What can we look forward to in 2017?

horrido
Fellow Pharoers: What is the most exciting development in 2017 to look forward to? I'm asking for things to put into the end-of-year post in my "Make Smalltalk Great Again!" campaign. Thanks.

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

As an alternative to "most exciting developments for next year" I would
propose "Mapping the place that Smalltalk/Pharo has for you". For
example, if someone is interested in data driven storytelling,
interactive documentation, reproducible research, and/or data activism,
I would think that Grafoscopio[1] is a project to put into the radar.
It's also a showcase of  both, other Pharo technologies (Roassal,
GT-Tools, STON, NeoJSON, WebBrowser, etc.) and, also, how Pharo
ecosystem and community can empower learners.

[1] http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/index.en.html

Of course others have their own bets about their own projects and why
they're important and for who.

So my approach would be to prepare kind of a short interview, with some
questions that Pharo users/developers could answer to tell the story of
their territory explorations on the map that Smalltalk/Pharo has for you.

Cheers,

Offray

On 13/12/16 11:00, horrido wrote:

> Fellow Pharoers: What is the most exciting development in 2017 to look
> forward to? I'm asking for things to put into the end-of-year post in my
> "Make Smalltalk Great Again!" campaign. Thanks.

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

Ben Coman

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:00 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fellow Pharoers: What is the most exciting development in 2017 to look
forward to? I'm asking for things to put into the end-of-year post in my
"Make Smalltalk Great Again!" campaign. Thanks.

Worthwhile 2016 news...
- VM sources moved to git.  Broadening of VM brand from historical SqueakVM to opensmalltalk-vm serving Squeak, Pharo, Cuis, Newspeak.

Pharo 6 release due April 2017.
- 64-bit!!!
- Sista - adaptive method inlining at the bytecode level

Pharo 7
- Iceberg UI interface to git
- Pharo workflow moving to git.

cheers -ben

Wow! These are exciting. Thanks!

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:11 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow! These *are* exciting. Thanks!

Ben Coman wrote
> Pharo 6 release due April 2017.
> - 64-bit!!!

Actually to be specific, this is the 64-bit JIT'ed Cog VM, as distinct from the old 64-bit Interpreter VM [1] circa 2010 that I've seen people on discussion boards confuse.

cheers -ben

> - Sista - adaptive method inlining at the bytecode level
>
> https://clementbera.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/the-sista-chronicles-i-an-introduction-to-adaptive-recompilation/
>    http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/on-line-papers-and-presentations/
>
> Pharo 7
> - Iceberg UI interface to git
>
> http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2016/Tuesday/1100-1130-Iceberg
> - Pharo workflow moving to git.
>
> http://forum.world.st/Notes-about-Pharo-6-release-and-new-process-for-Pharo-7-td4920100.html
>

> cheers -ben

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

kilon.alios

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 6:15 PM horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fellow Pharoers: What is the most exciting development in 2017 to look
forward to? I'm asking for things to put into the end-of-year post in my
"Make Smalltalk Great Again!" campaign. Thanks.

I would not call it "most exciting development" for anyone but is definitely for me

Generally the plans for my project Ephestos for 2017 are

1) To create an Unreal API for Pharo
2) To create a Blender API for Pharo
3) To create a Supercollider API for Pharo

Unreal is the most powerful game/graphics engine.
Blender is the most powerful 3d editor.
Supercollider is the most powerful live coding music and audio synthesis platform.

I have developed the foundation for all three , the only thing remaining know is to wrap their APIs for Pharo.

So by end of 2017 Pharo will have received a massive boost to its 2d and 3d graphics capabilities and
music and audio synthesis capabilities.

Supercollider part is not a high priority goal as the other two, but I think I can squeeze it through.

Low priority goals and less exciting for me are

1) improvements to Nireas expanding its customisability, recreating the GUI , improving the blue theme and offer multiple other themes too
2) a tool that unifies workspace, system browser and inspector under one roof. I have not tested yet grafoscopio in detail, so it may form the basis for this tool
3)  further contributions to Pharo By Example and possibly other books

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I like your ambition and you seem to be having great fun, so good luck.
cheers -ben

Supercollider part is not a high priority goal as the other two, but I think I can squeeze it through.

Low priority goals and less exciting for me are

1) improvements to Nireas expanding its customisability, recreating the GUI , improving the blue theme and offer multiple other themes too
2) a tool that unifies workspace, system browser and inspector under one roof. I have not tested yet grafoscopio in detail, so it may form the basis for this tool
3)  further contributions to Pharo By Example and possibly other books

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

kilon.alios
Thank you Ben , but just to clarify those APIs will be partial and depend on the needs of a game I develop. Obviously it's unrealistic to wrap the entire Blender or Unreal API in a single year. Each one contains over ten thousands methods. Probably in a year I can do one hundred methods each maybe more again depending on the needs of the game.

