Warning!

Blake-5
Hey, gang:

        I got a couple of e-mails today from "[hidden email]"
with the subjects "the file" and "fwd: photo", which were infected with
virii.

        I wouldn't mention it here except for the "squeak-dev" part. I'm not sure
how someone would know I'm on the squeak-dev list.

        ===Blake===

RE: Warning!

Alan L. Lovejoy
Blake: "I got a couple of e-mails today from
"[hidden email]"
with the subjects "the file" and "fwd: photo", which were infected with
virii."

The e-mail address "[hidden email]" is the one I use
solely for my subscription to the Squeak mailing list.  I did not send you
any e-mails. I'll do a virus/malware scan though, just in case.

Thanks for the "warning."

--Alan

Re: Warning!

Hans-Martin Mosner
Alan Lovejoy wrote:

>Blake: "I got a couple of e-mails today from
>"[hidden email]"
>with the subjects "the file" and "fwd: photo", which were infected with
>virii."
>
>The e-mail address "[hidden email]" is the one I use
>solely for my subscription to the Squeak mailing list.  I did not send you
>any e-mails. I'll do a virus/malware scan though, just in case.
>
>Thanks for the "warning."

Viruses are known to take sender and recipient addresses from outlook
address books, mail files and web browser caches, so the virus sender
could be any member of this mailing list (and even folks who access the
mailing list's archive via a web browser).
So everybody using a Windows system should check for viruses. Regularly,
even when nothing has happened...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

RE: Warning!

Alan L. Lovejoy

Me: "I'll do a virus/malware scan though, just in case."

The result is no virii. The only malware detected were some cookies.

I use BitDefender anti-virus, DiamondCS's TDS3, SpyBot Search&Destroy and
BHODemon.

--Alan