Website change, Squeek by Example Game?

Abuzar
Hi all,

I was going through a squeek-by-example tutorial.  Not the .pdf book.
It was a simple game tutorial on the Documentation page.  After the
website changeover, it has seemingly disappeared.  Is it now obsolete?
or no longer recommended?

I'm also noticing that Squeak 4.5 is rolling out.  Is this a big
change?  Should I hold off going through tutorials until they're
updated?

Abuzar

Re: Website change, Squeek by Example Game?

Abuzar
Hi all,

I'm still looking for that specific tutorial, and a recommendation on
whether it's obsolete or other advice.  A response would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Abuzar

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Abuzar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was going through a squeek-by-example tutorial.  Not the .pdf book.
> It was a simple game tutorial on the Documentation page.  After the
> website changeover, it has seemingly disappeared.  Is it now obsolete?
> or no longer recommended?
>
> I'm also noticing that Squeak 4.5 is rolling out.  Is this a big
> change?  Should I hold off going through tutorials until they're
> updated?
>
> Abuzar

Re: Website change, Squeek by Example Game?

Ben Coman
Sorry I'm not familiar with the tutorial you are referring to.  However a good alternative is Stephan B Wessels Laser Game tutorial [1].
Unfortunately it has been updated since 3.9, but I think its still worth doing as one of the best.

[1] http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/

cheers -ben

Abuzar wrote:
[...]

Hi Ben,

That's it!  That's the tutorial I was going through when it
disappeared from the website.  I'm not sure, but the look and feel is
a bit different?  Maybe a copy of it was on the website?  Or maybe
just the main index looks a bit different?  Anyhow that's the tutorial
and I'll continue with Section 2 now.

So far I think it's a decent tutorial.  If there's time and energy, it
might be good to update it (yes, I'm running across some
inconsistencies between version 3.9 and 4.4, but have managed to
guess/figure stuff out), and put it back on the website?  At first
glance, I prefer it as a starting point over the SBE book, which I
intend to go through after this tutorial.

Thanks!
Abuzar

Abuzar wrote:
Hi Ben,

That's it!  That's the tutorial I was going through when it
disappeared from the website.  I'm not sure, but the look and feel is
a bit different?  Maybe a copy of it was on the website?  Or maybe
just the main index looks a bit different?  Anyhow that's the tutorial
and I'll continue with Section 2 now.

So far I think it's a decent tutorial.

If there's time and energy, it
might be good to update it (yes, I'm running across some
inconsistencies between version 3.9 and 4.4, but have managed to
guess/figure stuff out), and put it back on the website?
That is something I would be interested in putting some energy into - for both Squeak and Pharo.  I have previously emailed the author asking permission to do that but there was no response.
cheers -ben