What's over the horizon?

Jerome Peace
What's over the horizon?

What happens when 3dot10 is done doing whatever it is
they decide they can do?

This is mostly a question for the board.

I am also curious how we (as contributors and as
benefiters) decide what we will be doing one, two and
five years down the line. (Can't afford the power my
crystal ball would require to think any further than
five years out.)

Now that's room service!  Choose from over 150,000 hotels

Re: What's over the horizon?

timrowledge

On 1-Apr-07, at 8:14 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> What's over the horizon?

New VM. New image.
Fixed compiled method format.
Proper source accessors.
Decent change recording.
Immutable objects.
Little-endian bitmaps instead of 'nobody uses big endian anymore'
current format. Probably same for Floats.
Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
a) designed
b) documented
c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing with
vectors instead of pixmaps.
Replace current tragically poor browser code with properly written
classes.
Thousands upon thousands of tests, with comments and explanations.

Give me ten million euros.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo
congredi = Excuse me. I've got to see a man about a dog.

Re: What's over the horizon?

Blake-5
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:28:54 -0700, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1-Apr-07, at 8:14 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> What's over the horizon?
>
> Give me ten million euros.

How far over the horizon is that?<s>

Re: What's over the horizon?

J J-6
>From: tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 20:28:54 -0700

I realize this might have been an April fool's thing, but on the chance that
it isn't:

>New VM. New image.

What would you change about the VM?  One thing I have seen on this list was
that the VM is hard coded on creating a window when it starts.  I wonder how
hard it would be to make this plugable so that the headless image doesn't do
any of those routines at all and a wxSqueak or similar can go straight into
their own display.

>Fixed compiled method format.
>Proper source accessors.
>Decent change recording.

Care to expand on these (or point to a place where it is already)?  Change
recording I am most interested in hearing what it doesn't do that it should.
  One thing I was thinking about was that change sets should have optional
comments.  Smalltalk comes closer then any language I have ever seen to
being self documenting, but what is never shown is the 'why' things were
done.  Change set comments might be able to help here.

>Little-endian bitmaps instead of 'nobody uses big endian anymore'  current
>format. Probably same for Floats.

I'm also curious about this.  What is happening now and what should be
happening.

>Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
>a) designed
>b) documented
>c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing with
>vectors instead of pixmaps.

Does everyone feel that the MVC/MVP paradym is not a good one?  Dolphin's
MVP seemed quite good to me.

For some of these things, it might be good to work out a kind of spec for
what is expected for these systems we want upgraded so that if anyone is
looking for a project they can pick it up and know what the goal is.

Can’t afford to quit your job? – Earn your AS, BS, or MS degree online in 1
year.
http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866145&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866143

Re: What's over the horizon?

areichow
JJ-

>> Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
>> a) designed
>> b) documented
>> c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing
>> with  vectors instead of pixmaps.
>
> Does everyone feel that the MVC/MVP paradym is not a good one?
> Dolphin's MVP seemed quite good to me.
>
> For some of these things, it might be good to work out a kind of
> spec for what is expected for these systems we want upgraded so
> that if anyone is looking for a project they can pick it up and
> know what the goal is.

I know that your response might not be to what Tim meant, but just a
response/question in general, but in the case it isn't- he isn't
talking about killing off the MVC paradigm. He might have a beef with
the idea of MVC, but I do believe that in this email he was talking
more about ditching the MVC GUI in Squeak, the original Smalltalk-80
GUI toolkit that has shipped in every Squeak release.  It is
something that doesn't get much use these days, now that computers
are faster; even slower machines (PDAs, 133 MHz (?) PCs/Macs) can
handle Morphic decently.

MVC is a very fast performer, but limited compared to Morphic, Tweak,
or other GUI toolkits (GTK+, Qt, Tk) in a lot of ways.  But you can
run it on a 33 MHz machine and it performs just fine. :)  But I'd
imagine that only a few people on this list use MVC for much or
develop out of MVC. I think Jon Hylands with his HUV stuff did at one
point, but maybe even he moved on to Morphic...

