Video question

Andrew Burton-2
Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format, and I
wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.

I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that acceptable?
Thanks.

Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video:
http://profnano.org/code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv

--
Andrew Burton
[hidden email]

Re: Video question

Bert Freudenberg

On Nov 17, 2006, at 5:57 , Andrew Burton wrote:

> Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
> noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format,
> and I wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.
>
> I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
> calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that
> acceptable? Thanks.
>
> Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video: http://profnano.org/
> code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv

Works for me on a Mac, but only because I installed Flip4Mac. I
assume it will work on Win, don't know about Linux.

Generally we prefer something that can be played on Mac and Unix and
Windows, if possible without any additional software. I think only
MPEG fits that, and it even can be played back by Squeak. Flash
movies work pretty well across platforms, too, that's what Google
Video or YouTube use.

- Bert -

Re: Video question

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
Hi all,

Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On Nov 17, 2006, at 5:57 , Andrew Burton wrote:
>
>> Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
>> noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format, and
>> I wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.
>>
>> I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
>> calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that
>> acceptable? Thanks.
>>
>> Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video:
>> http://profnano.org/code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv
>
> Works for me on a Mac, but only because I installed Flip4Mac. I assume
> it will work on Win, don't know about Linux.
>
> Generally we prefer something that can be played on Mac and Unix and
> Windows, if possible without any additional software. I think only
> MPEG fits that, and it even can be played back by Squeak. Flash movies
> work pretty well across platforms, too, that's what Google Video or
> YouTube use.
>
> - Bert -

As a Linux user I prefer a format that can have players packaged by
default on Linux distros without any patents or other concerns. Your
video doesn't give me more that audio on my Ubuntu Linux machine and
would be nice to see the video you want to share with us.

I really appreciate your concern about proper formats for free
information interchange. Thanks a lot,

Offray

Re: Video question

Brad Fuller
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> As a Linux user I prefer a format that can have players packaged by
> default on Linux distros without any patents or other concerns. Your
> video doesn't give me more that audio on my Ubuntu Linux machine and
> would be nice to see the video you want to share with us.
Plays for me on Linux (FC5). I have the free codecs from mplayer:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

brad

Re: Video question

Martial Boniou
It's a good question indeed. I think we all should avoid the use of
proprietary codec. It's not in the open software spirit of squeak. I'm
working with Mac, NeXTstep and Linux so I am not able to play WMV9/10
format. Realplayer and Quicktime Sorenson don't work everywhere too.
I'm starting to do videos too; the goal is to build tutorial of seaside
for friends (and soon everybody with my website) who don't know anything
about smalltalk (but java/php). I chose DivX codec. It runs everywhere.
The robot of one of my friend which is built with ARM9 cpu can read it.

So Andrew, choose divx too. It's not a good format for streaming but it
works well and it compressed more. Remember to use easy-to-read font.

--
Martial

Offray Vladimir Luna Crdenas a écrit :
| Hi all,
|
| Bert Freudenberg escribió:
| >
| >On Nov 17, 2006, at 5:57 , Andrew Burton wrote:
| >
| >>Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
| >>noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format, and
| >>I wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.
| >>
| >>I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
| >>calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that
| >>acceptable? Thanks.
| >>
| >>Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video:
| >>http://profnano.org/code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv
| >
| >Works for me on a Mac, but only because I installed Flip4Mac. I assume
| >it will work on Win, don't know about Linux.
| >
| >Generally we prefer something that can be played on Mac and Unix and
| >Windows, if possible without any additional software. I think only
| >MPEG fits that, and it even can be played back by Squeak. Flash movies
| >work pretty well across platforms, too, that's what Google Video or
| >YouTube use.
| >
| >- Bert -
| >

| As a Linux user I prefer a format that can have players packaged by
| default on Linux distros without any patents or other concerns. Your
| video doesn't give me more that audio on my Ubuntu Linux machine and
| would be nice to see the video you want to share with us.
|
| I really appreciate your concern about proper formats for free
| information interchange. Thanks a lot,
|
| Offray

Re: Video question

Brad Fuller
Martial Boniou wrote:

> It's a good question indeed. I think we all should avoid the use of
> proprietary codec. It's not in the open software spirit of squeak. I'm
> working with Mac, NeXTstep and Linux so I am not able to play WMV9/10
> format. Realplayer and Quicktime Sorenson don't work everywhere too.
> I'm starting to do videos too; the goal is to build tutorial of seaside
> for friends (and soon everybody with my website) who don't know anything
> about smalltalk (but java/php). I chose DivX codec. It runs everywhere.
> The robot of one of my friend which is built with ARM9 cpu can read it.
>
> So Andrew, choose divx too. It's not a good format for streaming but it
> works well and it compressed more. Remember to use easy-to-read font.

AFAIK, DivX is a proprietary encoder. It may be free for decoding, but
you pay (at least I did!) for the encoder.
Where can you get it for free?

Alternatively, you could use Xvid - it's published under the GNU GPL
license:
http://www.xvid.org/Xvid-Codec.2.0.html
http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html

I use it all the time. It's nice, check it out.

Re: Video question

Martial Boniou
I made mistake, sorry. I am a bit confused in Divx/3vix/Xvid family.
It's true. Xvid is the codec one should use everywhere. I named it divx
but it's not.

Thanks.

--
Martial

| AFAIK, DivX is a proprietary encoder. It may be free for decoding, but
| you pay (at least I did!) for the encoder.
| Where can you get it for free?
|
| Alternatively, you could use Xvid - it's published under the GNU GPL
| license:
| http://www.xvid.org/Xvid-Codec.2.0.html
| http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html
|
| I use it all the time. It's nice, check it out.

Re: Video question

Enno Schwass
Hallo

> Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
> noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format,
> and I wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.
>
> I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
> calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that
> acceptable? Thanks.
>
> Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video: http://profnano.org/
> code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv

You could support ogg theora. Its patent free and as good as mpeg2.
I use it for all my video encoding.

check www.theora.org

to play on mac use vlc
to encode use ffmpeg2theora

I also recommend recordmydesktop under linux as screenrecorder

Hope it helps
Enno

Re: Video question

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Or OGG+Theora is other option. Could be better IMHO

Brad Fuller escribió:

> Martial Boniou wrote:
>
>> It's a good question indeed. I think we all should avoid the use of
>> proprietary codec. It's not in the open software spirit of squeak. I'm
>> working with Mac, NeXTstep and Linux so I am not able to play WMV9/10
>> format. Realplayer and Quicktime Sorenson don't work everywhere too.
>> I'm starting to do videos too; the goal is to build tutorial of seaside
>> for friends (and soon everybody with my website) who don't know anything
>> about smalltalk (but java/php). I chose DivX codec. It runs everywhere.
>> The robot of one of my friend which is built with ARM9 cpu can read it.
>>
>> So Andrew, choose divx too. It's not a good format for streaming but it
>> works well and it compressed more. Remember to use easy-to-read font.
>>

> AFAIK, DivX is a proprietary encoder. It may be free for decoding, but
> you pay (at least I did!) for the encoder.
> Where can you get it for free?
>
> Alternatively, you could use Xvid - it's published under the GNU GPL
> license:
> http://www.xvid.org/Xvid-Codec.2.0.html
> http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html
>
> I use it all the time. It's nice, check it out.

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Linux User: #370919
Skype: glpunzi
http://www.lordzealon.com