Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Simon Guest-2
Hi,

PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
cases I mean the squeak-dev images.

Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it back
from somewhere?

cheers,
Simon

Re: Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 10/4/07 12:07 PM, "Simon Guest" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
> because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
> cases I mean the squeak-dev images.
>
> Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it back
> from somewhere?
>
> cheers,
> Simon

Open MonticelloBrowser.
Select 'http://source.squeakfoundation.org/310' repository
And load
Morphic-CandidatesForGo-edc.3

If PDAMorph is useful, we should package in Monticello form and put on
SqueakSource

Edgar.

Re: Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Herbert König
Hello Simon,

> Can I get it back from somewhere?
file it out in an older image and file it in in 3.10.

Doing so might uncover other dependencies.

This is why I prefer a "full image" over a "dev image".

I don't mind to load my favourite dev-tools into my working image but
keeping track of all the small things I use is hard. Especially if I
don't use them yet :-))

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Herbert König
Hello Edgar,

EJDC> If PDAMorph is useful, we should package in Monticello form and put on
EJDC> SqueakSource
I do often use the MonthMorph from this package.

Is there an alternative (a PluggableDatePicker :-)?

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Brad Fuller-2
Simon Guest wrote:

> Hi,
>
> PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
> because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
> cases I mean the squeak-dev images.
>
> Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it back
> from somewhere?
>
> cheers,
> Simon

I put WatchMorph on squeaksource a while back.

http://www.squeaksource.com/WatchMorph.html

[OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Dan Ingalls
Folks -

As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how
to have fun with a browser.

You can find out all about it at...

        http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/

...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
then you can probably have fun with it too!

It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)

Enjoy
        - Dan

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Brad Fuller-3
This is great, Dan. Thanks for placing the Squeak reference and the
links in the intro. I messed around with the Live Kernel on Firefox
2.0.0.7. ran rather slow on my 1.8MHz computer. And, it seemed objects
(like Asteroids and the morphic dialog demo) were tucked underneath - it
seemed that the World was too small to show all the objects. When I
maximized the browser to full, I saw the additional stock charts down below.
I can't wait to dig into it to see what I can do with it and especially
see what others more skilled than I can do. With all the morphic
experience here, some neat apps might appear quickly.

thanks for the hard work!

brad

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
> playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how
> to have fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
>     http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
> then you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)
>
> Enjoy
>     - Dan

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Brad Fuller-2
This is great, Dan. Thanks for placing the Squeak reference and the
links in the intro. I messed around with the Live Kernel on Firefox
2.0.0.7. ran rather slow on my 1.8MHz computer. And, it seemed objects
(like Asteroids and the morphic dialog demo) were tucked underneath - it
seemed that the World was too small to show all the objects. When I
maximized the browser to full, I saw the additional stock charts down below.
I can't wait to dig into it to see what I can do with it and especially
see what others more skilled than I can do. With all the morphic
experience here, some neat apps might appear quickly.

thanks for the hard work!

brad

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
> playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how
> to have fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
>     http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
> then you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)
>
> Enjoy
>     - Dan

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Bert Freudenberg

On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:19 , Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
> playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out
> how to have fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
> http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
> then you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)

Strangely familiar indeed. Congrats, Dan!

- Bert -

Re: Where's the WatchMorph in 3.10?

Steven Elkins
On 10/4/07, Simon Guest <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
> because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
> cases I mean the squeak-dev images.
>
> Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it back
> from somewhere?

By now you should be able to get WatchMorph.  Ages ago I removed it
from PDAMorph because every OS I run provides at least one clock
gizmo.  I can probably dig up a copy of it if you want it.

Steve

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank

pwl

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
> playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how
> to have fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
> http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
> then you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)
>
> Enjoy
> - Dan

Hi Dan,

Looks like you guys are up to amazing work.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Peter

On Oct 5, 2007, at 11:05 , Steven Elkins wrote:

> On 10/4/07, Simon Guest <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
>> because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
>> cases I mean the squeak-dev images.
>>
>> Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it
>> back
>> from somewhere?
>
> By now you should be able to get WatchMorph.  Ages ago I removed it
> from PDAMorph because every OS I run provides at least one clock
> gizmo.

That's a strange reason given that Squeak aspires to not needing an OS.

Even the Javascript Morphic has a WatchMorph ...

- Bert -

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

stephane ducasse
Hi dan

Do you have some news about SqueakOnJava license?
You told me to push you so I do :)

Stef

On 5 oct. 07, at 05:19, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
> playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out
> how to have fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
> http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
> then you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)
>
> Enjoy
> - Dan

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Michael Davies-2
Avi has posted this to reddit, where it's proving quite popular.

http://programming.reddit.com/info/2wrkp/comments

On 10/5/07, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 11:05 , Steven Elkins wrote:
>
> > On 10/4/07, Simon Guest <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> PDAMorph from SqueakMap loads fine in 3.9, but in 3.10 it fails,
> >> because the WatchMorph has been removed from the image.  Oh, in both
> >> cases I mean the squeak-dev images.
> >>
> >> Did it go to SqueakMap, or was it simply discarded?  Can I get it
> >> back
> >> from somewhere?
> >
> > By now you should be able to get WatchMorph.  Ages ago I removed it
> > from PDAMorph because every OS I run provides at least one clock
> > gizmo.
>
> That's a strange reason given that Squeak aspires to not needing an OS.

I only removed it from PDAMorph, not from my images!

Cheers,
Steve

--
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment
before starting to improve the world.       -- Anne Frank
Paradise is exactly where you are
right now...only much, much better.    -- Laurie Anderson

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Klaus D. Witzel
Thank you Dan for making Lively available!

Cool, even with curly braces in the Code Browser's source text pane ;-)

The tool set looks really impressive & complete (incl. "save as" back to
the server :) is there anything that can be said about how code/changes
are maintained?

/Klaus

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 05:19:44 +0200, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been playing
> around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how to have
> fun with a browser.
>
> You can find out all about it at...
>
> http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/
>
> ...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
> nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build), then
> you can probably have fun with it too!
>
> It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)
>
> Enjoy
> - Dan

RE: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Sebastian Sastre-2
What piece of software!

One way or another one returns to the origin.
Now... fortunately for the world you can't control yourself can't you?

        cheers !!

Sebastian Sastre
PS: what interesting times we are living in

giorgiof
nice, Nice, NICE!

thanks a lot!

Giorgio

On 10/5/07, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks -

As many of you know, I and a couple of friends at Sun have been
playing around with JavaScript, and we've finally figured out out how
to have fun with a browser.

You can find out all about it at...

        http://research.sun.com/projects/lively/

...and if you have a very recent build of Safari (preferably Webkit
nightly builds) or FireFox (preferably latest Gran Paradiso build),
then you can probably have fun with it too!

It's not at all polished, but it should look strangely familiar ;-)

Enjoy
        - Dan

Re: [OT] An artifact of possible interest...

Chris Muller-3
This is exciting news, and long overdue for the web (since it appears
there is no will to solve the "installation and upgrade hassles", so
let's jam everything from now until the end of time through the web
browser).

Dan how similar is the new Lively/Javascript Morphic to Squeak's
Morphic?  I'm interested in knowing how much portability to expect.
Also, will Lively/Javascript provide a similar base of useful Morphs
like.. TextMorph.