Just to clarify-

Regards,
Aaron

Re: What's over the horizon?

timrowledge

On 6-Apr-07, at 12:01 PM, Aaron Reichow wrote:

> JJ-
>
>>> Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
>>> a) designed
>>> b) documented
>>> c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing
>>> with  vectors instead of pixmaps.
>>
>> Does everyone feel that the MVC/MVP paradym is not a good one?
>> Dolphin's MVP seemed quite good to me.
>>
>> For some of these things, it might be good to work out a kind of
>> spec for what is expected for these systems we want upgraded so
>> that if anyone is looking for a project they can pick it up and
>> know what the goal is.
>
> I know that your response might not be to what Tim meant, but just
> a response/question in general, but in the case it isn't- he isn't
> talking about killing off the MVC paradigm.

You're quite right. I happen to think that splitting the UI/app up
along model-view-controller lines is a brilliant innovation that is
still brilliant and still barely used. However, the current
implementation within Squeak is simply wasting space and causing
confusing code.

> even slower machines (PDAs, 133 MHz (?) PCs/Macs) can handle
> Morphic decently.
Wellllll..... I'd have to dispute that somewhat. My 600MHz RISC OS
machine (same cpu as many PDAs) really doesn't do to well with
Morphic. Now morphic is a fine idea in a lot of ways but substantial
chunks of the implementation simply blow chunks. Part of the problem
is that old issue of lack of doc leading to people abusing the
classes and then that bad code getting enthroned as an example to
later unfortunates. Tweak has some nice ideas too, but to be honest
it's been driving us nuts a lot of the time over in SophieLand.
Debugging..... aargh!

> MVC is a very fast performer, but limited compared to Morphic,
> Tweak, or other GUI toolkits (GTK+, Qt, Tk) in a lot of ways.  But
> you can run it on a 33 MHz machine and it performs just fine. :)
Hey, the Active Book was a 4MHz ARM2 with no cache (really - none at
all, not even instruction prefetch) and 1Mb ram *total* and the MVC
UI on that was wonderfully fast and responsive. Menus typically
opened in less than one frame cycle - ie instantly in user terms.

What we would really benefit from is a well engineered UI package
that gets back to that sort of performance, has clear intelligible
code, decent documentation and pink ponies.

tim
We can rescue a hostage or bankrupt a system. Now, what would you
like us to do?

Re: What's over the horizon?

stephane ducasse
- better package system (resources, comments...)
- fast binary format for package
- better tools
- new UI framework
- better font rendering
- small kernel
- native widget?
- better FFI
- more tests

On 2 avr. 07, at 05:28, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 1-Apr-07, at 8:14 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> What's over the horizon?
>
> New VM. New image.
> Fixed compiled method format.
> Proper source accessors.
> Decent change recording.
> Immutable objects.
> Little-endian bitmaps instead of 'nobody uses big endian anymore'
> current format. Probably same for Floats.
> Get rid of MVC. Replace morphic with something actually
> a) designed
> b) documented
> c) using hardware on most platforms to do fonts and most drawing
> with vectors instead of pixmaps.
> Replace current tragically poor browser code with properly written
> classes.
> Thousands upon thousands of tests, with comments and explanations.
>
> Give me ten million euros.
>
> tim
> Useful Latin Phrases:- Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo
> congredi = Excuse me. I've got to see a man about a dog.

Re: What's over the horizon?

Martin Wirblat
tim Rowledge wrote:

> Wellllll..... I'd have to dispute that somewhat. My 600MHz RISC OS
> machine (same cpu as many PDAs) really doesn't do to well with Morphic.
> Now morphic is a fine idea in a lot of ways but substantial chunks of
> the implementation simply blow chunks. Part of the problem is that old
> issue of lack of doc leading to people abusing the classes and then that
> bad code getting enthroned as an example to later unfortunates. Tweak
> has some nice ideas too, but to be honest it's been driving us nuts a
> lot of the time over in SophieLand. Debugging..... aargh!

Tim,

do you think Tweak is harder to debug than Morphic and could you explain
how or why it is so hard? I have not used Tweak myself yet because of
the uncertainty that comes with its future (at least from my point of
view) but I had high hopes on it.

