Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

Bob McQuaid
I've been trying to decide between using SL (which I don't like) or Croquet to develop a series of interactive simulations for an MBA Information Systems class.  I'm leaning toward Croquet, but can't seem to confirm if certain functionality actually works.  For example, is there a browser embedded in an island that can access off-island resources somewhere to be seen?  Can I actually run a PPT show in a window in-island?  I've

Mostly I find pictures of these things, but have yet to find a TEmbeddedApp that is functional.

I admit to being a noobie and a marginal programmer at best, but the thought of being an early adopter in this technology has appeal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob McQuaid

Re: Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

David A Smith
Hi Bob,

You might want to consider out Qwaq Forums, which is built on top of
Croquet. (See <http:/www.qwaq.com>.

We support drag and drop of office documents including PowerPoint. The
documents are then editable by the entire group in the space.

Regards,

David

Bob McQuaid wrote:

> I've been trying to decide between using SL (which I don't like) or
> Croquet to develop a series of interactive simulations for an MBA
> Information Systems class.  I'm leaning toward Croquet, but can't seem
> to confirm if certain functionality actually works.  For example, is
> there a browser embedded in an island that can access off-island
> resources somewhere to be seen?  Can I actually run a PPT show in a
> window in-island?  I've
>
> Mostly I find pictures of these things, but have yet to find a
> TEmbeddedApp that is functional.
>
> I admit to being a noobie and a marginal programmer at best, but the
> thought of being an early adopter in this technology has appeal.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Bob McQuaid

Re: Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

RichWhite
Hi Bob,

We at Greenbush were asking the same question a bit over a year ago and are extremely happy we went the Croquet route.  If you are interested to see what we are doing with it you can navigate over to http://edusim3d.com or check out a pilot video of ours here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFsxev-2sk

I was/am also very marginal with Squeak but we make heavy use of the KAT Demo code.  If you are not opposed to running a external VNC server to access your powerpoint that is the route we have gone in similar situations when we needed it.

Hope that helped a bit... feel free to contact me if you want any more info or details!

Regards,
Rich
======

On Jan 8, 2008 7:48 PM, Bob McQuaid <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been trying to decide between using SL (which I don't like) or Croquet to develop a series of interactive simulations for an MBA Information Systems class.  I'm leaning toward Croquet, but can't seem to confirm if certain functionality actually works.  For example, is there a browser embedded in an island that can access off-island resources somewhere to be seen?  Can I actually run a PPT show in a window in-island?  I've

Mostly I find pictures of these things, but have yet to find a TEmbeddedApp that is functional.

I admit to being a noobie and a marginal programmer at best, but the thought of being an early adopter in this technology has appeal.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob McQuaid

Re: Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

Darius Clarke
Hi Bob,

Is it critical for you that the PPT be run in PPT format?
How much animation is in the PPT presentation?

Perhaps you can recreate most of the presentation in the powerful
eToys/Morphic environment with the added effect that ... what's in the
presentation slide can affect the 3D environment and what's in the 3D
environment can affect what's in the presentation slide. Perhaps you
could even have a 3D window in (superimposed over) one of your slides
in your 3D environment.... Have you ever walked into a PPT slide? :-)

Cheers,
Darius

On Jan 8, 2008 6:38 PM, Rich White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> We at Greenbush were asking the same question a bit over a year ago and are extremely happy we went the Croquet route.  If you are interested to see what we are doing with it you can navigate over to http://edusim3d.com or check out a pilot video of ours here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFsxev-2sk
>
> I was/am also very marginal with Squeak but we make heavy use of the KAT Demo code.  If you are not opposed to running a external VNC server to access your powerpoint that is the route we have gone in similar situations when we needed it.
>
> Hope that helped a bit... feel free to contact me if you want any more info or details!
>
> Regards,
> Rich
> ======
>

> On Jan 8, 2008 7:48 PM, Bob McQuaid < [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I've been trying to decide between using SL (which I don't like) or Croquet to develop a series of interactive simulations for an MBA Information Systems class.  I'm leaning toward Croquet, but can't seem to confirm if certain functionality actually works.  For example, is there a browser embedded in an island that can access off-island resources somewhere to be seen?  Can I actually run a PPT show in a window in-island?  I've
> >
> > Mostly I find pictures of these things, but have yet to find a TEmbeddedApp that is functional.
> >
> > I admit to being a noobie and a marginal programmer at best, but the thought of being an early adopter in this technology has appeal.
> >
> > Thanks for your thoughts.
> >
> > Bob McQuaid

Re: Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

Morphle

Hi Bob,

Remaking your PPT slides in a Morpic environment should not be that
hard. You can also use (parts of) Sophie to ease this.

Having a full browser inside Croquet is also possible, but would
require a lot of programmig.
I have tested Webkit (the underpinnings of the Safari webbrowser,
Itunes and Iphone) as an add-on to Croquet and I estimate it would
take a week or 5 to program that.
It would give you a full multiplatform (windows, linux and mac os x)
webbrowser within Croquet. However, the browser would be off-island,
but its content (the rendered pages, everything within a browser
window) would be accessable within an island.
I would be happy to code this 'port' of Webkit for you. You could help
me secure some grant or funding to make this happen.

Merik Voswinkel

On Jan 9, 2008, at 2:48 AM, Bob McQuaid wrote:

> I've been trying to decide between using SL (which I don't like) or
> Croquet to develop a series of interactive simulations for an MBA
> Information Systems class.  I'm leaning toward Croquet, but can't
> seem to confirm if certain functionality actually works.  For
> example, is there a browser embedded in an island that can access
> off-island resources somewhere to be seen?  Can I actually run a PPT
> show in a window in-island?  I've
>
> Mostly I find pictures of these things, but have yet to find a
> TEmbeddedApp that is functional.
>
> I admit to being a noobie and a marginal programmer at best, but the
> thought of being an early adopter in this technology has appeal.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Bob McQuaid

Re: Virtual Learning Dissertation? - Second Life versus OpenCroquet

Florent THIERY-2
Hello,

> I have tested Webkit (the underpinnings of the Safari webbrowser,
> Itunes and Iphone) as an add-on to Croquet and I estimate it would
> take a week or 5 to program that.

Wow, this is an awesome idea ! Webkit seems to have gained a huge
adoption recently, partly thanks to it's lightning rendering speed and
standards compliance, it may well become the de-facto standard for
embedding webbrowsing into external apps (and in embedded devices
too).

> It would give you a full multiplatform (windows, linux and mac os x)
> webbrowser within Croquet. However, the browser would be off-island,
> but its content (the rendered pages, everything within a browser
> window) would be accessable within an island.
> I would be happy to code this 'port' of Webkit for you. You could help
> me secure some grant or funding to make this happen.

I just hope you'll find sufficient resources to do it !!! I agree that
vnc is but a quick but limited external application integration way
(notably, in the multimedia areas, latency and framerate come to
mind). I have been wondering about recent offscreen rendering
possibilities for gtk/gdk into applications like OpenCroquet, this may
be another way for experimenting. Not cross-platform though...

Regards,

Florent