But I am looking into automatic wrapping like Igor did for NBOpenGL using header files so I won't need to do this manually which is both time consuming and boring.

Documentation is also the same story, I won't be porting it to Pharo, again because I don't need to. That means the user will need to understand both APIs and know both Python and c++.

So my "ambition" is far smaller than it may seem. In the end I am just one guy with limited time like most of you.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is a good example of the "empowering map" I talk about about "Pharo/Smalltalk places for you". What we can look forward in 2017 is different for different people, so going beyond the "most exiting developments", hype and shiny new things is also a way to show how Pharo/Smalltalk are different. We can provide shine and hype, but also we're building stuff for different interests and people and that is even more worthy to look for the upcoming times (2017 and beyond).

Cheers,

Offray

I think there is big difference between doing something exciting versus doing something useful. Excitement dies out but usefulness does not. I don't do it to make Pharo look cool, I do it because I need it. I also do not like to do something and then abandon it like it happens for 99% of the open source software.

Also maintenance becomes a big issue if the scope is wide. Of course you can also combine excitement with usefulness and still keep the scope reasonably achievable.

A thing I love about Pharo is because its so limited third party library wise it forces me to go do that stuff myself and this definitely builds confidence in one's coding skills. I really like this DYI approach and I am definitely moving to the opposite direction of "do not reinvent the wheel". This would have been unthinkable in communities of very popular languages. I really like that Pharo forces me to be much less lazy as a coder.

Its also impressive to see the things that other people do by themselves too and be inspired by it.

The real problem is that this work is not really visible, I think Pharo needs something like a magazine and people should be encouraged to share their work even if it is in early stage because you never know who will find it useful. I feel the things we see in the mailing list is only the tip of the iceberg of what people work on and is pity all this code to be lost in obscurity.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Because reinventing the wheel is a good way to learn about wheels...
cheers -ben

Its also impressive to see the things that other people do by themselves too and be inspired by it.

The real problem is that this work is not really visible, I think Pharo needs something like a magazine and people should be encouraged to share their work even if it is in early stage because you never know who will find it useful. I feel the things we see in the mailing list is only the tip of the iceberg of what people work on and is pity all this code to be lost in obscurity.

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

NorbertHartl

Am 14.12.2016 um 18:00 schrieb Ben Coman <[hidden email]>:

[...]

I like that argument. I copy that 😀

Norbert
cheers -ben

Its also impressive to see the things that other people do by themselves too and be inspired by it.

The real problem is that this work is not really visible, I think Pharo needs something like a magazine and people should be encouraged to share their work even if it is in early stage because you never know who will find it useful. I feel the things we see in the mailing list is only the tip of the iceberg of what people work on and is pity all this code to be lost in obscurity.

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

kilon.alios

Because reinventing the wheel is a good way to learn about wheels...
cheers -ben

Absolutely , actually I find it funny when I hear or read "do not reinvent the wheel" . How many different wheels do we not already have out there, just a huge number and each serves a specific purpose very well.  Out of the so many objects one could pick , wheel is the worst option because of the versatility and efficient of its variations in its designs.

As you said reinvention allow you to basically reverse engineer and really learn your subject matter but that is half of the story, the other half is that you apply this knowledge to make a customised version which will be an actual improvement for the specific role you want it.

This is why in most case scenarios a customised solution will work much better than a generic solution.

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

horrido
You've inspired me to consider a new subproject. It's tentatively called "Smalltalk Showcase" (although I'll try to come up with a better name) and it will present a series of stories about Pharo/Smalltalk developments that demonstrate the incredible versatility and usefulness of Smalltalk. (It doesn't have to be Pharo, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if there are cool developments in Squeak, Cincom, Dolphin, GNU, etc.)

Here's an open call to Pharoers (and Smalltalkers) everywhere: Submit a favourite project, including a URL to a website or repository that shows the project in the best light, as well as an "abstract" that nicely summarizes what the project is trying to accomplish. I'll select the ones that are most interesting and do work-ups on them. If necessary, I'll query for more details in an email reply. Send all submissions to: richard.eng@outlook.com

Most appreciated.

By the way, the first story will be on Grafoscopio.

On 14/12/16 11:38, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

[...]

Yes. That's why I'm inviting Richard to go beyond exiting to interesting. He has accepted my invitation.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: What can we look forward to in 2017?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
May be some kind of "short interview format" is better. Most of the
project pages tell what the project do, and showcase it, but having a
personal author's view on why this project and the technology behind
(Pharo/Smalltalk) is important would be a valuable addition and add the
human story side to the campaign.

Cheers,

Offray