What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

dshaw
Hello all - please be patient with the noob.

Having read much of the material at http://www.opencroquet.org and the
“Important questions for me..” thread, I’m trying to clarify in my mind
what Croquet actually is and perhaps is not.

The wiki references SecondLife quite frequently leading this reader to the
impression that Croquet may be in some way(s) a similar platform but with
fundamentally different architecture. Hence I think the nature of the questions
raised by [hidden email].

However I’m beginning to think of it more as a development platform upon
which something like SL could be built. Would anyone care to enlighten me? I
would appreciate it very much.

Thanks and best regards to all.

Doug Shaw

Re: What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

David Faught
> Hello all - please be patient with the noob.

Hi Doug,

> Having read much of the material at http://www.opencroquet.org and the
> "Important questions for me.." thread, I'm trying to clarify in my mind
> what Croquet actually is and perhaps is not.
>
> The wiki references SecondLife quite frequently leading this reader to the
> impression that Croquet may be in some way(s) a similar platform but with
> fundamentally different architecture. Hence I think the nature of the questions
> raised by [hidden email].
>
> However I'm beginning to think of it more as a development platform upon
> which something like SL could be built. Would anyone care to enlighten me? I
> would appreciate it very much.

Croquet is very much a development platform, and it has a
fundamentally different architecture from SL.  It comes complete with
a few examples of potential user applications, which noobs often think
are finished end-user systems.  Right now, Croquet really has no
polished end-user environment.  However, if that is what you are
looking for, you might want to look at the proprietary Qwaq Forums
(http://www.qwaq.com) which is based on the open source Croquet
project.

Regards,
Dave

Re: What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

dshaw
Thanks for your reply Dave.

I think with your comments and additional consideration I'm settled on the
platform vs. environment argument - Croquet as development platform, SL as
environment.

My interest actually is in a platform upon which next generation enterprise
level applications can be built and implemented. I think there are considerable
business value opportunities in, at minimum, leveraging the z dimension. Also
of interest is what appears to be the decentralized, distributed foundation
upon which Croquet is based.

Thanks again for your response,

Doug Shaw

Re: What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

Ric Moore
On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 03:26 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Dave.
>
> I think with your comments and additional consideration I'm settled on the
> platform vs. environment argument - Croquet as development platform, SL as
> environment.
>
> My interest actually is in a platform upon which next generation enterprise
> level applications can be built and implemented. I think there are considerable
> business value opportunities in, at minimum, leveraging the z dimension. Also
> of interest is what appears to be the decentralized, distributed foundation
> upon which Croquet is based.
>
> Thanks again for your response,

Plus it is "Open Sources", that is always a big consideration. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Re: What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

Julian Lombardi
http://jlombardi.blogspot.com/2007/11/how-croquet-is-different.html

On Dec 20, 2007, at 4:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hello all - please be patient with the noob.

Having read much of the material at http://www.opencroquet.org and the
“Important questions for me..” thread, I’m trying to clarify in my mind
what Croquet actually is and perhaps is not.

The wiki references SecondLife quite frequently leading this reader to the
impression that Croquet may be in some way(s) a similar platform but with
fundamentally different architecture. Hence I think the nature of the questions
raised by [hidden email].

However I’m beginning to think of it more as a development platform upon
which something like SL could be built. Would anyone care to enlighten me? I
would appreciate it very much.

Thanks and best regards to all.

Doug Shaw

Julian Lombardi, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President
Academic Services and Technology Support
Duke University Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 2109
Durham, North Carolina 27701
United States of America

+1.919.323.5016 mobile / primary
+1.919.668.9547 fax
+1.919.668.0341 admin/scheduling

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"  - Alan Kay

Re: What Croquet Is - Please Help Me Understand

dshaw
Thanks for the links Julian. My understanding is clear now. I should have given
more weight to the SDK reference. Croquet is in alignment with with my current
envisioning. Among other things I've been writing code both recreationally and
professionally for over 25 years so I'm comfortable in that space.

Thanks again,

Doug Shaw