What do the (x) suffixes in menus mean?

Tim M
Hi Guys -

I'm new to Squeak (but not Smalltalk) - I've fired up Squeak images over
the years and been put off by the sheer noise in the user interface - but
then I discovered Damion's dev image and it looked a bit more approachable
- so I'm trying to get started.

I've been trying the seaside tutorial to get going, and one thing that I
have noticed is that when I right click (I'm using windows) I get a menu
and it has items that have suffixes like "do it (d)" "pretty print (r)".

What do the items in brackets mean? I thought they were some sort of keyboard
shortcut but I can't seem to work out how I invoke them - in particular I
was interested in how to quickly reformat my code when pasting in examples
from the tuturial?

Tim

Re: What do the (x) suffixes in menus mean?

Tapple Gao
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:45:40PM +0000, Tim M wrote:

> Hi Guys -
>
> I'm new to Squeak (but not Smalltalk) - I've fired up Squeak images over
> the years and been put off by the sheer noise in the user interface - but
> then I discovered Damion's dev image and it looked a bit more approachable
> - so I'm trying to get started.
>
> I've been trying the seaside tutorial to get going, and one thing that I
> have noticed is that when I right click (I'm using windows) I get a menu
> and it has items that have suffixes like "do it (d)" "pretty print (r)".
>
> What do the items in brackets mean? I thought they were some sort of
> keyboard shortcut but I can't seem to work out how I invoke them - in
> particular I was interested in how to quickly reformat my code when pasting
> in examples from the tuturial?

They are keyboard shortcuts. Activate them using the Command key
on macs, or the Alt key on other machines

Re: What do the (x) suffixes in menus mean?

Tim M
Hi Matthew,

> They are keyboard shortcuts. Activate them using the Command key on
> macs, or the Alt key on other machines

hmmm - that only seems to work for some things? E.g. If I change a method
and press Alt-L (that does cancel) however Alt-R (pretty print) doesn't seem
to pretty print the method and reformat it?

Also is there any way to activate the context menu through the keyboard (the
windows keyboard context menu key possibly) so you can type command names?

Tim