Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Steve Thomas
I started editing the Playfield here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/TilesPlayfield
Then found another spot (which answered my questions on mouse x and y) here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/Tiles

Which version should we keep?

Also Why is Playfield called a "Tile" wouldn't a better term be Object.

Below is an excerpt on my chat with Bert and Scott regarding Etoys Terms:

<mrsteve> Can someone help me distinguish/define the following terms in an Etoys context . . .
<mrsteve> Object, Tile and Morph
<bertf> An object is what you create in Etoys by painting or from the supplies flap. or more generally, anything you can get a halo on and script - so everything you see in Etoys.  A tile is what you put in a script, usually commands., but  referneces and expressions are tiles too. Morph is not really used on the user level, it's an implementation detail.
<scottwal> "Morph" is any graphical object; it's an internal term which unfortunately has leaked out into some of the documentation.   Some morphs are "simple" (e.g. a SketchMorph really is simply a bitmap) but most are nested structures consisting of submorphs which themselves consist of further submorphs, etc.    Thus, for example, a "RecordingControlsMorph" consists of a total of 75 parts, each of them a Morph in its own right.
<scottwal> As bert wrote (btw what are you doing writing documentation at 3 am, bert?!) "morph" isn't really used (or at least *shouldn't* be used) in user documentation.
<mrsteve> Got it!
<mrsteve> Just to reguritate and test my understanding . . .
<mrsteve> Morph is an internal squeak/smalltalk term of art that should be put back in the closet and kept there (action Item, make sure its NOT in the documentation)
<bertf> scottwal: not really, just reading a bit more before going to sleep
<scottwal> bertf:  :-)
<mrsteve> So distinguish Player for me from Object
<scottwal> heh heh
<mrsteve> Also in the "collections" category for Playfield/Holder there are references to: "first element" and "player at cursor"
<mrsteve> Why not "first player" and "player at cursor"
<scottwal> good point ;-)
<mrsteve> okay so part of facilitating understanding is to define terms
<scottwal> One could argue that Player is also an internal term, from the standpoint of our users, but it does occur here and here in the UI such as "player at cursor"...
<mrsteve> Is there some Standard reference of terms?
<scottwal> :-(
<bertf> as Scott said, Player is another internal term. An Object is really a Player + a Morph. The morph being the visible thing and the player defining the Etoys behavior
<bertf> mrsteve: that's one reason we need a reference manual, to define our terms
<mrsteve> :)

Re: Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Scott Wallace
On Dec 7, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Steve Thomas wrote:

> I started editing the Playfield here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/TilesPlayfield
>
> ...Also Why is Playfield called a "Tile" wouldn't a better term be Object.

I think that the chapter in question is about Playfield-specific Tiles -- i.e. tiles which are found in Viewers for Playfields, but which are not found in Viewers for other kinds of objects.

  -- Scott_______________________________________________
squeakland mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/squeakland

Re: Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Rita Freudenberg
Hi Steve,

do you have time to join our audio chat today at 3 pm EST? Or when would you have time for a quick chat, audio or irc? Some of your questions have been discussed yesterday, others are on the agenda today.

I apologize for not explaining our writing rules and outline better. And with your questions you identified important issues!

On Dec 8, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Steve Thomas wrote:

I started editing the Playfield here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/TilesPlayfield
Then found another spot (which answered my questions on mouse x and y) here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/Tiles

Which version should we keep?

I already copied your text into the objects chapter. There we will describe all the objects you can find in the supplies bin.

Also Why is Playfield called a "Tile" wouldn't a better term be Object.

This is a misunderstanding, I should have said it more clearly at the beginning of the chapter. In Tiles we will describe the tiles of an object. So we do not call playfield a tile, but will describe the tiles, which are special for playfields, in the tiles chapter (where we will describe every tile within Etoys).
We do have a list with every tile extracted from within Etoys, so we know we will not forget one. But I just broke it down into several chapters to enable simultaneous editing. It will be re-organised later. We will probably end up with a chapter called "tiles" (or something like that), in which a user can find a description for every tile, and we still have to decide on the order. For now, the idea is to organize it according to the appearance in Etoys, e.g. sub-chapters for viewer-categories and then one or more sub-chapters for special tiles for special objects (thats where the playfield tiles would appear.)

Thank you for sending your mails to the list!

[...]

Rita,

I am at work during the day and have the pager this week (24x7 support and all) so I can't guarantee I can be available at any specific time.

Also I have no Microphone here at work, so all I can do is text chat during day EST.

I will do my best to be on chat.squeaklnad.org at 3pm EST. And may send some more emails to the list.

