WebClient

12

WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi,

Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:

As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.

Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?

I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.

To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?

But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).

Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be

Re: WebClient

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi sven

> Hi,
>
> Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:
>
> As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.
>
> Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?

could be but not at the price to have concatenation of string and numbers.
So this means that somebody would have to do a pass on the code and produce a pharo version that squeakers may want or not.

> I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.
>
> To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?

to andreas?
may be ask him if he wants to have a version working also for pharo but without String#, override

> But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).
>
> Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
> Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
> .Mac - [hidden email] - http://homepage.mac.com/svc

Re: [SPAM] Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Stéphane,

On 11 Jun 2010, at 23:09, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi sven
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:
>>
>> As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.
>>
>> Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?
>
> could be but not at the price to have concatenation of string and numbers.
> So this means that somebody would have to do a pass on the code and produce a pharo version that squeakers may want or not.

I went over the code and produced a version of WebClient-Core (and WebClient-Test) that passes all units tests in Pharo 1.1 rc 2:

Filename: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.24.mcz
Author: Sven Van Caekenberghe
Timestamp: 14 June 2010 4:24:21 pm
UUID: 92b7f407-8df1-4472-962b-45d99f2364b8
Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.23.mcz

Filename: WebClient-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.12.mcz
Author: Sven Van Caekenberghe
Timestamp: 14 June 2010 4:25 pm
UUID: f495c2cd-54bb-42a9-a6d7-f380cd656f3f
Ancestors: WebClient-Tests-ar.11.mcz

Both at http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach.

The only remaining method needed from the old WebClient-Pharo package is String#squeakToUtf8

squeakToUtf8
        "Convert the receiver into a UTF8-encoded string"

        ^self convertToWithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new.

There are only 4 callers so I could change that as well, should I ? I checked the references to UTF8TextConverter and it feels as if you don't want a method like #squeakToUtf8 (apart from the name ;-)

>> I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.
>>
>> To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?
>
> to andreas?
> may be ask him if he wants to have a version working also for pharo but without String#, override

I will contact Andreas directly once I know your position on the last remaining item.

Sven

BTW, Is there a way to make a (old school) ChangeSet (or even another 'patch' package) out of the differences between versions in Monticello ?

>> But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).
>>
>> Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
>> Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
>> .Mac - [hidden email] - http://homepage.mac.com/svc

Re: WebClient

Since we agree that we want to use WebClient in pharo by default, it would be nice to start
pushing it into 1.2. I was waiting a bit to get some more feedback. What we could do
is
        - load it in 1.2
        - update it when andreas publish new versions
        - start forwarding to webClient
        - remove the other code slowly

What do you think?
Stef

On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:
>
> As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.
>
> Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?
>
> I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.
>
> To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?
>
> But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).
>
> Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
> Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
> .Mac - [hidden email] - http://homepage.mac.com/svc

Re: WebClient

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 13-08-2010 a las 12:11 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> Since we agree that we want to use WebClient in pharo by default, it would be nice to start
> pushing it into 1.2. I was waiting a bit to get some more feedback. What we could do
> is
> - load it in 1.2
> - update it when andreas publish new versions
> - start forwarding to webClient
> - remove the other code slowly
>
> What do you think?
> Stef

+1, I think Germán Arduino began the work to include WebClient in Pharo.
He could give an update.
Also, now that WebClient includes OAuth support Seaside apps and Pharo
in general could benefit by allowing connecting to Twitter and Facebook
sites.

Cheers

> On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:
> >
> > As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.
> >
> > Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?
> >
> > I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.
> >
> > To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?
> >
> > But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).
> >
> > Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.
> >
> > Sven
> >
> > --
> > Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
> > Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
> > .Mac - [hidden email] - http://homepage.mac.com/svc

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [SPAM] Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)

I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.

As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.

