VW font setting

timrowledge
If there's anyone in the list that has recently used VW and knows how to get fonts set up to be actually readable in a VW8.3 system running on Ubuntu lite with the xfce4 window manager.... I'd appreciate any pointers to helpful info.

So far googling and digging into the colossal pile of code that appears to be font related has secured no effects whatsoever in getting anything better than almost utterly unreadable fonts for menus, buttons etc. My eyes hurt!

tim
A)bort, R)etry or S)elf-destruct?

Re: VW font setting

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-25, at 5:10 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If there's anyone in the list that has recently used VW and knows how to get fonts set up to be actually readable in a VW8.3 system running on Ubuntu lite with the xfce4 window manager.... I'd appreciate any pointers to helpful info.

I stumbled on a dreadful hack way to improve things noticeably by editing things like the magic numbers in DefaultSkin>platformStandardVariableWidthFont. Which is horrible, but at least I can actually see the menu lines now.

Let's try to make sure Squeak does this less annoyingly.

tim
BASIC is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

Re: VW font setting

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 26.06.20 um 02:10 schrieb tim Rowledge:
> If there's anyone in the list that has recently used VW and knows how to get fonts set up to be actually readable in a VW8.3 system running on Ubuntu lite with the xfce4 window manager.... I'd appreciate any pointers to helpful info.
>
> So far googling and digging into the colossal pile of code that appears to be font related has secured no effects whatsoever in getting anything better than almost utterly unreadable fonts for menus, buttons etc. My eyes hurt!

This is indeed a pretty unsightly part of VW. Linux just isn't the child of love there :-)

Holger Kleinsorgen implemented an interface to the Xft libraries which give you proper anti-aliased fonts in VW and
which is included (or should I say hidden) in the Contributed parcel list.

From the parcel manager, go to Directories->Contributed->Xft and load the Xft-DesktopIntegration parcel. Save&quit and
restart the image.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: VW font setting

timrowledge
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This makes actual readable fonts. Excellent.

If by any chance you have a suitable blog relating to VW matters, please consider mentioning this package on it; that way anybody else trying to google for visualworks/fonts/linux has a chance of finding and enjoying this most useful package.

> On 2020-07-03, at 4:24 AM, Hans-Martin Mosner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 26.06.20 um 02:10 schrieb tim Rowledge:
>> If there's anyone in the list that has recently used VW and knows how to get fonts set up to be actually readable in a VW8.3 system running on Ubuntu lite with the xfce4 window manager.... I'd appreciate any pointers to helpful info.
>>
>> So far googling and digging into the colossal pile of code that appears to be font related has secured no effects whatsoever in getting anything better than almost utterly unreadable fonts for menus, buttons etc. My eyes hurt!
>
> This is indeed a pretty unsightly part of VW. Linux just isn't the child of love there :-)
>
> Holger Kleinsorgen implemented an interface to the Xft libraries which give you proper anti-aliased fonts in VW and
> which is included (or should I say hidden) in the Contributed parcel list.
>
> From the parcel manager, go to Directories->Contributed->Xft and load the Xft-DesktopIntegration parcel. Save&quit and
> restart the image.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

tim
Never write software that anthropomorphizes the machine. They hate that.