VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the current Squeak 4.5 image  (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).

Regards,
Nikolay

Re: VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Frank Shearar-3
On 10 September 2013 23:46, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's
> report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I
> have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the
> current Squeak 4.5 image
> (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).

Thanks very much, Nikolay!

(For the installer, be aware that Worlds changes some core bits, like
adding instance variables to Process. You will see a debugger pop up
asking you if you wish to proceed.)

frank

> Regards,
> Nikolay

Re: VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Casey Ransberger-2
Radical man! That's SOOOO cool. Thanks for integrating this stuff.

Sad reality is it'll probably be some time before I have the bandwidth to explore "the ultimate meta-undo" but this work is just so very important.

Good on you man! Thanks for bringing it to us.

On 11 September 2013 12:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 September 2013 23:46, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's
>> report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I
>> have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the
>> current Squeak 4.5 image
>> (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).
>
> Thanks very much, Nikolay!
>
> (For the installer, be aware that Worlds changes some core bits, like
> adding instance variables to Process. You will see a debugger pop up
> asking you if you wish to proceed.)

I see references to a WorldPlugin (IdentityDictionary >>
#primTestAelAt:ifNotFound: for instance). Where would we find this?

> frank
>
>> Regards,
>> Nikolay

Re: VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Bert Freudenberg
On 2013-09-11, at 14:25, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 September 2013 12:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10 September 2013 23:46, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's
>>> report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I
>>> have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the
>>> current Squeak 4.5 image
>>> (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).
>>
>> Thanks very much, Nikolay!
>>
>> (For the installer, be aware that Worlds changes some core bits, like
>> adding instance variables to Process. You will see a debugger pop up
>> asking you if you wish to proceed.)
>
> I see references to a WorldPlugin (IdentityDictionary >>
> #primTestAelAt:ifNotFound: for instance). Where would we find this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=WorldsPlugin+mcz

- Bert -

Re: VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Nikolay Suslov
Bert,

what do you think about having a repository for experimental stuff like Worlds, OMeta at source.squeak.org, bringing them closer to Squeak community?
The latest version of Worlds, refereed in the VPRI's report (http://tinlizzie.org/updates/exploratory/packages/Worlds-ael.67.mcz) is loaded fine to Squeak 4.4, but the changes introduced in Squeak 4.5 (Compiler,Parser,Encoder) break that compatibility. So, I had to correct little things and upload it to mine repository.

Regards,
Nikolay

On 2013-09-11, at 14:25, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 September 2013 12:00, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10 September 2013 23:46, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's
>>> report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I
>>> have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the
>>> current Squeak 4.5 image
>>> (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).
>>
>> Thanks very much, Nikolay!
>>
>> (For the installer, be aware that Worlds changes some core bits, like
>> adding instance variables to Process. You will see a debugger pop up
>> asking you if you wish to proceed.)
>
> I see references to a WorldPlugin (IdentityDictionary >>
> #primTestAelAt:ifNotFound: for instance). Where would we find this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=WorldsPlugin+mcz

- Bert -

Re: VPRI's Worlds package for Squeak 4.5

Frank Shearar-3
On 10 September 2013 23:46, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those who is interested in Worlds. so gracefully described in VPRI's
> report "Experimenting with worlds" by Aran Lunzer and Yoshiki Ohshima, I
> have prepared a version of the Worlds package, that is loadable into the
> current Squeak 4.5 image
> (http://sdk.krestianstvo.org/sdk/squeak45/Worlds-sn.73.mcz).

(I only get bits of time here & there to look at Worlds, so I'll keep
adding little note emails to this thread as I find things.)

The SetTest overrides should come out of the Worlds package. Some of
the test changes are simple recategorisations (#testRemoveIfAbsent),
while others look like useful additions to trunk (#testUnion).

frank

On 2013-09-11, at 18:33, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bert,

what do you think about having a repository for experimental stuff like Worlds, OMeta at source.squeak.org, bringing them closer to Squeak community?
The latest version of Worlds, refereed in the VPRI's report (http://tinlizzie.org/updates/exploratory/packages/Worlds-ael.67.mcz) is loaded fine to Squeak 4.4, but the changes introduced in Squeak 4.5 (Compiler,Parser,Encoder) break that compatibility. So, I had to correct little things and upload it to mine repository.

Regards,
Nikolay

IMHO, just because something was developed at VPRI does not make it more special than other projects. It's great if someone takes such a project and maintains it and improves it, but the best place to put it would be in an open repository, not a squeak.org one.

That said, we did discuss the idea of "community-maintained" packages before which should live near to squeak trunk but would not be preloaded in a full release image. Rather, they would ship with a release as separate files, be tested by the build server, etc. These are the only kind of packages I think should live on source.squeak.org itself. And those may include packages originated at VPRI, but mainly many others.

However, I think no serious work has been done yet in that direction.

- Bert -