Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Rick Hedin
Hi.  Squeak by Example says to download the source code for the examples at
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html .   But when I go there I get
a horrendous error to the effect that I don't have permission.  What's going
on?

        Regards,

        Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:35:51PM +0000, Rick H. wrote:
> Hi.  Squeak by Example says to download the source code for the examples at
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html .   But when I go there I get
> a horrendous error to the effect that I don't have permission.  What's going
> on?

Hi Rick,

I just connected to www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html and had
no problems. But the server for this is rather unreliable, so perhaps
you were unlucky enough to try it when the server was down. Please
give it another try and see if it works for you now.

Dave

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

俞立
your should first have an account on http://www.squeaksource.com, then your add the

MCHttpRepository

    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample'
user: ''
password: ''
the above word to your squeak's monticello browser s Repository -? http;  the user and password is your account . then you can download it. enjoy yourself :)

2011/3/28 Rick H. <[hidden email]>
Hi.  Squeak by Example says to download the source code for the examples at
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html .   But when I go there I get
a horrendous error to the effect that I don't have permission.  What's going
on?

       Regards,

       Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011, ÓáÁ˘ wrote:

> your should first have an account on http://www.squeaksource.com, then your
> add the

You don't need an account to access public repositories on squeaksource.

Levente

David T. Lewis <lewis <at> mail.msen.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:35:51PM +0000, Rick H. wrote:
> > Hi.  Squeak by Example says to download the source code for the examples
at
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html .   But when I go there I
get
> > a horrendous error to the effect that I don't have permission.  What's
going

> > on?
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I just connected to www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html and had
> no problems. But the server for this is rather unreliable, so perhaps
> you were unlucky enough to try it when the server was down. Please
> give it another try and see if it works for you now.
>
> Dave

Oh oh.  I have bad news.  When I used my fiance's Macintosh, it worked fine.
I now have the .mcz files.  I mailed them to myself.

But I use my Windows 7 machine, it failed.  I cleared out my cookies; no
effect.  I believe it is a Windows-specific error.

I type in www.squeaksource.com.  The entry is automatically changed to:
http://www.squeaksource.com/@2AtXe8BsUyoSqs-i/rjnuZeQE
And I get error the error message:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /@2AtXe8BsUyoSqs-i/rjnuZeQE on this server.

-

Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.squeaksource.com Port 80

I hope that's enough information to allow somebody to debug it.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011, Rick wrote:

> David T. Lewis <lewis <at> mail.msen.com> writes:
>

>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:35:51PM +0000, Rick H. wrote:
>>> Hi.  Squeak by Example says to download the source code for the examples
> at
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html .   But when I go there I
> get
>>> a horrendous error to the effect that I don't have permission.  What's
> going
>>> on?
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I just connected to www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html and had
>> no problems. But the server for this is rather unreliable, so perhaps
>> you were unlucky enough to try it when the server was down. Please
>> give it another try and see if it works for you now.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Oh oh.  I have bad news.  When I used my fiance's Macintosh, it worked fine.
> I now have the .mcz files.  I mailed them to myself.
>
> But I use my Windows 7 machine, it failed.  I cleared out my cookies; no
> effect.  I believe it is a Windows-specific error.
>
> I type in www.squeaksource.com.  The entry is automatically changed to:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/@2AtXe8BsUyoSqs-i/rjnuZeQE
> And I get error the error message:
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /@2AtXe8BsUyoSqs-i/rjnuZeQE on this server.

There's something wrong with your network connection. I doubt
squeaksource.com uses Apache 1.3, the Server header is Comanche/6.2
(unix) even for static content (images).
What's the IP address of squeaksource.com according to your machine?
(execute 'nslookup squeaksource.com' from the console to find out)
Are you behind a proxy?

Levente

> -
>
> Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.squeaksource.com Port 80
>
> I hope that's enough information to allow somebody to debug it.
>
>             Regards, Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

dcorking
www.squeaksource.com is at 130.92.65.106

For successful fetches, the server header is indeed Comanche/6.2 (unix)

But, for protocol errors (HTTP), it responds with
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin) mod_jk/1.2.6 mod_ssl/2.8.31
OpenSSL/0.9.7l PHP/4.4.9

Rick, I don't have Windows 7 to test with.  Did you try with different browsers?

David Corking <lists <at> dcorking.com> writes:

> www.squeaksource.com is at 130.92.65.106
>
> For successful fetches, the server header is indeed Comanche/6.2 (unix)
>
> But, for protocol errors (HTTP), it responds with
> Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin) mod_jk/1.2.6 mod_ssl/2.8.31
> OpenSSL/0.9.7l PHP/4.4.9
>
> Rick, I don't have Windows 7 to test with.  Did you try with different
browsers?

Hi David.

I reset my network equipment hoping to be assigned a new IP.  Same behavior.
Then I installed Chrome, just for something different than Internet Explorer.
And it worked!

My Internet Explorer says it's version 8.0.7600.16385.

I had thought we were out of the days of incompatible browsers.  Shows what I
know.

          Regards,

          Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

lists.squeakfoundation.org
I've got Windows 7.  I can test if you outline a step-by-step.

<lists.squeakfoundation.org <at> ben.coman.com.au> writes:

> I've got Windows 7.  I can test if you outline a step-by-step.

