Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Nino Galante
This post was updated on .
Hi VSE list, someone knows if there is documentation and/or facilities about this topic? thanks in advance for your feedbacks

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Todor Todorov

The only thing I can think of were some bindings to some ancient web-services objects for Visual Basic (yes, the one before .Net), I believe published by Tec4.

Regarding HTTPS, I believe that I may have published the WinInet (or was it WinHttp) framework wrapping quite some years ago. It may have HTTPS support.

But I don’t work with VSE anymore and I don’t have it. The archives is the best option.

So, the short answer is, no good support!

-Todor

Hi VSE list someone knows if there is documentation and/or facilities about this topic? thanks in advance for your feedbacks

Sent from the Visual Smalltalk Enterprise mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Esteban A. Maringolo
There is also https://www.nsoftware.com/ipworks/

You can wrap its COM interface.
Esteban A. Maringolo

> The only thing I can think of were some bindings to some ancient
> web-services objects for Visual Basic (yes, the one before .Net), I believe
> published by Tec4.
>

> Regarding HTTPS, I believe that I may have published the WinInet (or was it
> WinHttp) framework wrapping quite some years ago. It may have HTTPS support.
>

> But I don’t work with VSE anymore and I don’t have it. The archives is the
> best option.
>

> So, the short answer is, no good support!
>

> -Todor

Andrew Ting
We do all our web service work in .net and expose methods using com, then create com wrappers in VSE.

If this technique interests you I could create an example for you.

Andrew
Policy Works Inc.
(Formerly tec4 systems inc. that Todor references)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 19, 2014, at 5:04 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is also https://www.nsoftware.com/ipworks/
>
> You can wrap its COM interface.
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> The only thing I can think of were some bindings to some ancient
>> web-services objects for Visual Basic (yes, the one before .Net), I believe
>> published by Tec4.
>>

>> Regarding HTTPS, I believe that I may have published the WinInet (or was it
>> WinHttp) framework wrapping quite some years ago. It may have HTTPS support.
>>

>> But I don’t work with VSE anymore and I don’t have it. The archives is the
>> best option.
>>

>> So, the short answer is, no good support!
>>

>> -Todor

Derek Renouf

Hi Nino,

I can give you the version of the code we received from Tec4. This has wrappers for WinInet and some WebService/SOAP/XML DOM support (that we’re not using actively, but did lovingly maintain).

We’ve also added some classes that extend use for HTTP/HTTPS, which is being used in production.

If you’re interested, are you using VSE or VS? I can file them out and send to you.

-- Derek

PS. We now use .NET with WCF and have a C++ interface wrapper that Smalltalk calls (similar approach to Andrew @ Policy works).

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Ivar Maeland

We abandoned trying to call web-services directly from VSE.

Instead we create .Net wrapper libraries (C#) and expose them to VSE using COM Interops.

Ivar Maeland, B.Sc., MCAD
Product Developer
Policy Works Inc.
Commercial Management Systems

Toll Free: 1.800.260.3676 ext.109
Direct: 403.450.1109
www.policyworks.com

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

R: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Lorenzo

Hi people,

I have set up some “patchwork” for HTTP support; you can find an example at: http://edor.no-ip.biz:8081/!servizio.

It is not a satisfactory and clean package, but it works for my needs.

I will be very happy to share it with people interested to use it or to improve it.

Lorenzo

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Nicolas Bryant-2

Yes, please, Lorenzo. :-)

It is not a satisfactory and clean package, but it works for my needs.

I will be very happy to share it with people interested to use it or to improve it.

Lorenzo

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Nicolas Bryant-2

Btw, has anyone tried using a shell web application (written in .NET, say) that communicates with a running VSE application using sockets rather than COM interop? Given that VSE COM servers have to be out-of-process servers, you might not lose much performance that way.

It is not a satisfactory and clean package, but it works for my needs.

I will be very happy to share it with people interested to use it or to improve it.

Lorenzo

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Ivar Maeland

I have not tried sockets.  It seems like too much work when  COM support is already in VSE and COM Interops are very simple to create in .net.

One thing I did find though is VSE COM implementation has some severe performance problems when it comes to large BSTR values.

In one example it was 100 times faster to write a string value to a temp file and read it from the temp file directly into Smalltalk rather than using BSTRs.

We since did some modifications to core BSTR classes to speed it up.

[...]

Henrik Høyer

We have been using SendMessageA(UserDLL) to communicate between Smalltalk and .Net applications.

Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect
[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092
Tigervej 27 • 4600 Køge
www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

Btw, has anyone tried using a shell web application (written in .NET, say) that communicates with a running VSE application using sockets rather than COM interop? Given that VSE COM servers have to be out-of-process servers, you might not lose much performance that way.

It is not a satisfactory and clean package, but it works for my needs.

I will be very happy to share it with people interested to use it or to improve it.

Lorenzo

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Web Services, WSDL and Https support on VSE

Nino Galante
Thanks to everyone for your help and your suggestions, I'll inform all you here if I'll succeed to do something :)