What is the plan for 4.2?

12

Re: What is the plan for 4.2?

Squeak List
wow - smalltalk tv.

this is very cool - i hope you continue :)

thanks for the awesome work!!!

ken

Re: What is the plan for 4.2?

Ralph Johnson
I teach a course on OO programming and design that uses Squeak.  I'd like to refer students to hese videos, but the main problem is that there are so many that I don't know which ones to recommend, and I'm too busy to watch all of them.

What I'd like is a web page that lists all the videos and gives a brief description of them.  Even better would be if they were classified into "good for Squeak newbies", "advanced", "narrow topic", etc.

It occurred to me that this is something anybody could do.  In fact, it helps to not be a Squeak expert.  Just watch the videos, and make a table of your thoughts on them and put it on the web.  This would help the rest of us know where to look.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: What is the plan for 4.2?

Chris Cunnington

RJ: "What I'd like is a web page that lists all the videos and gives a brief description of them."

I'll look over the videos and create a web page to make it easier for people to find what they'd like.
I'll present the link on this list next week. I figure I'll group them by level and application to begin with.

And I must say, your saying they could be useful to you and your students is quite encouraging.

Chris

Re: squeak video tutorials, 74 and counting

Chris Cunnington
It was very easy to add "channel tags" to the YT channel. Embarrassing, really. The SMS should be easier to find now.

When the written tutorials and the HelpSystem start to come together, I'll start making videos and putting them on the SMS

They won't end with the stTV logo but with the Squeak mouse, mention of the HelpSystem, and an author's credit.

There are lots of things we can do with the files and different means of delivery. We can turn those ideas over between now and 4.2. At that time, we can make a space on the Documentation section of squeak.org to collect all known repositories of videos.

Chris

Re: squeak video tutorials, 74 and counting

LawsonEnglish
Chris Cunnington wrote:
> It was very easy to add "channel tags" to the YT channel.
> Embarrassing, really. The SMS should be easier to find now.
>
> When the written tutorials and the HelpSystem start to come together,
> I'll start making videos and putting them on the SMS

What does the HelpSystem do, exactly? Is there a video for it?

> http://www.youtube.com/user/gandysmedicineshow
>
> They won't end with the stTV logo but with the Squeak mouse, mention
> of the HelpSystem, and an author's credit.
>
> There are lots of things we can do with the files and different means
> of delivery. We can turn those ideas over between now and 4.2. At that
> time, we can make a space on the Documentation section of squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org> to collect all known repositories of videos.
>
> Chris

Re: squeak video tutorials, 74 and counting

Hannes Hirzel
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Squeak+Smalltalk&aq=f

gives an interesting list of results

--Hannes

Re: What is the plan for 4.2?

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Hannes,

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For writing the tutorials my recommendation is to use Torsten
> Bergmann's HelpSystem. As it is now it is good enough I think. And it
> can by loaded through the help menu entry 'Extending the system' as of
> now.

this help system is one gorgeous and useful piece of code. Heck. :-)

> Regarding the Z80 emulator. Yes I think that is a good idea. I assume
> it runs old Z80 games at a reasonable speed these days?

Nopes. As of now, it is really just a Z80 emulator (read: it emulates
the processor, not any of the machines built using it), and some
things like interrupts are still not complete. Once those things
exist, I want to build a ZX81 on top of it.

> As the heading of this thread is 'What is the plan for 4.2?' we should
> try to come up with a list ...

I think we should harvest what's there first, and then see what's
missing - to fill in holes.

> Going through the wiki could be helpful as well. ...

Precisely what I mean. :-)

Best,

Michael

Re: What is the plan for 4.2?

xiaoyuandlg
This post was updated on .
Very useful discussions, I think that I gained a lot from this thread. The barcode reader mentioned here also make me wonder the ways of java jar files with classes to generate bar code.
12