VM states for ubuntu integration

Damien Cassou-3
Hi,

I would like to have more information about vms:

- is the amd64 version working ? are the images compatible ? are the
sources files compatible ?
- is it possible to compile the vm for powerpc on linux ?

Thanks

Re: VM states for ubuntu integration

Lord ZealoN
2006/3/29, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,

Hi

> I would like to have more information about vms:

Come on

> - is the amd64 version working ?

I don't know about this.

> are the images compatible ?

The images are independetn of platform. You need only a image, and
each VM for each Platform you use (win, unix, mac etc..)

> are the
> sources files compatible ?

O_O The sources always are compatible.

http://www.squeak.org/Download/

> Thanks

Well, i'm new (and my english is horrible), but i hope to have helped you.

--

::Mi blog::
http://blog.lordzealon.com

Re: VM states for ubuntu integration

Damien Cassou-3

>>are the images compatible ?
>>

>The images are independetn of platform. You need only a image, and
>each VM for each Platform you use (win, unix, mac etc..)

On this website, it seems there are special images for amd64:
http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/

Thank you

Re: VM states for ubuntu integration

Lord ZealoN
But i think this is for the VM not for the image.

--

::Mi blog::
http://blog.lordzealon.com

Re: VM states for ubuntu integration

Julian Fitzell
No, I think there are 64 bit images because everything would now be
using 64 bits instead of 32 (not surprisingly).  As I recall, you can of
course make a 64 bit image out of a 32 bit image using a 64 bit
SystemTracer but that's probably not something you'd want to do during
an ubuntu install...

Julian

Lord ZealoN wrote:

> But i think this is for the VM not for the image.

>>>The images are independetn of platform. You need only a image, and
>>>each VM for each Platform you use (win, unix, mac etc..)
>>>

>>On this website, it seems there are special images for amd64:
>>http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/
>>
>>Thank you
>>

> --
>
> ::Mi blog::
> http://blog.lordzealon.com

Re: VM states for ubuntu integration

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:47:15AM -0800, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> No, I think there are 64 bit images because everything would now be
> using 64 bits instead of 32 (not surprisingly).  As I recall, you can of
> course make a 64 bit image out of a 32 bit image using a 64 bit
> SystemTracer but that's probably not something you'd want to do during
> an ubuntu install...

Definitely not.  Don't worry about the 64 bit images, just stick with the
normal 32 bit images, which are fully portable across all hardware platforms.

The 64 bit system tracer does not work on little-endian machines (Intel)
and AFIK actual 64 bit images are not being actively used or maintained
at the moment.

Dave