What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

badja
In the description of Girba, 2005, "Modeling History to understand Software Evolution", there is a small statement on "referenceVersion" in the Hismo metamodel:

"Each Version has a reference to the so called referenceVersion which provides a fixed point in the historical space."

This is implemented in Moose Hismo, but there is little description of its relevence to modelling.  What is meant by "fixed point in the historical space"?  In fact, there is an interface to set it to easily set it to nil!! (HismoEntityVersion class >> with:inHistory:)

Can Tudor or someone else able to describe why referenceVersion would be important in time based analysis?

Could this be, for example, the "baseline" to which other copies are compared?  Can we have a different  referenceVersions in different HismoHistoryGroups?  Can we change the referenceVersion on the fly during analysis?  I can see hints in the names of methods (e.g. isBornPriorToOrInReferenceVersion), but I can't quite catch the semantics.

Can you give some guidelines on which version should be selected as the referenceVersion, and why?

As I've described earlier, I'm trying to analyse different versions of system development schedules.  I'm trying to use the Hismo framework to its best advantage, so I'm trying to understand the semantics as well as the code.

Alan.

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

Stéphane Ducasse
hello

in which context are you doing this task?

Stef
On Jun 11, 2013, at 11:10 AM, badja <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the description of Girba, 2005, "Modeling History to understand Software
> Evolution", there is a small statement on "referenceVersion" in the Hismo
> metamodel:
>
> "Each Version has a reference to the so called referenceVersion which
> provides a fixed point in the historical space."
>
> This is implemented in Moose Hismo, but there is little description of its
> relevence to modelling.  What is meant by "fixed point in the historical
> space"?  In fact, there is an interface to set it to easily set it to nil!!
> (HismoEntityVersion class >> with:inHistory:)
>
> Can Tudor or someone else able to describe why referenceVersion would be
> important in time based analysis?
>
> Could this be, for example, the "baseline" to which other copies are
> compared?  Can we have a different  referenceVersions in different
> HismoHistoryGroups?  Can we change the referenceVersion on the fly during
> analysis?  I can see hints in the names of methods (e.g.
> isBornPriorToOrInReferenceVersion), but I can't quite catch the semantics.
>
> Can you give some guidelines on which version should be selected as the
> referenceVersion, and why?
>
> As I've described earlier, I'm trying to analyse different versions of
> system development schedules.  I'm trying to use the Hismo framework to its
> best advantage, so I'm trying to understand the semantics as well as the
> code.
>
> Alan.

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

badja
Not sure on your question: "What context?" I'll try to explain but I may not be addressing what you may be wanting to know.

I have a set of schedule files (MS Project files converted to XML) which are different versions of the same schedule, but updated at different times. My project is Kleio, so I've taken the Hismo metamodel for evolution - (History, Version, Snapshot - from Girba, 2005) and created 3 new classes:

KleioScheduleHistory (subclass of HismoAbstractHistory)
KleioScheduleVersion (subclass of HismoEntityVersion)
KleioSchedule (subclass of MooseEntity)

(These are analogues to, say, HismoClassHistory, HismoClassVersion and FAMIXClass.)

I've simplified this somewhat, as there are also Activities (Tasks) and Resources to consider. These are not important to my question.

When I load the schedule data into these classes, I first create one KleioScheduleHistory for the set of schedules (the history). I then create a KleioSchedule for each schedule (the snapshots), and finally I create an instance of KleioScheduleVersion (the versions) for the snapshot using:

KleioScheduleVersion class >> with: aVersionEntity inHistory: aHistory withReferenceVersion: aReferenceVersion.

This creator method is a modified version of HismoEntityVersion class >> with: aVersionEntity inHistory: aHistory withReferenceVersion: aReferenceVersion. Rather than inherit this creator method from HismoEntityVersion, I've re-written it, as the HismoEntityVersion only works for sub-classes with a name starting with Hismo (see source - 'Hismo' is hard wired as the class prefix!! bad karma).

So far, so good.

My question however is:

What is the significance of the attribute aReferenceVersion in the creator method with:inHistory:withReferenceVersion for the HismoEntityVersion (and so KleioScheduleVersion) class?

What problem is it trying to solve? i.e. Why does the HismoEntityVersion creator method have this field as an attribute? I can set it to nil, but what functionality in the Hismo framework would I then be missing?

Alan.

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks alan.
Is it a master project? PhD? with which university?

On Jun 12, 2013, at 7:32 PM, badja <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sent from the Moose mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

Stéphane Ducasse

PhD with University of Technology, Sydney - www.uts.edu.au

Cool :)
let us know how we can help.

Stef

[...]

Ben Coman
That sounds really interesting.  Is any part of it planned to be open source?

btw, good to see another Aussie on the list (I'm in Collie Western Australia studying remotely at University of Southern Queensland)

cheers -ben

badja wrote:
[...]

Ben,

For what it is worth, all my code will be released under MIT licence:

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Kleio.html

It is private at the moment, but I will open it up once there is some results to show.

Regards,
Alan.

badja wrote:
[...]

Tudor Girba-2

Hismo aims to offer you the possibility to navigate both in space and in time. To this end, you need to always know where you are.

referenceVersion is similar to mooseModel in FAMIX entities. From any FAMIX entity you can quickly navigate to the model object. In the same way, from any version entity you can navigate to the top-most version (usually a version corresponding to a MooseModel instance).

Let's take an example. Imagine you have a history of 5 models (instances of MooseModel) holding FAMIX objects.

And now, imagine that the version of a class A in your hand, and you would want to know that it exists in the version 2. So, you would get the object corresponding to system version 2 and then use existsInReferenceVersion: to check your version object (see below):

existsInReferenceVersion: aReferenceVersion
"answers if the history has a version in aReferenceVersion"
^(self versions
select: [:each | each referenceVersion = aReferenceVersion]) isEmpty not

referenceVersion is supposed to be immutable (so you should not change it dynamically).

Does it answer the question?

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM, badja <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

badja
Doru,

I'm starting to understand.

"Let's take an example. Imagine you have a history of 5 models (instances of MooseModel) holding FAMIX objects."

Ah ha.  I've been looking at a history and all the versions and snapshots being within a single MooseModel.  But you are suggesting I should have a MooseModel for my data at each point in time, then model the time relationships between them using the Hismo history classes.

Can I confirm that then the HismoAbtractVersion (as subclassed) and HismoAbstractHistory (as subclassed) instances therefore sit outside the MooseModel instances.

The MooseModel instances  (in your example 5 instances) would consist of FAMIX class instances, and would not include any Hismo class instances.  The history instances (e.g. HismoClassHistory) would point to version instances (HismoClassVersion) which in turn would point to FAMIX class instances (FAMIXClass) - and only these FAMIX instances will be in the (5) MooseModels.

Is this correct?

Re: What is the relevence of referenceVersion in Hismo?

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

You are correct.

You need to build a so called HismoModelHistory that will be formed by versions corresponding to your snapshot models. Take a look at MooseSampleData>>initialize for an example of how to initialize this.

Doru

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM, badja <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru,

I'm starting to understand.

[...]

Many thanks.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Alan.