VMware - How Does It Relate to GLASS?

bprior
I'm a Smalltalker but so far using only Squeak and Pharo. Today I downloaded Gemstone/GLASS for Mac OSX, version 3.1.0.1. The exec file, GLASS-Appliance-1.0beta11.vmx (which looks suspiciously more like a Windows file than a OSX file) starts like this:

#!/usr/bin/vmware
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
etc.

I don't have any such vmware file in /usr/bin and it's not included in the GLASS download. Where is vmware supposed to come from?

I also downloaded the web edition of Gemstone/S for Mac OSX, version 3.1.0.1, and installed it. When I tried to run it, it wouldn't work because it needed a "keyfile," apparently available from VMware.

It's been a frustrating day. Am I misunderstanding something here? Are Gemstone/S and/or GLASS really free?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Bruce

Re: VMware - How Does It Relate to GLASS?

Dale Henrichs
Bruce,

Comments embedded ...

| I'm a Smalltalker but so far using only Squeak and Pharo. Today I
| downloaded
| Gemstone/GLASS for Mac OSX, version 3.1.0.1. The exec file,
| GLASS-Appliance-1.0beta11.vmx (which looks suspiciously more like a
| Windows
| file than a OSX file) starts like this:
|
| #!/usr/bin/vmware
| .encoding = "UTF-8"
| config.version = "8"
| virtualHW.version = "4"
| etc.

The GLASS appliance available from the GLASS downloads page is a VMware virtual appliance[2] and is intended to be used with a VMware player.

The version of GemStone in the appliance is fairly old and you should use the newer versions available for direct install.

[1] http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
[2] http://glass-downloads.gemstone.com/gss23/GLASS-Appliance-1.0beta11.1.zip

| I don't have any such vmware file in /usr/bin and it's not included
| in the
| GLASS download. Where is vmware supposed to come from?

VMware players are available here[3]

[3] http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

| I also downloaded the web edition of Gemstone/S for Mac OSX, version
| 3.1.0.1, and installed it. When I tried to run it, it wouldn't work
| because
| it needed a "keyfile," apparently available from VMware.

How did you install the web edition? If you used the installGemStone.sh script (recommended) everything should be setup for you and you only need to follow the instructions here[5] to get the system started.

[4] http://seaside.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone.sh
[5] http://seaside.gemstone.com/userguide.html#starting-gemstone

| It's been a frustrating day. Am I misunderstanding something here?
| Are
| Gemstone/S and/or GLASS really free?

Yes...

Dale

Re: VMware - How Does It Relate to GLASS?

James Foster-8
Bruce,

In addition to Dale's advice for using the VMware virtual machine and/or the command-line install script, I'll offer you another way to get GemStone running on your Mac OSX (10.6 or later). This approach is more Mac/GUI friendly, but is a very new goodie and not much tested.

- Download http://seaside.gemstone.com/jade/GemStoneApp.dmg
- Open the dmg file and copy the app to your Applications directory (or desktop or …)
- Launch GemStone (the new app)
- From the Setup tab, click Authenticate in the 'Helper Tool' section to do some setup (described above the button)
- From the Setup tab, click the Update button in the 'Versions' section to get a list of available versions
- From the Setup tab, click '3.1.0.1' in the 'Versions' list to download the product (this may take a minute or two)
- From the Databases tab, click the '+' button to create a database
- From the Databases tab, select the Backups tab and click 'Initialize GLASS extent …'
- From the Databases tab, click the 'Start' button
- From the 'GS List' tab, you should see three processes, a Stone, a cache, and a Netldi
- Use the stone name and the netldi port to log in using GemTools
- (ignore the Login tab and buttons as they don't work)

For GemTools, I think you can download "GemTools 1.0-beta.7.8 for Gemstone/S 3.1.0.1 all platforms"
from http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html and then try to do an update based on
http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsUpdate#Update_GemTools_Launcher. I'm not as
up-to-date on the GemTools side.

James