What do the symbols, next to methods, in the OmniBrowser system browser mean?

What do the symbols, next to methods, in the OmniBrowser system browser mean?

Andy Burnett
I have only just started to use the OB based browser and I can't find much in the way of documentation.  Looking through the methods, and their hierarchy it seems as though the following applies:

  • Nothing: new method in this chain, i.e. the method could exist in other classes but not in this particular chain of inheritance.

  • Upward orange triangle: method is inherited and overridden in this class

  • Downward orange triangle: method is overridden in a subclass

  • Two orange triangles (up and down): overrides and is overridden in a subclass

  • Green up arrow: calls the same method in its super class

  • Blue triangle: Self should not implement or subClassResponsibility

  • Green plus: don't know, can't work this one out

  • Red flag: has a halt message in the code

  • Spanner: shows that the code needs to be returned to, i.e. under construction
So, is my understanding correct?  What does the green plus symbol mean, and... is there anyway to get the browser to display all the methods an object responds too, i.e. its fully inherited list?

Cheers
AB

Re: What do the symbols, next to methods, in the OmniBrowser system browser mean?

Rob Rothwell
The green plus seems to appear when you extend a class within YOUR project.

For example, if in the Object class you add a method category *myproject and put Object>>myMethod in it, it will get a green plus...

That's all I've figured out...

Rob

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dominic Espinosa
Any volunteers to write this up on a wiki page somewhere? I was
wondering what these symbols meant myself.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:32:19PM -0400, Rob Rothwell wrote:

>    The green plus seems to appear when you extend a class within YOUR
>    project.
>    For example, if in the Object class you add a method category *myproject
>    and put Object>>myMethod in it, it will get a green plus...
>    That's all I've figured out...
>    Rob
>    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Andy Burnett
>    <[1][hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      I have only just started to use the OB based browser and I can't find
>      much in the way of documentation.  Looking through the methods, and
>      their hierarchy it seems as though the following applies:
>
>        * Nothing: new method in this chain, i.e. the method could exist in
>          other classes but not in this particular chain of inheritance.
>        * Upward orange triangle: method is inherited and overridden in this
>          class
>        * Downward orange triangle: method is overridden in a subclass
>        * Two orange triangles (up and down): overrides and is overridden in a
>          subclass
>        * Green up arrow: calls the same method in its super class
>        * Blue triangle: Self should not implement or subClassResponsibility
>        * Green plus: don't know, can't work this one out
>        * Red flag: has a halt message in the code
>        * Spanner: shows that the code needs to be returned to, i.e. under
>          construction
>
>      So, is my understanding correct?  What does the green plus symbol mean,
>      and... is there anyway to get the browser to display all the methods an
>      object responds too, i.e. its fully inherited list?
>
>      Cheers
>      AB

> References
>
>    Visible links
>    1. mailto:[hidden email]
>    2. mailto:[hidden email]
>    3. http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

Re: What do the symbols, next to methods, in the OmniBrowser system browser mean?

Rainer Maassen
Andy Burnett schrieb:

> I have only just started to use the OB based browser and I can't find
> much in the way of documentation.  Looking through the methods, and
> their hierarchy it seems as though the following applies:
>
>     * Nothing: new method in this chain, i.e. the method could exist in
>       other classes but not in this particular chain of inheritance.
>
>     * Upward orange triangle: method is inherited and overridden in this
>       class
>
>     * Downward orange triangle: method is overridden in a subclass
>
>     * Two orange triangles (up and down): overrides and is overridden in
>       a subclass
>
>     * Green up arrow: calls the same method in its super class
>
>     * Blue triangle: Self should not implement or subClassResponsibility
>
>     * Green plus: don't know, can't work this one out
>
>     * Red flag: has a halt message in the code
>
>     * Spanner: shows that the code needs to be returned to, i.e. under
>       construction
>
> So, is my understanding correct?  What does the green plus symbol mean,
> and... is there anyway to get the browser to display all the methods an
> object responds too, i.e. its fully inherited list?

Have a look to

        http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/hermion/icons/

Cheers,

Rainer

Re: What do the symbols, next to methods, in the OmniBrowser system browser mean?

Andy Burnett
<<Have a look to

       http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/hermion/icons/

Cheers,

Rainer>>

Brilliant! that's exactly what I was looking for. And, now that I know how to edit the wiki (thanks Matthew) I will go and put a link in there.

Cheers
AB