classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VM rendering on Windows looks weird after saving the image

Christoph Thiede

Hi all,

some of my images take a very long time to save, despite SSD, often more than 10 seconds. Image file is 700M and changes file 90M. During saving the image, the VM does not react so Windows is diagnosing Squeak might have hung up. It would be nice to show some kind of (VM-side?) progress bar instead ...

However, the actual problem is how my host window looks after the saving is complete and the VM comes alive again:

I can see this quite often after saving large image files. This state remains for around one second, then I can proceed using the image as usual.

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: VM rendering on Windows looks weird after saving the image

marcel.taeumel
Same here. Sometimes, I also get this gfx hickups when image saving takes long.

Best,
Marcel

Am 18.02.2020 09:27:50 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Hi all,

some of my images take a very long time to save, despite SSD, often more than 10 seconds. Image file is 700M and changes file 90M. During saving the image, the VM does not react so Windows is diagnosing Squeak might have hung up. It would be nice to show some kind of (VM-side?) progress bar instead ...

However, the actual problem is how my host window looks after the saving is complete and the VM comes alive again:

I can see this quite often after saving large image files. This state remains for around one second, then I can proceed using the image as usual.

Best,

Christoph

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Christoph Thiede

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

The image is garbage collected and compacted on snapshot, so the display may indeed move. However, post garbage collect the location of the display is updated, as after a normal full garbage collection.  Do you see such distortion on other garbage collections?  Can you please check in the VM Stats how long the compaction phase of the snapshot GC takes?  If that is as long as you see the distortion then the solution would be to defer display updates around at least the compaction phase.

Best,

Christoph

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Christoph Thiede

Hi Eliot,

Do you see such distortion on other garbage collections?

I could not yet reproduce this during GC.

Can you please check in the VM Stats how long the compaction phase of the snapshot GC takes?

You mean this:

GCs 1,151 (408 ms between GCs 196.6 ms runtime between GCs)
full 7 totalling 2,729 ms (1.21% runtime), avg 389.9 ms
marking 1,574 ms (57.7%) avg 224.9 ms,
compacting 1,155 ms (42.3%) avg 165 ms

The issue is sporadic. Today, I did not yet perceive it again. I can check this again directly after the next accident.

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2020 04:06:36
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Cc: Open Smalltalk Virtual Machine Development Discussion
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] VM rendering on Windows looks weird after saving the image

Hi all,

The image is garbage collected and compacted on snapshot, so the display may indeed move. However, post garbage collect the location of the display is updated, as after a normal full garbage collection.  Do you see such distortion on other garbage collections?  Can you please check in the VM Stats how long the compaction phase of the snapshot GC takes?  If that is as long as you see the distortion then the solution would be to defer display updates around at least the compaction phase.

Best,

Christoph

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Christoph,

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:53 AM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

Do you see such distortion on other garbage collections?

I could not yet reproduce this during GC.

Can you please check in the VM Stats how long the compaction phase of the snapshot GC takes?

You mean this:

Yes.

GCs 1,151 (408 ms between GCs 196.6 ms runtime between GCs)

full 7 totalling 2,729 ms (1.21% runtime), avg 389.9 ms
marking 1,574 ms (57.7%) avg 224.9 ms,
compacting 1,155 ms (42.3%) avg 165 ms

The issue is sporadic. Today, I did not yet perceive it again. I can check this again directly after the next accident.

So if compaction takes on average 0.17 seconds it is unlikely to be the cause of the distortion.  I wonder how we can debug this.  One way would be to run the VM from the console under GDB and then interrupt the gdb session if and when you see the distortion.  You'd have to be watching for it.  Then you could see what the BVM is doing while the distortion is showing, and check if displayBits et al (the address and dimensions of the bits that constitute the display) actually agree with the current display object.  Otherwise we're flying blind.

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2020 04:06:36
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Cc: Open Smalltalk Virtual Machine Development Discussion
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] VM rendering on Windows looks weird after saving the image

Hi all,

Best,

Christoph

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot