What makes examples good for novices? and How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

What makes examples good for novices? and How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

Steve Thomas
So I am taking a P2PU course On How to Teach Web Programmin to Free Range Learners and a couple of questions came up:

So I pose them to the community:
  1. What makes examples good for novices?
  2. How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

Also where can I find a good set of examples for learning programming?

It would be nice to have a curated set of "Great literature".

Pointers to any research on the topic would be appreciated.

Stephen

Re: What makes examples good for novices? and How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

LawsonEnglish
I can't give you any stats other than positive feedback I have gotten, but the Salman Khan style of video teaching seems to work well for programming as well as for math.

My video series, Squeak from the very start, is a very conscious effort to duplicate his style:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

Friends characterize my video style as being like a mentor in a pair-programming session.

L.

On 2/2/12 5:56 PM, Steve Thomas wrote:
So I am taking a P2PU course On How to Teach Web Programmin to Free Range Learners and a couple of questions came up:

So I pose them to the community:
  1. What makes examples good for novices?
  2. How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

Also where can I find a good set of examples for learning programming?

It would be nice to have a curated set of "Great literature".

Pointers to any research on the topic would be appreciated.

Stephen

Re: What makes examples good for novices? and How do we tell if an example is good for novices?

Steve Thomas
Lawson,

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't give you any stats other than positive feedback I have gotten, but the Salman Khan style of video teaching seems to work well for programming as well as for math.
I generally like the Salman Khan video's and think they have their place (flame away folks :).  The ability to watch at my your pace and on your own time is a big plus and my kids use them sometimes when they are struggling with a concept.  While it is preferable to struggle with the concepts ourselves, who has the time (or the ability) to re-construct all that knowledge. So, I think there is a role for a "good explanation."  Of course, it would be nice if he had more "Sugar" like artifacts to play and learn with.

That said I really didn't like his Programming videos.  Programming, I believe, is much better if taught with lots of hands on opportunities and problems.  Videos could be used after the learner has a chance to work on a problem. Perhaps to show different ways to solve a problem and/or Providing a Guided Tour through "good literature" (well written code) and perhaps bad as well or something like Java Puzzlers, to let kids learn where the pitfalls are and get a better understanding of how things work.

My video series, Squeak from the very start, is a very conscious effort to duplicate his style:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

Friends characterize my video style as being like a mentor in a pair-programming session.

I like the idea of kids pair-programming although I would think you would need to set some ground rules like (the "advanced" kid can't touch the keyboard).

FYI, I like your videos and have used them for myself.

Thanks,
Stephen