Sven

On 13 Aug 2010, at 17:24, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

> El vie, 13-08-2010 a las 12:11 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>> Since we agree that we want to use WebClient in pharo by default, it would be nice to start
>> pushing it into 1.2. I was waiting a bit to get some more feedback. What we could do
>> is
>> - load it in 1.2
>> - update it when andreas publish new versions
>> - start forwarding to webClient
>> - remove the other code slowly
>>
>> What do you think?
>> Stef
>
> +1, I think Germán Arduino began the work to include WebClient in Pharo.
> He could give an update.
> Also, now that WebClient includes OAuth support Seaside apps and Pharo
> in general could benefit by allowing connecting to Twitter and Facebook
> sites.
>
> Cheers
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Andreas Raab's 'new' WebClient/WebServer seems quite nice, as he says himself:
>>>
>>> As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in every respect.
>>>
>>> Is this something that will / should fit seamlessly into Pharo ? Or even become preinstalled ?
>>>
>>> I didn't try his ConfigurationOfWebClient since the last version was unreadable and it seemed like an experiment, while his textual explanation was easy to follow.
>>>
>>> To load it into and to make the unit tests run in Pharo 1.0 I had to make a couple of fixes (to WebCookie#printOn: and WebServer class#serverString). Who should I sent these changes to ?
>>>
>>> But even then 1 unit test failed (#testServerDestroy).
>>>
>>> Furthermore, some the changes in his package WebClient-Pharo seem a bit dangerous, especially a modification to SocketStream#peek (and the failed test was doing a peek) and an override of String#, some others are unneccessary as far as I can see.
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:[hidden email]
>>> Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
>>> .Mac - [hidden email] - http://homepage.mac.com/svc

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [SPAM] Re: WebClient

Stéphane Ducasse

> Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)
>
> I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.
>
> As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.

like that :)
>>> - load it in 1.2
>>> - update it when andreas publish new versions
>>> - start forwarding to webClient
>>> - remove the other code slowly

I do not feel as running behind. Just been pragmatic. The rewrite of network was a task on the proposal we wrote for inria
the engineer will just help/do something else and we use webclient and on a regular basis merge from the project of andreas
we did that for polymorph continuously in pharo 1.0.

stef

Re: [SPAM] Re: WebClient

Sven

I want now to integrate webClient in 1.2 do you have a suggestion where and which packages I should take?
Some in a Day at a beach ?

Stef

On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)
>
> I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.
>
> As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.
>
> Sven
>
> On 13 Aug 2010, at 17:24, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:
>
>> El vie, 13-08-2010 a las 12:11 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>>> Since we agree that we want to use WebClient in pharo by default, it would be nice to start
>>> pushing it into 1.2. I was waiting a bit to get some more feedback. What we could do
>>> is
>>> - load it in 1.2
>>> - update it when andreas publish new versions
>>> - start forwarding to webClient
>>> - remove the other code slowly
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>> Stef
>>
>> +1, I think Germán Arduino began the work to include WebClient in Pharo.
>> He could give an update.
>> Also, now that WebClient includes OAuth support Seaside apps and Pharo
>> in general could benefit by allowing connecting to Twitter and Facebook
>> sites.
>>
>> Cheers

>> --
>> Miguel Cobá
>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
The last version that I patched for Pharo is:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz

Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62

added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect

Andreas did not respond to my email...
The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.

Sven

On 23 Aug 2010, at 15:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Sven
>
> I want now to integrate webClient in 1.2 do you have a suggestion where and which packages I should take?
> Some in a Day at a beach ?
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)
>>
>> I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.
>>
>> As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.
>>
>> Sven

>>> +1, I think Germán Arduino began the work to include WebClient in Pharo.
>>> He could give an update.
>>> Also, now that WebClient includes OAuth support Seaside apps and Pharo
>>> in general could benefit by allowing connecting to Twitter and Facebook
>>> sites.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> --
>>> Miguel Cobá
>>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: WebClient

Stéphane Ducasse
excellent! excellent!
Let me know. I'm working on papers but I want to integrate such packages so that
brave souls can start removing some of the ugly part of Network :)

Stef

On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> The last version that I patched for Pharo is:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz

> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
> UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62
>
> added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect
>
> Andreas did not respond to my email...
> The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
> I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.
>
> Sven
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 15:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Sven
>>
>> I want now to integrate webClient in 1.2 do you have a suggestion where and which packages I should take?
>> Some in a Day at a beach ?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)
>>>
>>> I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.
>>>
>>> As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Well, I just ran the units tests in Pharo1.2a #12107 and with this version

http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64.mcz

Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 23 August 2010, 5:02:04 pm
UUID: 2cb4f11d-870a-45f0-bcde-e61351e7edf2
Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63

replaced SmalltalkImage current platformName with OSPlatform current platformFamily

We go from all red to 33 passed out of 39, 6 errors.

