm, but seems
that even the images are opened with the older vm. It's a windows
problem, that avoid to have more than an .exe to open an image when
such .exe has the same name (by example I've the possibility of Open
with squeak and croquet, but not more than 1 Squeak)?

2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: VM newbie

Igor Stasenko

On 20/03/2008, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I'm a newbie with the VM but must sart dealing with these things.
>
>  Sorry if I ask something obvious or already asked, I done a quick
>  search and not found nothing.
>
>  The questions are relative to Windows VM, and are:
>
>  1. Having more than 1 vm on the box, the new downloaded VM start only
>  when you drag the image onto the vm but it doesn't run when you double
>  click the image. I registered (doing Open with) the new vm, but seems
>  that even the images are opened with the older vm. It's a windows
>  problem, that avoid to have more than an .exe to open an image when
>  such .exe has the same name (by example I've the possibility of Open
>  with squeak and croquet, but not more than 1 Squeak)?

Yes, 'open' command is registered in shell. And from what you put
there depends what executable will run with given file as parameter.
In newer version of windoze you can edit a list of commands (so you
can put there 'open with old VM', 'open with new VM' e.t.c.). But
there can be only single default command, which executed when you
double-click on image.
And to execute any other command you need to right-click on a file and
select a command from menu.

>  2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
>  how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
>  possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
>  button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.

Yes, this can be disabled either by ignoring WM_CLOSE command or by
changing the window style to remove [x] button from titlebar & close
command from menu.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: VM newbie

garduino

Thanks by your help Igor.

2008/3/20, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

>  >  2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
>  >  how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
>  >  possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
>  >  button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.
>  >
>
>  Yes, this can be disabled either by ignoring WM_CLOSE command or by
>  changing the window style to remove [x] button from titlebar & close
>  command from menu.

Were I found this options to modify, don't seems to be on .ini.

Cheers.

Re: VM newbie

garduino

Forget it, found on .ini:

EnableAltF4Quit=0.

Cheers.

2008/3/20, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks by your help Igor.
>
>  2008/3/20, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>

>  >  >  2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
>  >  >  how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
>  >  >  possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
>  >  >  button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.
>  >  >
>  >
>
> >  Yes, this can be disabled either by ignoring WM_CLOSE command or by
>  >  changing the window style to remove [x] button from titlebar & close
>  >  command from menu.
>  >
>
>  Were I found this options to modify, don't seems to be on .ini.
>
>  Cheers.

Re: VM newbie

Andreas.Raab

Germán Arduino wrote:
> 2. I must recompile the VM to learn and add some simple things I read
> how to do on the documentation, but Imust to investigate if is
> possible to disable the behavior of the VM when you click on the close
> button on the Window. I've not found .ini or so options.

I was going to point you to squeakvm.org but it appears to be down right
now. In any case, you should read what's up there when it's back online.
There is actually an option which suppresses both Alt-F4 as well the
windows close button. Simply add the following line to your Squeak.ini

[global]
EnableAltF4Quit=0

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: VM newbie

garduino

Thanks Andreas, I just founded sometime before seeing your mail, but
thanks you by the response!

Cheers.
Germán.