Version numbers

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'm adding a required dependency that was missing (Glamour) to a baseline. The version will still load the same versions of all the main project's packages.

My sense is that this is a fix, so the baseline/version numbers should not change. It simply went from non-working -> working.

I'm asking (and thinking hard about version numbers) especially since I'd love to see semantic versioning adopted - that would be a huge step toward automating and trusting project dependencies...

Metacello versions are versions of the project, not the load script. It seems to me that most of us are creating a new version number every time we change anything in a version/baseline. This doesn't seem right to me. From the user perspective, what does it mean that a project is at version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3? It means that the project itself has changed - bug fixes, new features, etc. - not that the load script was e.g. refactored.

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Version numbers

Dale Henrichs
Sean,

The Metacello version is a load script and semantic (project version) ... when I use a #release version of project I don't expect the semantics or list of packages loaded to change ... both basically go hand in hand ...

It's why I try to promote the idea of creating the initial version in #development mode, then transition to #release when both the semantics and load issues have been resolved....

So once I've done a #release, "I don't change anything."

Now into the gray area... if your change doesn't affect the package versions and doesn't change which packages get loaded then it's legal to make the change ....

How can one make a useful change that "doesn't affect the package versions and doesn't change which packages get loaded?"

The only time this makes sense is that the change fixes a bug in the script ... typically changing the list or order of package so that a load completes ...

This also applies to fixing a version for a platform against which the particular version was never tested ...

You have to ask yourself the basic question:

  If someone is using this version in production, will my
  change adversely affect them?

If the answer is maybe or yes, then a new version is called for ... if the answer, is no or the results aren't deterministic anyway, then the change should be made...

Dale
| I'm adding a required dependency that was missing (Glamour) to a
| baseline.
| The version will still load the same versions of all the main
| project's
| packages.
|
| My sense is that this is a fix, so the baseline/version numbers
| should not
| change. It simply went from non-working -> working.
|
| I'm asking (and thinking hard about version numbers) especially since
| I'd
| love to see semantic versioning adopted - that would be a huge step
| toward
| automating and trusting project dependencies...
|
| Metacello versions are versions of the project, not the load script.
| It
| seems to me that most of us are creating a new version number every
| time we
| change anything in a version/baseline. This doesn't seem right to me.
| From
| the user perspective, what does it mean that a project is at version
| 1.1,
| 1.2, 1.3? It means that the project itself has changed - bug fixes,
| new
| features, etc. - not that the load script was e.g. refactored.
|
| Cheers,
| Sean

Re: Version numbers

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
This also applies to fixing a version for a platform against which the particular version was never tested ...
Yes, exactly. I've been thinking about that one a lot.

Dale Henrichs wrote
  If someone is using this version in production, will my
  change adversely affect them?

If the answer is maybe or yes, then a new version is called for ... if the answer, is no or the results aren't deterministic anyway, then the change should be made...
Okay, sounds perfect. Thanks for all the details!

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean