Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Hi everyone, I'm about a year away from finishing my BAs in Math/CS, and
am looking for a nice place to do exciting and interesting stuff for a
PhD. Of course if I can do it in Squeak and with Squeakers, that's a
definite advantage!

BTW, my current definition of interesting stuff tends towards math and
geometry - for example I'm currently working on face recognition
algorithms based on embedding surfaces while preserving geodetic
distances (GMDS). But I'm curious about the general situation.

So I know about SE people in the SCG group in Berne, and about Andrew
Black+ in PSU, Portland, and Croquet seems to be getting some
universities involved (Minnesota, Wisconsin... more?), though I don't
know exactly in what form. Who else is out there?

I think this is probably of general interest...

Daniel

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Serge Stinckwich-4
Daniel Vainsencher a écrit :

> Hi everyone, I'm about a year away from finishing my BAs in Math/CS, and
> am looking for a nice place to do exciting and interesting stuff for a
> PhD. Of course if I can do it in Squeak and with Squeakers, that's a
> definite advantage!
>
> BTW, my current definition of interesting stuff tends towards math and
> geometry - for example I'm currently working on face recognition
> algorithms based on embedding surfaces while preserving geodetic
> distances (GMDS). But I'm curious about the general situation.
>
> So I know about SE people in the SCG group in Berne, and about Andrew
> Black+ in PSU, Portland, and Croquet seems to be getting some
> universities involved (Minnesota, Wisconsin... more?), though I don't
> know exactly in what form. Who else is out there?

We are also doing some work with Noury in the context of embedded
system, ubiquitous computing and distributed artificial intelligence.
Have a look here : http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/VerySmallTalk

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

stephane ducasse-2
There is also annecy now :) but I do not have open positions now.
There is also lugano.
And you have also people at the VUB.

On 13 sept. 06, at 11:14, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm about a year away from finishing my BAs in Math/
> CS, and am looking for a nice place to do exciting and interesting
> stuff for a PhD. Of course if I can do it in Squeak and with
> Squeakers, that's a definite advantage!
>
> BTW, my current definition of interesting stuff tends towards math
> and geometry - for example I'm currently working on face
> recognition algorithms based on embedding surfaces while preserving
> geodetic distances (GMDS). But I'm curious about the general
> situation.
>
> So I know about SE people in the SCG group in Berne, and about
> Andrew Black+ in PSU, Portland, and Croquet seems to be getting
> some universities involved (Minnesota, Wisconsin... more?), though
> I don't know exactly in what form. Who else is out there?
>
> I think this is probably of general interest...
>
> Daniel

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Ah nice, I'd seen a bit of this in some ESUG.

Thanks to all that answered, on list and off.

Daniel

Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Daniel Vainsencher a écrit :
>> Hi everyone, I'm about a year away from finishing my BAs in Math/CS,
>> and am looking for a nice place to do exciting and interesting stuff
>> for a PhD. Of course if I can do it in Squeak and with Squeakers,
>> that's a definite advantage!
>>
>> BTW, my current definition of interesting stuff tends towards math
>> and geometry - for example I'm currently working on face recognition
>> algorithms based on embedding surfaces while preserving geodetic
>> distances (GMDS). But I'm curious about the general situation.
>>
>> So I know about SE people in the SCG group in Berne, and about Andrew
>> Black+ in PSU, Portland, and Croquet seems to be getting some
>> universities involved (Minnesota, Wisconsin... more?), though I don't
>> know exactly in what form. Who else is out there?
>
> We are also doing some work with Noury in the context of embedded
> system, ubiquitous computing and distributed artificial intelligence.
> Have a look here : http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/VerySmallTalk
>

> --                                                         oooo
> Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
> Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
> http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
>                                                             ##

re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Daniel--

 > Thanks to all that answered, on list and off.

      Would you please post a summary? I'm interested to know what you
heard.

      thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Ralph Johnson
I have been using Squeak in my OOP&D course.  So far my research
projects that use Smalltalk are in VisualWorks, but I would be just as
happy to use Squeak.

-Ralph Johnson, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Daniel Vainsencher-3
My original thought was also that everyone would reply publicly, because
this is of general interest. But I'll respect the wishes of those (just
2) that chose otherwise.

