Visual Studio code Configuration for the VM

Visual Studio code Configuration for the VM

Guillermo Polito

Hi guys,

We have been using this week with Pablo a combination of Visual Studio Code, cygwin, and gdb to build and debug the VM to chase some issues during ffi calls in win64.

It was overall simple to setup, and though I thought it was going to be just a text editor with vitamines, it ended up being a really light but versatile IDE with code navigation, compilation and debugging integration.

But, since there were some little things over here and there like gdb source code mapping that was not so straight forward to find in the documentation, we thought it would be good to share it.

If somebody is interested in using a similar setup to work with the VM, I've left my configuration files in the following gist, including:

 - cygwin bash terminal integration (also with zsh, but that's pure cygwin)
 - task actions to build cog and stack vms on debug mode
 - launch configs to run both in debug mode with gdb attached

Cheers,
Guille & Pablo

Cheers,
Guille & Pablo

Re: Visual Studio code Configuration for the VM

Ben Coman

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 07:36, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, I think that is can be a good complementary tool.

Le ven. 11 janv. 2019 à 23:49, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi guys,

We have been using this week with Pablo a combination of Visual Studio Code, cygwin, and gdb to build and debug the VM to chase some issues during ffi calls in win64.

It was overall simple to setup, and though I thought it was going to be just a text editor with vitamines, it ended up being a really light but versatile IDE with code navigation, compilation and debugging integration.

My understanding of it was also that it was more an editor than a debugger.  Nice to learn there is more to it.

Another option is Visual Studio Community.  Its interesting to remember that VS on Windows can remotely compile
and debug on a Linux box.  - either WSL or on a cloud box.  Its something I've been meaning to try out.
Perhaps useful if a client needed VM support on a distro you didn't have locally.
* Visual Studio 2017  Linux development with C++  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiFuBczd6A)

cheers -ben