Regards,
Martin

Re: What's over the horizon?

stephane ducasse
Hi martin

Some sophiers told me that indeed debugging tweak app is nearly
impossible.
what I heard is that there are far too much emitted signals. So
there  are compressed
so if you have a stream A X B Y Z C emitted you get
ABC XYZ

Stef

On 7 avr. 07, at 14:43, Martin Wirblat wrote:

> tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> Wellllll..... I'd have to dispute that somewhat. My 600MHz RISC OS
>> machine (same cpu as many PDAs) really doesn't do to well with
>> Morphic. Now morphic is a fine idea in a lot of ways but
>> substantial chunks of the implementation simply blow chunks. Part
>> of the problem is that old issue of lack of doc leading to people
>> abusing the classes and then that bad code getting enthroned as an
>> example to later unfortunates. Tweak has some nice ideas too, but
>> to be honest it's been driving us nuts a lot of the time over in
>> SophieLand. Debugging..... aargh!
>
> Tim,
>
> do you think Tweak is harder to debug than Morphic and could you
> explain how or why it is so hard? I have not used Tweak myself yet
> because of the uncertainty that comes with its future (at least
> from my point of view) but I had high hopes on it.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Re: What's over the horizon?

Martin Wirblat
Hi Stephane,

if "debugging a Tweak app is nearly impossible" it should be nearly
impossible to develop with Tweak. That makes me even more curious. I
think I don't really understand the explanation you cite here.

Has it to do with what

http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Whitepapers/TweakEventDebugging

describes, i.e. that the series of events that led to the initial
message in the debugger is unknown and only from there on the debugger
shows you a "hierarchical event cascade" which you can build up manually?

Is it the "causal ordering of triggered messages" of that cascade which
is described on that page too?

Is the control flow generally hard to follow because too much is done
with events? Or may the mental effort to "dive into the triggering
process" in one method and come up in another one be too high?

Or is it something else?

To all: These questions are of course not only directed to Stephane.

Regards,
Martin

stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi martin
>
> Some sophiers told me that indeed debugging tweak app is nearly impossible.
> what I heard is that there are far too much emitted signals. So there
> are compressed
> so if you have a stream A X B Y Z C emitted you get
> ABC XYZ
>
> Stef

Re: What's over the horizon?

Bert Freudenberg
I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked on
was Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI frameworks
I've used. For example, the coalescing of events is not something
that I had problems with - but others find it confusing, and I
wouldn't rule out completely that there are still bugs lurking in there.

That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow what
happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not enough usage
it gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature only because they
were used and improved in day-to-day work by its developers. Nobody
spent much time on the Tweak tools yet. E.g., the Sophie developers
could not spend time on improving the tools because they were too
busy developing Sophie (which also is much more complex UI-wise than
your regular app).

I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and alive
as the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about it
vanishing any time soon.

- Bert -

On Apr 9, 2007, at 14:45 , Martin Wirblat wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
>
> if "debugging a Tweak app is nearly impossible" it should be nearly
> impossible to develop with Tweak. That makes me even more curious.
> I think I don't really understand the explanation you cite here.
>
> Has it to do with what
>
> http://tweakproject.org/TECHNOLOGY/Whitepapers/TweakEventDebugging
>
> describes, i.e. that the series of events that led to the initial
> message in the debugger is unknown and only from there on the
> debugger shows you a "hierarchical event cascade" which you can
> build up manually?
>
> Is it the "causal ordering of triggered messages" of that cascade
> which is described on that page too?
>
> Is the control flow generally hard to follow because too much is
> done with events? Or may the mental effort to "dive into the
> triggering process" in one method and come up in another one be too
> high?
>
> Or is it something else?
>
> To all: These questions are of course not only directed to Stephane.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>

> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Hi martin
>> Some sophiers told me that indeed debugging tweak app is nearly
>> impossible.
>> what I heard is that there are far too much emitted signals. So
>> there  are compressed
>> so if you have a stream A X B Y Z C emitted you get
>> ABC XYZ
>> Stef

Re: What's over the horizon?

