We need a UI for Metacello/Loader

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. First of all let me clarify that all this email is though for new comers.

I think Metacello is a wonderful project and that's why we are adopting it in Pharo. I know Metacello has it's own UI:

http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/MetacelloTools

I also know there is Metaceller done by Doru.

But I think that the features Esteban Lorenzano implemented in      GoferProjectLoader are a MUST for a new comer. You can read them here:

http://www.smallworks.com.ar/en/community/GoferProjectLoader

Now...he doesn't plan to do a UI for that. My question if it would be a good idea to "extend" Metaceller or Metacello-OB so that to uses GoferProjectLoader features. Not necessary for Metacello 1.0 but maybe for 1.1. I think this is important, at least for Pharo. We don't have Universe neither SqueakMap anymore.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: We need a UI for Metacello/Loader

Tudor Girba
Hi,

Could you detail a bit the requirements?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Could you detail a bit the requirements?

Hi Doru. Basically, you should be able to use the GoferProjectLoader actions from a UI. In this link you can see all the actions:

http://www.smallworks.com.ar/en/community/GoferProjectLoader

Look where it says "Usage". I past here them just in case:

list Answers a collection with all available projects on configured repositories
search: Answers a collection of projects matching the string
managed Answers a collection of currently managed project names
availableVersionsOf:Answers a collection of available versions of project. WARNING: this command actually installs the configuration package if not present
versionOf: Answer current version of project
attributesOf: Answer current attributes of project. The answer is a Dictionary with following keys: Author, Timestamp, Description
repository: Adds a repository to current list of repositories, this repostory works just for this instance of GoferProjectLoader
repository:username:password: Same to #repository:, but also adds user identification
rememberRepository: Adds a persistent repository to current list of repositories
rememberRepository:username:password: Same to #rememberRepository:, but also adds user identification
removeRepository: Removes a persistent repository
load: load a project
load:group: load latest stable version of project, just the selected groups. A group can be a string (e.g. ’default’) or a collection of strings (e.g. #(’Core’ ’Test’)
load:version: load a specified version of project
load:version:group: load a specified version and group(s) of project
update Updates all configuration files for managed projects, and answers a list of new versions available for each project (if there is new versions)
update: Update the configuration for specified project
upgrade Upgrade all managed projects with new versions if any available. Be careful, this option can lead to a unusable image
upgrade: Upgrade specified project with latest stable version if it is newer than the version installed
upgrade:version: Upgrade specified project with specified version
upgrade:version:group: Upgrade specified project with specified version and group(s)

Of course, we can release a first version with the most important actions and then a second or third with the rest.

Cheers

Mariano