VRML breaks collaboration?

RC

VRML breaks collaboration?

RC
Hello, list!

Among the various meanderings I've had within Croquet lately, I've been working with VRML.  I wonder if anyone can comment on the following?

By simply adding a VRML model to any of the demo worlds (e.g., KAT, SimpleDemo, MPEG Demo, Sailing, etc.) and then remotely connecting to said demo world, the world comes to a halt.  In particular, it turns red and a progress bar opens up stating,

"Checkpoint failure - searching image references..."

Naturally, the progress bar doesn't ever make it to the end.  Is there a fix for this?

There are good reasons why an environment such as Croquet should offer strong support for VRML and, ultimately, X3D.  Is it simply the case that Croquet's level of ability in this area is alpha quality?  If so, are there any plans in motion to address this?

Thanks,

-RC

Re: VRML breaks collaboration?

Howard Stearns-3
Sounds like a bug. [Somehow a piece of the on-island model (e.g., a
vertex list or some such) is being shared and held onto by something
off-island (some part of the importer). That's a no-no, and results
in a failure when a snapshot of the island is made for the new
participant.]

You can report it to http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting
with the steps to reproduce, including a model that reproduces the
problem.

I'm not sure how to answer the "alpha quality" question. I haven't
run across non-alpha quality VRML data transfer in any system, so I
tend to use other formats. (ASE, 3DS, OBJ, DAE,...)  But that's just
my (lack of) experience.  My own personal view (which others will
quite fairly disagree with), is that at this stage in the evolution
of a technology, I concentrate only on making the stuff that I need
work. I'll generally use a different way to get something done (e.g.,
by transforming serialization formats in programs that are designed
for digital content creation and exchange), rather than getting hung
up on something that isn't mission critical to my immediate project's
success.  If there are folks listening who find VRML to be a critical
part of their workflow, then they'll be quite interested to get a
reproducible test case.

-Howard