VNC/ RFB not working

Stefan Krecher
Hi,
i'm trying to work with the Squeak-VNC-Server, but it seems not to be
compatible with a 3.10.2 image. When i try to connect to a running
vnc-server in that image it throws "MessageNotUnderstood:
SystemDictionary>>isBigEndian".
When i add that method, connections don't seem to get established
(error-message on the client: "session closed").
Tried this with RealVNC, TightVNC and the VNC-Client in Squeak, used
RFB-33.cs as the VNC implementation.
Does anyone have a working solution to remotly access Squeak via vnc?
regards,
Stefan

Re: VNC/ RFB not working

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Stefan Krecher wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm trying to work with the Squeak-VNC-Server, but it seems not to be
> compatible with a 3.10.2 image. When i try to connect to a running
> vnc-server in that image it throws "MessageNotUnderstood:
> SystemDictionary>>isBigEndian".
> When i add that method, connections don't seem to get established
> (error-message on the client: "session closed").
> Tried this with RealVNC, TightVNC and the VNC-Client in Squeak, used
> RFB-33.cs as the VNC implementation.
> Does anyone have a working solution to remotly access Squeak via vnc?

The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from
http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at
least three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the
following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color.
IIRC you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory
feature.

Levente

> regards,
> Stefan

Re: VNC/ RFB not working

Stefan Krecher
2010/3/19 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
> The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from
> http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at least
> three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the
> following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color. IIRC
> you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
> On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory
> feature.

Thank you so much, that worked!
now i'm excited to see if i can use vnc to access that squeak-image on
my android-phone :-)

Re: VNC/ RFB not working

Stefan Krecher
2010/3/19 Stefan Krecher <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/3/19 Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]>:
>> The latest version on squeaksource works. You can load it from
>> http://squeaksource.com/RFB (Note that this package has been forked at least
>> three times.) We used to connect to the server with RealVNC with the
>> following settings: ZRLE encoding (disable auto select), Full color. IIRC
>> you should also turn off the "render cursor locally" feature.
>> On the server you should allow ZRLE and turn off the conserve memory
>> feature.
>
> Thank you so much, that worked!
> now i'm excited to see if i can use vnc to access that squeak-image on
> my android-phone :-)

that didn't work. When i connect a vnc-client to squeak running in the
android-emulator, the image crashes immediatly. This happens too, when
i connect with the RFB-Client running in the same image as the server
(on the emulator).

Re: VNC/ RFB not working

Mikael Kindborg-2
Yes that would be truly cool!