What's the relationship between scripts and methods?

What's the relationship between scripts and methods?

Steinar Bang
The scripts, converted to code, kind of look like like methods.

What are the relationship of scripts and methods?  Are scripts instance
level methods?  I see two possible implementations for this:
 - the eToys objects could have a system dictionary of methods as an
   instance value?
 - eToys objects could be singletons of a new class created on the fly?

 Or are scripts code blocks associated with the instance in some other
 way?

- Steinar

Re: What's the relationship between scripts and methods?

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.04.2009, at 20:28, Steinar Bang wrote:

> The scripts, converted to code, kind of look like like methods.
>
> What are the relationship of scripts and methods?  Are scripts
> instance
> level methods?

Yes.

>  I see two possible implementations for this:
> - the eToys objects could have a system dictionary of methods as an
>   instance value?
> - eToys objects could be singletons of a new class created on the fly?

The latter. They are instances of subclasses of class Player. Usually
they are singletons, unless you create "siblings" which are instances
of the same class and so share all scripts.

You can actually see the scripts in the class browser (although there
was a bug so that script methods did not show up properly, fixed in
update #2210 scriptCatFix-sw).

> Or are scripts code blocks associated with the instance in some other
> way?

Nope.

- Bert -

Re: What's the relationship between scripts and methods?

mstram
Are you familiar with the "halos" ?

If not :
Create a script, MMB for halos on the ScriptEditorMorph that has been
created, LMB on the 'debug' icon, choose browse morph class.

Repeatedly MMB on the 'clock' icon on the ScriptEditorMorph, till it
says ScriptStatusControl  on the bottom, then browse that morph class.

Mike

On 08.04.2009, at 22:10, Mike Stramba wrote:

> Are you familiar with the "halos" ?
>
> If not :
> Create a script, MMB for halos on the ScriptEditorMorph that has been
> created, LMB on the 'debug' icon, choose browse morph class.

The debug halo handle is not shown in etoyFriendly mode, which is
default in the Etoys image.

- Bert -