Vm crash from FileList

Hans Baveco
Vm crash from FileList

In the trunk image with latest updates installed (10026) the VM crashes when clicking through a number of jpg image files in the FileList. Crash dump attached…

Hans <<crash.dmp>>

crash.dmp (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Vm crash from FileList

Hannes Hirzel
Some jpg files cause this. Most of the jpg files don't.

--Hannes

On 4/29/10, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the trunk image with latest updates installed (10026) the VM crashes
> when clicking through a number of jpg image files in the FileList. Crash
> dump attached...
>
> Hans <<crash.dmp>>

Re: Vm crash from FileList

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 29.04.2010 10:55, schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
> Some jpg files cause this. Most of the jpg files don't.

I've noticed this as well, but only under windows.
Maybe the JPEG reader plugin has some memory problems (buffer overflow?
- C functions are always suspicious).

I wonder whether it could be reproduced without the image-in-filelist
hack, i.e. by simply opening several jpeg files in a row.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Vm crash from FileList

Hans Baveco
Re: [squeak-dev] Vm crash from FileList
You're right, with the following the VM immediately crashes (reading just 3 files):

| dir files slash |
 dir := 'f:\squeak3'.
 files := (FileDirectory on: dir)  fileNamesMatching: '*.jpg'.
 slash := FileDirectory slash.
 ^files collect: [:each | ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: dir , slash , each].
Hans

Am 29.04.2010 10:55, schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
> Some jpg files cause this. Most of the jpg files don't.

I've noticed this as well, but only under windows.
Maybe the JPEG reader plugin has some memory problems (buffer overflow?
- C functions are always suspicious).

I wonder whether it could be reproduced without the image-in-filelist
hack, i.e. by simply opening several jpeg files in a row.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

crash.dmp (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Vm crash from FileList

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I have found a 110kB sample jpg file which causes the MSWindows VM to
crash immediately *** whereas it displays the file properly under
Ubuntu.

I will happily sent the file to anybody interested having a look at this....

--Hannes

***
# Debug console
# To close: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show output console'
# To disable: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show console on errors'
Corrupt JPEG data: 1 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd9

On 5/3/10, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You're right, with the following the VM immediately crashes (reading
> just 3 files):
>
> | dir files slash |
>  dir := 'f:\squeak3'.
>  files := (FileDirectory on: dir)  fileNamesMatching: '*.jpg'.
>  slash := FileDirectory slash.
>  ^files collect: [:each | ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: dir , slash
> , each].
>
> Hans
>

> Am 29.04.2010 10:55, schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
>> Some jpg files cause this. Most of the jpg files don't.
>>
> I've noticed this as well, but only under windows.
> Maybe the JPEG reader plugin has some memory problems (buffer overflow?
> - C functions are always suspicious).
>
> I wonder whether it could be reproduced without the image-in-filelist
> hack, i.e. by simply opening several jpeg files in a row.
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

Re: Vm crash from FileList

Chris Muller-3
Perhaps to a Mantis report?

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have found a 110kB sample jpg file which causes the MSWindows VM to
> crash immediately *** whereas it displays the file properly under
> Ubuntu.
>
> I will happily sent the file to anybody interested having a look at this....
>
> --Hannes
>
> ***
> # Debug console
> # To close: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show output console'
> # To disable: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show console on errors'
> Corrupt JPEG data: 1 extraneous bytes before marker 0xd9
>

> On 5/3/10, Baveco, Hans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You're right, with the following the VM immediately crashes (reading
>> just 3 files):
>>
>> | dir files slash |
>>  dir := 'f:\squeak3'.
>>  files := (FileDirectory on: dir)  fileNamesMatching: '*.jpg'.
>>  slash := FileDirectory slash.
>>  ^files collect: [:each | ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: dir , slash
>> , each].
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> Am 29.04.2010 10:55, schrieb Hannes Hirzel:
>>> Some jpg files cause this. Most of the jpg files don't.
>>>
>> I've noticed this as well, but only under windows.
>> Maybe the JPEG reader plugin has some memory problems (buffer overflow?
>> - C functions are always suspicious).
>>
>> I wonder whether it could be reproduced without the image-in-filelist
>> hack, i.e. by simply opening several jpeg files in a row.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hans-Martin

Re: Vm crash from FileList

David T. Lewis
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 03:50:55PM +0000, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have found a 110kB sample jpg file which causes the MSWindows VM to
> crash immediately *** whereas it displays the file properly under
> Ubuntu.
>
> I will happily sent the file to anybody interested having a look at this....

Hannes,

I opened a Mantis report for this. Can you please upload your sample
jpg file here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7523

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Vm crash from FileList

Hannes Hirzel
Dave,

I have uploaded the jpg file to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7523.

It leads to an immediate crash on MSWindows whereas it displays fine on Ubuntu.

--Hannes

On 5/3/10, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 03:50:55PM +0000, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have found a 110kB sample jpg file which causes the MSWindows VM to
>> crash immediately *** whereas it displays the file properly under
>> Ubuntu.
>>
>> I will happily sent the file to anybody interested having a look at
>> this....
>
> Hannes,
>
> I opened a Mantis report for this. Can you please upload your sample
> jpg file here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7523
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Re: Vm crash from FileList

David T. Lewis
(CC to vm-dev list)

Hannes,

Thanks for providing the JPEG file.

This is Mantis 7523: Opening some JPEG files may crash Windows VM

Apparently certain (possibly corrupt) JPEG files can crash the Windows
VM, suggesting a problem with error handling in the support code or
external libraries. A file that reliably reproduces the problem is
attached to the Mantis report.

Dave