Martin Wirblat
Bert,

thanks for responding. I think people don't worry so much about Tweak
vanishing but they feel unsure if they should bet on it for
"non-Croquet" 2d-only applications.

Learning a new UI-framework and porting an app or making a new one with
it is a considerable investment. For many Squeakers this would probably
involve the decision to switch to Croquet from Squeak and not try to
ride two horses at the same time. But you wouldn't like to find out
later that today Tweak is only thought as a minimal 2d-support for
Croquet and not anymore as the successor of Morphic for something like
Squeak.

I just learned about the new Croquet release as an alternative to the
image of the somewhat stale tweakproject.org site.

So which of the following images should one use to start with?

- iTweak-3.8-6665.zip from tweakproject.org or
- CroquetSDK-1.0.18/deployment/Homebase.image
   which can load the Tweak system from a MC repository.

Regards,
Martin

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked on was
> Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI frameworks I've used.
> For example, the coalescing of events is not something that I had
> problems with - but others find it confusing, and I wouldn't rule out
> completely that there are still bugs lurking in there.
>
> That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow what
> happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not enough usage it
> gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature only because they were
> used and improved in day-to-day work by its developers. Nobody spent
> much time on the Tweak tools yet. E.g., the Sophie developers could not
> spend time on improving the tools because they were too busy developing
> Sophie (which also is much more complex UI-wise than your regular app).
>
> I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and alive as
> the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about it vanishing any
> time soon.
>
> - Bert -

Re: What's over the horizon?

J J-6
Is there some reason we can't just load Tweak in a regular Squeak 3.9/10
image?

>From: Martin Wirblat <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:57:14 +0200
>
>Bert,
>
>thanks for responding. I think people don't worry so much about Tweak
>vanishing but they feel unsure if they should bet on it for "non-Croquet"
>2d-only applications.
>
>Learning a new UI-framework and porting an app or making a new one with it
>is a considerable investment. For many Squeakers this would probably
>involve the decision to switch to Croquet from Squeak and not try to ride
>two horses at the same time. But you wouldn't like to find out later that
>today Tweak is only thought as a minimal 2d-support for Croquet and not
>anymore as the successor of Morphic for something like Squeak.
>
>I just learned about the new Croquet release as an alternative to the image
>of the somewhat stale tweakproject.org site.
>
>So which of the following images should one use to start with?
>
>- iTweak-3.8-6665.zip from tweakproject.org or
>- CroquetSDK-1.0.18/deployment/Homebase.image
>   which can load the Tweak system from a MC repository.
>
>Regards,
>Martin
>

>Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked on was
>>Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI frameworks I've used.
>>For example, the coalescing of events is not something that I had problems
>>with - but others find it confusing, and I wouldn't rule out completely
>>that there are still bugs lurking in there.
>>
>>That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow what
>>happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not enough usage it
>>gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature only because they were used
>>and improved in day-to-day work by its developers. Nobody spent much time
>>on the Tweak tools yet. E.g., the Sophie developers could not spend time
>>on improving the tools because they were too busy developing Sophie (which
>>also is much more complex UI-wise than your regular app).
>>
>>I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and alive as
>>the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about it vanishing any
>>time soon.
>>
>>- Bert -

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today.
http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline

Re: What's over the horizon?

Bert Freudenberg
I guess I'd go with the croquet image for now.

- Bert -

On Apr 12, 2007, at 12:57 , Martin Wirblat wrote:

