Virtual machine applications

Azka Niazi
I am conduction a brief research on the advantages of virtual machine applications over the usual/conventional desktop applications. Roughly, I need to understand why building an interactive graphical environment like Scratch will be better on Squeak versus building it through other programming languages like Java.

Regards,
Azka

Re: Virtual machine applications

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Are you talking about native widgets ?

Because Java applications are actually run via a virtual machine as well
Ben

On 30 Jan 2014, at 02:27, Azka Niazi <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am conduction a brief research on the advantages of virtual machine applications over the usual/conventional desktop applications. Roughly, I need to understand why building an interactive graphical environment like Scratch will be better on Squeak versus building it through other programming languages like Java.

Regards,
Azka

Re: Virtual machine applications

EstebanLM
Both java and pharo are virtual machine based languages. Differences are not in that but in the nature of the languages: while java is strong typed, pharo and any other smalltalk are dynamic based. The advantages of the former are several, difficult of explain in just one mail (and also subject to endless debates), but you can take some:

- immediate feedback: you have a programming environment that changes while you code: no compile time, no deploy time to have feedback. Think on JRebel, but for everything and working since 30 years :)
- malleability: you can modify your program a lot easily with pharo than any other static typed system.
- productivity: it of course depends on the programmer, but general consensus is that using something like pharo gives you up to 10x productivity than using java.

so, there you have :)

anyway a question like this is not about virtual machine but about language, and probably better carried in pharo-users discussion list.

cheers,
Esteban