Sure.  It's disturbingly simple.  I open up a new tab in my Internet Explorer
8 window, type this into the top box, and press return.

http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html

The text in the box changes to:

http://www.squeaksource.com/@2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT

And I get the message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /@2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT on this server.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.squeaksource.com Port 80

Hope this helps.

       Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Paul C Johnson
Go here http://squeak.org/Documentation/
You will find it about half way down the page.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Rick H. <[hidden email]> wrote:
<lists.squeakfoundation.org <at> ben.coman.com.au> writes:

> I've got Windows 7.  I can test if you outline a step-by-step.

Sure.  It's disturbingly simple.  I open up a new tab in my Internet Explorer
8 window, type this into the top box, and press return.

http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html

The text in the box changes to:

http://www.squeaksource.com/@2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT

And I get the message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /@2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT on this server.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.squeaksource.com Port 80

Hope this helps.

      Rick

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Erlis Vidal
It works for me, with all the browsers I've tested (firefox, IE 8 and with Chrome)

I  notice the following instructions

Registration

MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample'
user: ''
password: ''
just wondering if you used it with some other values....

Just try with some other browser just in case is your cache or something like that.

Erlis

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:07 AM, Rick H. wrote:

> I typed.  http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakbyExample.html (with .html)  It
> failed.

> Can you reproduce this behavior?

No (I hope you mean a capital B - lowercase b as you typed gives
"Error: "SqueakbyExample" not found. " for me. Capital B is fine.)

Do you still get the:
Forbidden You don't have permission to access
error message?

My guess is that your browser sends some kind of unnecessary
credentials (such as a username and password.)

Have you tried a test with a completely fresh Windows user account?

Rick H. wrote:

  <lists.squeakfoundation.org <at> ben.coman.com.au> writes:

    I've got Windows 7.  I can test if you outline a step-by-step.

Sure.  It's disturbingly simple.  I open up a new tab in my Internet

Explorer

8 window, type this into the top box, and press return.

http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html

The text in the box changes to:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ <at> 2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT

And I get the message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / <at> 2RH_FUm3Eg_bB4Vf/7qNAMBqT on this

server.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.squeaksource.com Port 80

On Windows 7 with IE8 I typed:
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample   into the address bar and
it seems to work fine,
changing the address bar to:
http://www.squeaksource.com/ <at> Tn8orBHYjPJk26uc/2pR31wbz
I then typed:   www.google.com   into the address bar,
followed by again typing:
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample    into the address bar
and got:    http://www.squeaksource.com/ <at> G9WiRi32jRcJqmrq/TjM5FQU6
I tried to reproduce your error by...
Going reviewing Safety > Web Page Privacy Report showing that a
cookie was accepted.
Clicking on Settings, and then on
the Internet Options dialog dragged the slider to Block All Cookies,
but that had no impact on viewing the page.
You might anyway try: Safety > Delete Browsing History.
Sorry thats about all I can offer.

Interesting.  I was able to reproduce it from right here in the newsgroup.  I
think it has to do with whether you end your url with .html .   I clicked in
your message where you tell me what you typed.
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakbyExample (no .html)  It worked fine.  I
used the browser's backarrow, and clicked in my message where I say what I
typed.  http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakbyExample.html (with .html)  It
failed.

Can you reproduce this behavior?

            Regards, Rick

1. http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakbyExample        fails
2. http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakbyExample.html   fails

3. http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample      gives a rough directory like web page of links to mcz files
4. http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample.html    redirects to a unique web-session-id eg @OpPYIrMNFbOz35hW/yc0l7jY5

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Gary Dunn-2

On my phone, #3 was rewritten as

http://www.squeaksource.com/@8oIFG1bXE3vPNhP0/yGASxpF6

and a reasonable page from the server was displayed. That url rewrite has to come from the server. I wonder if IE8 has a security feature that blocks this form of rewrite? At work our Windows boxes are set to block the type of url rewrite I use on my project web site ... openslate.org -> www.aloha.com/~knowtree/openslate. Most browsers handle the redirect  but at work I have to use the second form. My rewrote happens at GoDaddy, the third party aspect could be a factor.

However this turns out, I hope you are successful in learning Squeak.

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project
http://openslate.org

Gary Dunn wrote:

I wonder if IE8 has a security feature that blocks this form of rewrite? At work our Windows boxes are set to block the type of url rewrite I use on my project web site ... openslate.org -> www.aloha.com/~knowtree/openslate. Most browsers handle the redirect  but at work I have to use the second form. My rewrote happens at GoDaddy, the third party aspect could be a factor.

I don't think re-writing within the same domain would ever be considered a security issue.

My testing has been with both Firefox and IE8 - switching by going Start > Default Programs > Set your default programs.
both work.

Try googling of "IE8" "RESET" ?shrugs?

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

dcorking
Rick, It might be worth trying IE8 / IE9 with an  "InPrivate" window.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-8/features/safer?tab=ie8inprivate

Re: Where's the source for Squeak By Example?

Rick Hedin
David Corking <lists <at> dcorking.com> writes:

> Rick, It might be worth trying IE8 / IE9 with an  "InPrivate" window.
>
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-
8/features/safer?tab=ie8inprivate

Well, my problem is solved.  I solved the problem by using
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakByExample (no .html)  I just thought there
might be a general problem, that could be solved at the web site.

Learning Squeak Smalltalk is going well.  My fiance tells me my paper copy of
Squeak By Example arrived today.

Thanks for your help!

       Regards,

       Rick