What is a Worldlet, why does it have a nil worldState and why is it installing flaps?

What is a Worldlet, why does it have a nil worldState and why is it installing flaps?

timrowledge
World menu-> objects, click on Multimedia tab.
Blah blah EventRecordingSpace blah blah newStandAlone, addSuppliesFlap etc.

It’s new class/code added since 5.1 so somebody must remember what they did and why they didn’t test it.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- J'Y SUIS, J'Y PESTES - I can stay for the weekend

Re: What is a Worldlet, why does it have a nil worldState and why is it installing flaps?

Bert Freudenberg
On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 1:19 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
World menu-> objects, click on Multimedia tab.
Blah blah EventRecordingSpace blah blah newStandAlone, addSuppliesFlap etc.
It’s new class/code added since 5.1 so somebody must remember what they did and why they didn’t test it.

It's code Tim brought over from the squeakland image, and it used to work fine.

But it was broken subsequently by a code change in PasteupMorph>>displayWorld.

That method used to say "self outermostWorldMorph privateOuterDisplayWorld" which looks for the actual world whereas now it accesses worldState directly. I guess Marcel was unaware that there are PasteupMorphs that are not The World, hence do not have a worldState.

If you revert that method it works, but I'll leave it to Marcel to come up with a proper fix (he deprecated privateOuterDisplayWorld).

- Bert -

Re: What is a Worldlet, why does it have a nil worldState and why is it installing flaps?

Bert Freudenberg
Oh, and to answer your subject question, a Worldlet is a world within a world, which can have its own flaps, but does not have its own worldState.

It's used for recording / replaying demos in an EventTheater. Alan used it to record the self-running Etoys demo in the Squeakland image.

- Bert -