> Bert,
>
> thanks for responding. I think people don't worry so much about
> Tweak vanishing but they feel unsure if they should bet on it for
> "non-Croquet" 2d-only applications.
>
> Learning a new UI-framework and porting an app or making a new one
> with it is a considerable investment. For many Squeakers this would
> probably involve the decision to switch to Croquet from Squeak and
> not try to ride two horses at the same time. But you wouldn't like
> to find out later that today Tweak is only thought as a minimal 2d-
> support for Croquet and not anymore as the successor of Morphic for
> something like Squeak.
>
> I just learned about the new Croquet release as an alternative to
> the image of the somewhat stale tweakproject.org site.
>
> So which of the following images should one use to start with?
>
> - iTweak-3.8-6665.zip from tweakproject.org or
> - CroquetSDK-1.0.18/deployment/Homebase.image
>   which can load the Tweak system from a MC repository.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked
>> on was Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI
>> frameworks I've used. For example, the coalescing of events is not
>> something that I had problems with - but others find it confusing,
>> and I wouldn't rule out completely that there are still bugs
>> lurking in there.
>> That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow
>> what happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not
>> enough usage it gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature
>> only because they were used and improved in day-to-day work by its
>> developers. Nobody spent much time on the Tweak tools yet. E.g.,
>> the Sophie developers could not spend time on improving the tools
>> because they were too busy developing Sophie (which also is much
>> more complex UI-wise than your regular app).
>> I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and
>> alive as the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about it
>> vanishing any time soon.
>> - Bert -

Re: What's over the horizon?

Bert Freudenberg
Try :)

Tweak builds an extended object system on top of Squeak. It depends
on certain meta class protocols that might have changed since 3.8. It
took much effort to port from 3.6 to 3.8. Maybe porting to 3.9 would
be simpler (one goal of the 3.9 team was making "meta" experiments
easier), but I would not bet on it.

- Bert -

On Apr 12, 2007, at 21:28 , J J wrote:

> Is there some reason we can't just load Tweak in a regular Squeak
> 3.9/10 image?
>

>> From: Martin Wirblat <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:57:14 +0200
>>
>> Bert,
>>
>> thanks for responding. I think people don't worry so much about
>> Tweak vanishing but they feel unsure if they should bet on it for
>> "non-Croquet" 2d-only applications.
>>
>> Learning a new UI-framework and porting an app or making a new one
>> with it is a considerable investment. For many Squeakers this
>> would probably involve the decision to switch to Croquet from
>> Squeak and not try to ride two horses at the same time. But you
>> wouldn't like to find out later that today Tweak is only thought
>> as a minimal 2d-support for Croquet and not anymore as the
>> successor of Morphic for something like Squeak.
>>
>> I just learned about the new Croquet release as an alternative to
>> the image of the somewhat stale tweakproject.org site.
>>
>> So which of the following images should one use to start with?
>>
>> - iTweak-3.8-6665.zip from tweakproject.org or
>> - CroquetSDK-1.0.18/deployment/Homebase.image
>>   which can load the Tweak system from a MC repository.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin
>>

>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> I find developing UIs with Tweak pleasant - the largest I worked
>>> on was Etoys 2. Many things work much nicer than other UI
>>> frameworks I've used. For example, the coalescing of events is
>>> not something that I had problems with - but others find it
>>> confusing, and I wouldn't rule out completely that there are
>>> still bugs lurking in there.
>>>
>>> That said, if something goes wrong it indeed is hard to follow
>>> what happened in the debugger. IMHO this is mainly due to not
>>> enough usage it gets - the Morphic tools are useful and mature
>>> only because they were used and improved in day-to-day work by
>>> its developers. Nobody spent much time on the Tweak tools yet.
>>> E.g., the Sophie developers could not spend time on improving the
>>> tools because they were too busy developing Sophie (which also is
>>> much more complex UI-wise than your regular app).
>>>
>>> I'd suggest you just try it for some project. Tweak is well and
>>> alive as the default 2D UI in Croquet so I wouldn't worry about
>>> it vanishing any time soon.
>>>
>>> - Bert -

Re: What's over the horizon?

J J-6
Aha, this is what I was curious about.  I looked a little at the tweak site
a few times.  Does it talk about this extended object system and what it
does?  Or is this for the async message stuff?