Daniel

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Daniel--
>
> > Thanks to all that answered, on list and off.
>
>      Would you please post a summary? I'm interested to know what you
> heard.
>

>      thanks!
>
> -C

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Bert Freudenberg
At the University of Magdeburg, Germany, Squeak is used in the Games
group (building Croquet and Tweak-based games, and doing UI studies),
and Etoys are used in courses for teachers.

- Bert -

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> My original thought was also that everyone would reply publicly, because
> this is of general interest. But I'll respect the wishes of those (just
> 2) that chose otherwise.
>
> Daniel
>
> Craig Latta wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel--
>>
>> > Thanks to all that answered, on list and off.
>>
>>      Would you please post a summary? I'm interested to know what you
>> heard.
>>

>>      thanks!
>>
>> -C

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Hello,

> Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> > My original thought was also that everyone would reply publicly, because
> > this is of general interest. But I'll respect the wishes of those (just
> > 2) that chose otherwise.

  Among others:

  Ito-san's group at Yamanashi Gakuin Daigaku University writes robot
controller software for AIBO and friends in tools written in Squeak.

  Oiwa-san's group at Keio University are working on more natural
language like programming language, and one of their steps is to
modify eToys so that the resulting code can be read as more natural
Japanese.

  Takada-san at Ritsumeikan University has been working on the
educational aspect of Squeak.

  There are other groups that are using eToys for educational purposes
in Japan.

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :

>   Hello,
>
>> Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>>> My original thought was also that everyone would reply publicly, because
>>> this is of general interest. But I'll respect the wishes of those (just
>>> 2) that chose otherwise.
>
>   Among others:
>
>   Ito-san's group at Yamanashi Gakuin Daigaku University writes robot
> controller software for AIBO and friends in tools written in Squeak.

There is a description of this project here : http://www.itolab.com/defart/

Do you know if there some english papers about this project ?

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Eric Winger
I added an entry on my blog with the info collected on this thread on
Squeak and for different Smalltalks. It would be nice to capture a
current list of Smalltalk projects that are active at universities,
grad, undergrad, on-going research, courses, etc. If you know of some,
send me a link and any other info you have.

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/eric/blogView?
showComments=true&entry=3336250544

Eric

On Sep 13, 2006, at 2:14 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm about a year away from finishing my BAs in Math/CS,
> and am looking for a nice place to do exciting and interesting stuff
> for a PhD. Of course if I can do it in Squeak and with Squeakers,
> that's a definite advantage!
>
> BTW, my current definition of interesting stuff tends towards math and
> geometry - for example I'm currently working on face recognition
> algorithms based on embedding surfaces while preserving geodetic
> distances (GMDS). But I'm curious about the general situation.
>
> So I know about SE people in the SCG group in Berne, and about Andrew
> Black+ in PSU, Portland, and Croquet seems to be getting some
> universities involved (Minnesota, Wisconsin... more?), though I don't
> know exactly in what form. Who else is out there?
>
> I think this is probably of general interest...
>
> Daniel

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Eiichiro Ito
Sorry, there is no reports and publications in english.
I posted a simple webpage to describe our system following URL.

http://wiki.itolab.com/wiki.cgi?page=About+Defart

We are interested in visual programming system using State Transition Networks.
Defart is a first prototype system for programming AIBOs visually to be a robot soccer player.
We have joined RoboCup Japan Community, and this year our team won a few and lost a lot.

Serge Stinckwich wrote

Eiichiro Ito a écrit :

> Sorry, there is no reports and publications in english.
> I posted a simple webpage to describe our system following URL.
>
> http://wiki.itolab.com/wiki.cgi?page=About+Defart
>
> We are interested in visual programming system using State Transition
> Networks.
> Defart is a first prototype system for programming AIBOs visually to be a
> robot soccer player.
> We have joined RoboCup Japan Community, and this year our team won a few and
> lost a lot.

Thank you for your translated information.
Unfortunatly, the AIBO platform will be discontinued next year ...
Do you think that your work could be adapt to another one ?

We are mainly working with the WifiBot platform : http://www.wifibot.com/

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

Re: Where in the academic world is Squeak?

Eiichiro Ito
Thank you very much for your good pointer.
Because AIBOs has already discontinued and we cannot buy new one, so we are looking for new robots to continue our research.
We may buy robots you are woring on, and we want to port our system to that.

BTW, I heard about of new small robot at RoboCup Japan Open in this year.
http://www.eco-be.com/
This may be common platform for  RoboCup in near future.
(But we cannot buy it anywhere yet.)

Serge Stinckwich wrote