If we could solve his usage of #pathForFile I think we can make some more tests succeed.

I'll see if I can fix some more low hanging bugs.

Sven

On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> excellent! excellent!
> Let me know. I'm working on papers but I want to integrate such packages so that
> brave souls can start removing some of the ugly part of Network :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> The last version that I patched for Pharo is:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz

>> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
>> UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62
>>
>> added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect
>>
>> Andreas did not respond to my email...
>> The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
>> I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 23 Aug 2010, at 15:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> I want now to integrate webClient in 1.2 do you have a suggestion where and which packages I should take?
>>> Some in a Day at a beach ?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: WebClient

Stéphane Ducasse
excellent.

Stef

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Well, I just ran the units tests in Pharo1.2a #12107 and with this version
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64.mcz

> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 23 August 2010, 5:02:04 pm
> UUID: 2cb4f11d-870a-45f0-bcde-e61351e7edf2
> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>
> replaced SmalltalkImage current platformName with OSPlatform current platformFamily
>
> We go from all red to 33 passed out of 39, 6 errors.
>
> If we could solve his usage of #pathForFile I think we can make some more tests succeed.
>
> I'll see if I can fix some more low hanging bugs.
>
> Sven
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> excellent! excellent!
>> Let me know. I'm working on papers but I want to integrate such packages so that
>> brave souls can start removing some of the ugly part of Network :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> The last version that I patched for Pharo is:
>>>
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
>>> UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
>>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62
>>>
>>> added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect
>>>
>>> Andreas did not respond to my email...
>>> The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
>>> I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient

BTW sven did you sign the license agreement?
Could you do it?

        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/LicenseAgreement

no need for a nice stamp :)
you can scan it and send it to me by boring email :)
Thanks

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ListOfOkCommitters

On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/

Re: WebClient

Should I take the tests from your repository or from the one of andreas?

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Well, I just ran the units tests in Pharo1.2a #12107 and with this version
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64.mcz

> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 23 August 2010, 5:02:04 pm
> UUID: 2cb4f11d-870a-45f0-bcde-e61351e7edf2
> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>
> replaced SmalltalkImage current platformName with OSPlatform current platformFamily
>
> We go from all red to 33 passed out of 39, 6 errors.
>
> If we could solve his usage of #pathForFile I think we can make some more tests succeed.
>
> I'll see if I can fix some more low hanging bugs.
>
> Sven
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> excellent! excellent!
>> Let me know. I'm working on papers but I want to integrate such packages so that
>> brave souls can start removing some of the ugly part of Network :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> The last version that I patched for Pharo is:
>>>
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
>>> UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
>>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62
>>>
>>> added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect
>>>
>>> Andreas did not respond to my email...
>>> The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
>>> I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
OK, I am now down to: 39 run, 35 passes, 0 expected failures, 2 failures, 2 errors, 0 unexpected passes

with these changes (one in Network-Protocols):

http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/Network-Protocols-SvenVanCaekenberghe.55.mcz

Name: Network-Protocols-SvenVanCaekenberghe.55
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 23 August 2010, 5:39:26 pm
UUID: a4c1d9b7-7c93-4ef4-9d42-8d68469c4b88
Ancestors: Network-Protocols-StephaneDucasse.54

fixed some bogus use of #pathForFile

http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.65.mcz

Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.65
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 23 August 2010, 5:41:08 pm
UUID: ec666b24-88a0-4780-a620-c026e5329259
Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64

fixed some bogus use of #pathForFile
replaced #squeakToUtf8 with explicit UTF8TextConverter call
added yet another #asString

The 2 errors are really at the socket level.
The 2 failures in WebSockets, a newer spec I am not familiar with.