Thanks,
Jason

>From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:45:26 +0200
>
>Try :)
>
>Tweak builds an extended object system on top of Squeak. It depends  on
>certain meta class protocols that might have changed since 3.8. It  took
>much effort to port from 3.6 to 3.8. Maybe porting to 3.9 would  be simpler
>(one goal of the 3.9 team was making "meta" experiments  easier), but I
>would not bet on it.
>
>- Bert -
>
>On Apr 12, 2007, at 21:28 , J J wrote:
>
>>Is there some reason we can't just load Tweak in a regular Squeak  3.9/10
>>image?
>>

>>>From: Martin Wirblat <[hidden email]>
>>>To: [hidden email]
>>>Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>>>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:57:14 +0200
>>>
>>>Bert,
>>>
>>>thanks for responding. I think people don't worry so much about  Tweak
>>>vanishing but they feel unsure if they should bet on it for
>>>"non-Croquet" 2d-only applications.
>>>
>>>Learning a new UI-framework and porting an app or making a new one  with
>>>it is a considerable investment. For many Squeakers this  would probably
>>>involve the decision to switch to Croquet from  Squeak and not try to
>>>ride two horses at the same time. But you  wouldn't like to find out
>>>later that today Tweak is only thought  as a minimal 2d-support for
>>>Croquet and not anymore as the  successor of Morphic for something like
>>>Squeak.
>>>
>>>I just learned about the new Croquet release as an alternative to  the
>>>image of the somewhat stale tweakproject.org site.
>>>
>>>So which of the following images should one use to start with?
>>>
>>>- iTweak-3.8-6665.zip from tweakproject.org or
>>>- CroquetSDK-1.0.18/deployment/Homebase.image
>>>   which can load the Tweak system from a MC repository.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Martin

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.

Re: What's over the horizon?

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/12/07 4:45 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Try :)
>
> Tweak builds an extended object system on top of Squeak. It depends
> on certain meta class protocols that might have changed since 3.8. It
> took much effort to port from 3.6 to 3.8. Maybe porting to 3.9 would
> be simpler (one goal of the 3.9 team was making "meta" experiments
> easier), but I would not bet on it.
>
> - Bert -

And where I could find the last .mcz for do the experiment ?
Any advice , things to look ?

Very thanks

Edgar

Tweak (was Re: What's over the horizon?)

Bert Freudenberg
The async messaging is the basic for everything yes. The object model
was extended to more easily make use of these async messages. Like,
when you change a field (similar to an inst var), the system
automatically generates a chagne event. Or, e.g., method triggers
which allow to annotate methods to be automatically registered as
event handlers.

There is some documentation for these basics on the Tweak site. I'd
suggest just diving in though. Like, the bank account tutorial is
more interesting than it sounds ;)

- Bert -

On Apr 12, 2007, at 21:49 , J J wrote:

> Aha, this is what I was curious about.  I looked a little at the
> tweak site a few times.  Does it talk about this extended object
> system and what it does?  Or is this for the async message stuff?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>

>> From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list<squeak-
>> [hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: What's over the horizon?
>> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:45:26 +0200
>>
>> Try :)
>>
>> Tweak builds an extended object system on top of Squeak. It
>> depends  on certain meta class protocols that might have changed
>> since 3.8. It  took much effort to port from 3.6 to 3.8. Maybe
>> porting to 3.9 would  be simpler (one goal of the 3.9 team was
>> making "meta" experiments  easier), but I would not bet on it.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> On Apr 12, 2007, at 21:28 , J J wrote:
>>
>>> Is there some reason we can't just load Tweak in a regular
>>> Squeak  3.9/10 image?

> Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/
> default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07

Re: Tweak (was Re: What's over the horizon?)

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 12, 2007, at 21:50 , Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/12/07 4:45 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> Try :)
>>
>> Tweak builds an extended object system on top of Squeak. It depends
>> on certain meta class protocols that might have changed since 3.8. It
>> took much effort to port from 3.6 to 3.8. Maybe porting to 3.9 would
>> be simpler (one goal of the 3.9 team was making "meta" experiments
>> easier), but I would not bet on it.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> And where I could find the last .mcz for do the experiment ?
> Any advice , things to look ?

There is a build script that worked in 3.8 on the Tweak site.

- Bert -

RE: Tweak (was Re: What's over the horizon?)

J J-6
>From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Tweak (was Re: What's over the horizon?)
>Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:15:05 +0200
>
>There is some documentation for these basics on the Tweak site. I'd
>suggest just diving in though. Like, the bank account tutorial is  more
>interesting than it sounds ;)

Ah, ok.  I'll do that then, thanks for the reply.