VisualWorks startup sequence

askoh
Administrator
Hi:

I would like to know what happens when I start VW
visual.exe visual.im
up to when the VisualLauncher is ready for user interactions.

A link to documentation would be great. A high level description and some startup code to read would be good.

Similarly, what happens when I end my VW with "Save and Exit"?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: VisualWorks startup sequence

Paul Baumann
This should be a good starting point:

Snapshot>>postSnapshotBootstrap
        "We're returning from a snapshot, bootstrapping from a disk image. Start up everything."
        Subsystem markAllInactive.
        self signalSystemEvent: #earlySystemInstallation.
        Processor activeProcess priority: originalPriority.
        self signalSystemEvent: #returnFromSnapshot.
        ObjectMemory primInformSystemReady.

Application code can show an interest in the events:

update: aSymbol
"       aSymbol = #aboutToSnapshot ifTrue: [].  "
"       aSymbol = #finishedSnapshot ifTrue: []. "
"       aSymbol = #returnFromSnapshot ifTrue: [].       "
"       aSymbol = #aboutToQuit ifTrue: [].              "

You'd have to review the notification sequences. Keep in mind that during save and return the active process is bumped to highestPriority (in Snapshot>>preSnapshot).

Paul Baumann

I would like to know what happens when I start VW visual.exe visual.im up to when the VisualLauncher is ready for user interactions.

A link to documentation would be great. A high level description and some startup code to read would be good.

Similarly, what happens when I end my VW with "Save and Exit"?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.