Sven

On 23 Aug 2010, at 17:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Should I take the tests from your repository or from the one of andreas?
>
> On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> Well, I just ran the units tests in Pharo1.2a #12107 and with this version
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64.mcz

>> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64
>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>> Time: 23 August 2010, 5:02:04 pm
>> UUID: 2cb4f11d-870a-45f0-bcde-e61351e7edf2
>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>>
>> replaced SmalltalkImage current platformName with OSPlatform current platformFamily
>>
>> We go from all red to 33 passed out of 39, 6 errors.
>>
>> If we could solve his usage of #pathForFile I think we can make some more tests succeed.
>>
>> I'll see if I can fix some more low hanging bugs.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 23 Aug 2010, at 16:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> excellent! excellent!
>>> Let me know. I'm working on papers but I want to integrate such packages so that
>>> brave souls can start removing some of the ugly part of Network :)
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: WebClient

why not taking the latest one core and test from webclient and reapplying your changes?

Stef

On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> The last version that I patched for Pharo is:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63.mcz

> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 12 August 2010, 10:46:11 am
> UUID: 149d44b2-138b-4d63-a158-f587b2bd391d
> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-ar.62
>
> added some more #asString's where needed to deal with the different semantics of #, in Squeak vs Pharo; removed usage of #and:and:and:and: with a composition of #and: in WebClient>>connect
>
> Andreas did not respond to my email...
> The Tests corresponding to WebClient-Core-ar.62 (the ancestor) are WebClient-Tests-ar.25.
> I am right now having a quick look at the unit tests in PharoCore 1.2.
>
> Sven
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 15:50, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Sven
>>
>> I want now to integrate webClient in 1.2 do you have a suggestion where and which packages I should take?
>> Some in a Day at a beach ?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I did some effort before and got Andreas to include a number of patches so that his WebClient-Core loaded into Pharo without a need for a compatibility layer. The lastest version does no longer have this property ;-)
>>>
>>> I again submitted some patches to Andreas ( http://forum.world.st/WebClient-Core-port-to-Pharo-1-1-final-td2322411.html#a2322411 ) but he hasn't responded yet. Futhermore, I did not yet fix everything, but the code works for my purposes.
>>>
>>> As I discussed with Stéphane, it is not clear for me how this must go further, since we keep on running 'behind'. So it is good to discuss this here.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe
OK, I will do that later today...

On 23 Aug 2010, at 17:40, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> BTW sven did you sign the license agreement?
> Could you do it?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/LicenseAgreement
>
> no need for a nice stamp :)
> you can scan it and send it to me by boring email :)
> Thanks
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ListOfOkCommitters
>
> On Aug 23, 2010, at 4:44 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/

Re: WebClient

Sven
andreas fixed a some behavior in socket and socketStream so may be we should use a more recent version of WebClient-Core
than of of 10 of august.
What do you think?

Stef

On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>>> WebClient-Tests-ar.25 from Andreas' WebClient repo
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 17:45, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Should I take the tests from your repository or from the one of andreas?
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I just ran the units tests in Pharo1.2a #12107 and with this version
>>>
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach/WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 23 August 2010, 5:02:04 pm
>>> UUID: 2cb4f11d-870a-45f0-bcde-e61351e7edf2
>>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.63
>>>
>>> replaced SmalltalkImage current platformName with OSPlatform current platformFamily
>>>
>>> We go from all red to 33 passed out of 39, 6 errors.
>>>
>>> If we could solve his usage of #pathForFile I think we can make some more tests succeed.
>>>
>>> I'll see if I can fix some more low hanging bugs.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 23 Aug 2010, at 17:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Sven
> andreas fixed a some behavior in socket and socketStream so may be we should use a more recent version of WebClient-Core
> than of of 10 of august.
> What do you think?
>
> Stef

OK, I can do that, but WebClient does not contain any magic socket or socketstream stuff, it just uses them.
I quickly browsed the diffs between my version, WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.64 (baed off WebClient-Core-ar.62) and WebClient-Core-ar.67 and it seems manageable (there is mostly just added functionality).

I will try to do this tomorrow.

Still, I don't like running behind someone who makes little or no effort to support us (not that I don't understand his point of view).

Sven
12