VM segmentation fault on NetNameResolver class>nameForAddress:timeout:

VM segmentation fault on NetNameResolver class>nameForAddress:timeout:

barger

Hi,

I compiled 64 bit vm from http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ with src32 for testing with my actual image.

Everything seems to work fine ( i run my websever with e-shop from this image with seaside ) , but

NetNameResolver class>nameForAddress:timeout:

End with Segmentation fault

Is there any newer or devel. version of sources or just this mentioned :

Squeak-3.8a-2.src.tar.gz      31-Mar-2005 16:11  3.1M

I will also try to fix this by myself, but why not to ask first someone which solved  it already ...

Jan Barger
www.barnet.sk

Re: VM segmentation fault on NetNameResolver class>nameForAddress:timeout:

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 10:03:42PM +0200, barger wrote:

> I compiled 64 bit vm from http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ with src32 for
> testing with my actual image.
>
> Everything seems to work fine ( i run my websever with e-shop from this
> image with seaside ) , but
>
> NetNameResolver class>nameForAddress:timeout:
>
> End with Segmentation fault
>
> Is there any newer or devel. version of sources or just this mentioned :
>
> Squeak-3.8a-2.src.tar.gz      31-Mar-2005 16:11  3.1M
>
> I will also try to fix this by myself, but why not to ask first someone
> which solved  it already ...

You should be able to build with the most up to date sources from the
Subversion repository at squeak.vm.org, along with the latest VMMaker
on SqueakMap.

I don't know the cause of the problem that you are seeing, but you
can probably get a better idea of what is going wrong by running your
VM under a debugger. If it turns out to be something specifically
related to 64-bitness, there is now a "Squeak 64 bit" category on
Mantis for tracking such things.

Dave

RE: VM segmentation fault on NetNameResolverclass>nameForAddress:timeout:

barger

Thanks, my faul. I will try mentioned subversion repository, because it
seems that it was just missing required SocketPlugin, not build from web
sources file.

Jan

You should be able to build with the most up to date sources from the
Subversion repository at squeak.vm.org, along with the latest VMMaker
on SqueakMap.

I don't know the cause of the problem that you are seeing, but you
can probably get a better idea of what is going wrong by running your
VM under a debugger. If it turns out to be something specifically
related to 64-bitness, there is now a "Squeak 64 bit" category on
Mantis for tracking such things.

Dave

RE: VM segmentation fault onNetNameResolverclass>nameForAddress:timeout:

barger

Image finaly compiled, but another problems with 64bit image ...

Found somewhere on web Ian message not to add in config param "src=XXbit"
... as mentioned on 2004-10-28 his page.

Can somebody else update http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/ ?

I see the big boy is here Piumatra and he is no able to correct official web
documentation for compiling for years ... maybe he is so good and always
bussy to give us new and better releases, but ...

Now i get message :

This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 0).

Is anybody else running 64bit image, and be so kind to give link to download
it ?

I was trying with SystemTracer64 writeImage: from last actual 3.9 RC3 but
still always fail on this version message.

Jan Barger

64 bit Squeak (was: VM segmentation fault onNetNameResolverclass>nameForAddress:timeout:)

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:04:21PM +0100, barger wrote:
> Now i get message :
>
> This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 0).

I think that you are trying to run a 64 bit image with a 32 bit VM.
The 64 bit image requires a separate VM executable, which you need
to build by generating sources with the "64 bit VM?" check box selected
in VMMaker. This VM is required in order to run an image with 64 bit
Smalltalk word size.

> Is anybody else running 64bit image, and be so kind to give link to download
> it ?

I run a 64 bit image occasionally, but only for the fun of seeing
it work. I also use it for updating various plugins that I maintain,
so they are 64 bit clean (OSPP, etc). Otherwise, I don't know of
anyone running 64 bit images right now.

One other important thing that you need to know is that the original
64 bit image on the "dist3" site does not work with a current VM.
I have attached a change set to show the method that has changed,
but it's a bit of a trick to actually do the update (I made a
custom hacked VM that tolerated either version of the image, and
used that to update the image to match the current VM).

I think someone announced a web site for distributing useful images.
I guess I can upload a patched 64 bit image there if noone else is
has a better plan.

> I was trying with SystemTracer64 writeImage: from last actual 3.9 RC3 but
> still always fail on this version message.

My understanding is that the system tracer only works on big-ender
machines (i.e. pre-Intel Macs).

There is now a "Squeak 64 bit" category on Mantis for tracking
64 bit Squeak issues. Currently there are three items that you
should read:

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5240
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5239
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=5238

Dave

WordSizeVMParameterFix-dtl.1.cs (611 bytes) Download Attachment