VM only zip

K K Subbu

Hi,

Currently, Squeak VM binaries files.squeak.org/6.0alpha come with the
Image even though Image is available as a separate zip. The Image
constitutes more than half the download size and is often useless
because I update my image much more frequently than the VM binaries.

Is it possible to exclude the Image from the platform binaries to keep
them slim?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: VM only zip

marcel.taeumel

Hi Subbu,

if you only want to update VMs, visit https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog and pick a more recent one. If there is any new VM release (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases), which is also used in the bundles, you can find it here http://files.squeak.org/base/.

Well, I don't see any value in putting no-image "bundles" anywhere else on files.squeak.org.

Which platform are you using? Linux?

Best,
Marcel

Am 27.04.2020 11:18:15 schrieb K K Subbu <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

Currently, Squeak VM binaries files.squeak.org/6.0alpha come with the
Image even though Image is available as a separate zip. The Image
constitutes more than half the download size and is often useless
because I update my image much more frequently than the VM binaries.

Is it possible to exclude the Image from the platform binaries to keep
them slim?

Regards .. Subbu

Re: VM only zip

K K Subbu

On 27/04/20 2:57 pm, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> if you only want to update VMs, visit
> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog and pick a more recent one. If
> there is any new VM release
> (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases), which is
> also used in the bundles, you can find it here
> http://files.squeak.org/base/.
I was referring to release VMs used by people at large, not the test
builds used by vm developers.

> Well, I don't see any value in putting no-image "bundles" anywhere else
> on files.squeak.org
Image and VM have different build and patch cycles. VM binary is
typically smaller than the Image.

But by putting them together, people will be forced to download both at
the same time, even though their own Image may have been updated
regularly and contain their personal preferences and changes.

Fat downloads increase download time and the wear and tear on flash drives.

> Which platform are you using? Linux?
Yes.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: VM only zip

marcel.taeumel

Hi Subbu.

I was referring to release VMs used by people at large, not the test
builds used by vm developers.

Hmm... then why isn't the download on GitHub sufficient? What do you want du bundle with it?
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases

Image and VM have different build and patch cycles. VM binary is typically smaller than the Image.

Hmm... there are no bundles that use bleeding edge VMs at the moment on files.squeak.org/60alpha. New daily bundles are likely to not change the VM but always the image.

Sorry, if I still don't understand your concern. :-/ On https://squeak.org/downloads/, there is a link to the latest stable VMs.

Best,
Marcel

Regards .. Subbu

Re: VM only zip

K K Subbu

On 27/04/20 2:57 pm, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> If there is any new VM release
> (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases), which
> is also used in the bundles, you can find it here
> http://files.squeak.org/base/.

I didn't know about this directory :-(. It is easier than scraping
bintray or github.  It would be nice to have a README in the release
pointing to this base directory.

The pathnames for Linux are different from the corresponding zip in the
release directory. Is there another install/packaging step?

Regards .. Subbu