Visual programming and StarLogo TNG

david li-5
Hi,

   Just come cross StarLogo TNG from MIT. Its diagram based agent
programming pretty impressive. I am wondering if there is any similar
project for either Croquet or Squeak? Thanks.

<http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/>

David

Re: Visual programming and StarLogo TNG

Bob Courchaine
David Li wrote:

>   Just come cross StarLogo TNG from MIT. Its diagram based agent
> programming pretty impressive. I am wondering if there is any similar
> project for either Croquet or Squeak? Thanks.
>
> <http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/>

From the StarLogo TNG FAQ:

"What is the difference between Scratch and StarLogo TNG?"

"Both Scratch and StarLogo TNG share a common heritage with LogoBlocks,
a tool to create programs for Crickets. The two tools are written from
entirely separate code, but we do share ideas. The audiences are
different for the two products as well. Scratch is primarily designed as
a tool to make computational multimedia projects for kids, targeted at
Computer Clubhouses. StarLogo TNG is designed for more formal education
environments such as introductory programming classes, or subjects (such
as biology, chemistry, physics, etc.) where modeling is an important
part of the curriculum. They're both interesting tools, and you should
check out Scratch when it becomes available."

Scratch is built on Squeak.

http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/#scratch

Bob

Re: Visual programming and StarLogo TNG

Yoshiki Ohshima
  David,

>    Just come cross StarLogo TNG from MIT. Its diagram based agent
> programming pretty impressive. I am wondering if there is any similar
> project for either Croquet or Squeak? Thanks.
>
> <http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/>

  We have a system called "Kedama", a parallel particle system in Squeak:

http://www.squeakland.org/fun_projects/kedama/kedma_welcome.htm

It is *generally* faster than StarLogo, at least^^;  And I don't mind
going to 3D.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Visual programming and StarLogo TNG

david li-5
Hi Bob,

   Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't notice that Scratch was
done in Squeak. It looks great. I am looking forward to see its
summer release.

David