Couple of other thoughts on terms:

  • We could classify terms as:
    • User Term (UT)- common language term which describes the functionality of an object/thing. This Term should use word(s) that can be easily mapped to common experiences (and mental models of an 8 year old. If anyone has a reference to such terms and mental models that would be great ;)
    • Etoys Terms de Art (ET)- Etoys/Squeak/OO Programming terms that are useful when experts talk. These terms should NOT be used in public
  • Some examples:
    • Example 1:
      • UT: Viewer Category - this describes items such as those found at http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys/TilesMorph?topic=Tiles in particular the item with the fuzzy picture ;) (FYI, great idea on auto capturing the images in png, also like the naming convention, thanks it will save me a lot of effort)
      • ET: Tile - describes (I am guessing here) the underlying object used to create this object.
  • We should also have a list of terms that helps people to translate Terms of Art <==> UT's
Lastly no need for apologies (but I do apreciate the concern :)
Stephen

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Rita Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

K. K. Subramaniam
On Tuesday 08 December 2009 09:34:17 pm Steve Thomas wrote:
>       - *User Term* *(UT)*- common language term which describes the
>       functionality of an object/thing. This Term should use word(s)
> that can be
>       easily mapped to common experiences (and mental models of an 8
> year old. If
>       anyone has a reference to such terms and mental models that
> would be great
Here is my shot at 'kids' terms. They may or may not corresponding to
programmer's intentions ;-)

Object - a building block used to build larger "computers". Some kids call
this a "thingie".
Morph - a graphical object (i.e. has a visual which can be manipulated with a
mouse)
Halo - "remote control" for a Morph. Has buttons for manipulating a Morph
Player - A script agent for a Morph which manages scripts and variables on
behalf of its morph.
Tile  -  A strip containing an instruction to a Player.
Viewer - a drawer containing strips of instructions organized by categories
(trays?) and a panel containing additional buttons for manipulating a Morph
(e.g. grab it, rename it, reveal it etc.).
Scriptor - A control panel for starting, stopping, editing a script.
Name Tile - A Morph's name badge (orange halo button). Used in scripts to
refer to Morphs.

FWIW .. Subbu

Re: Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Bert Freudenberg
On 08.12.2009, at 18:04, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 09:34:17 pm Steve Thomas wrote:
>>      - *User Term* *(UT)*- common language term which describes the
>>      functionality of an object/thing. This Term should use word(s)
>> that can be
>>      easily mapped to common experiences (and mental models of an 8
>> year old. If
>>      anyone has a reference to such terms and mental models that
>> would be great
> Here is my shot at 'kids' terms. They may or may not corresponding to
> programmer's intentions ;-)
>
> Object - a building block used to build larger "computers". Some kids call
> this a "thingie".
> Morph - a graphical object (i.e. has a visual which can be manipulated with a
> mouse)
> Halo - "remote control" for a Morph. Has buttons for manipulating a Morph
> Player - A script agent for a Morph which manages scripts and variables on
> behalf of its morph.
> Tile  -  A strip containing an instruction to a Player.
> Viewer - a drawer containing strips of instructions organized by categories
> (trays?) and a panel containing additional buttons for manipulating a Morph
> (e.g. grab it, rename it, reveal it etc.).
> Scriptor - A control panel for starting, stopping, editing a script.
> Name Tile - A Morph's name badge (orange halo button). Used in scripts to
> refer to Morphs.

Not bad :)

But I'd think it's not necessary for kids to distinguish between the "player" and the "morph" that make up an "object":

Object - a building block used to build larger "computers". Some kids call
this a "thingie".
Halo - "remote control" for an Object. Has buttons for manipulating an Object
Tile  -  A strip containing an instruction to an Object.
Viewer - a drawer containing strips of instructions organized by categories
(trays?) and a panel containing additional buttons for manipulating an Object
(e.g. grab it, rename it, reveal it etc.).
Scriptor - A control panel for starting, stopping, editing a script.
Name Tile - An Object's name badge (orange halo button). Used in scripts to
refer to Objects.

- Bert -

Re: Where should I edit the Playfield INFO?

Steve Thomas
Tests for Terms:
  • Would this term survive a UI facelift?
    Ie: if the User Interface were to change (saw some emails about this) would the terms still work? This could test if we are describing generic functionality decoupled from the underlying UI and implementation artifacts.
  • Would Tim's daughter (or any other young one) be able to understand what it meant?

Stephen

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 10:52:09 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> But I'd think it's not necessary for kids to distinguish between the
>  "player" and the "morph" that make up an "object"
The word "player" appears in the tiles. Kids, teachers and translators need to
know what "player at cursor" means.

The distinction also manifests in the handling of scripts/commands and
variables/attributes. Morph commands and attributes cannot be deleted while
script and variable tiles (managed by the Player) can be deleted.

Subbu

On 08.12.2009, at 19:13, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 December 2009 10:52:09 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> But I'd think it's not necessary for kids to distinguish between the
>> "player" and the "morph" that make up an "object"
> The word "player" appears in the tiles. Kids, teachers and translators need to
> know what "player at cursor" means.

This should be renamed to "object at cursor" in the UI.

> The distinction also manifests in the handling of scripts/commands and
> variables/attributes. Morph commands and attributes cannot be deleted while
> script and variable tiles (managed by the Player) can be deleted.

That's an accidental distinction.

The simpler story is that you can only delete scripts and variables that you added yourself.

- Bert -

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 11:31:29 pm Steve Thomas wrote:
>    - Would this term survive a UI facelift?
>    Ie: if the User Interface were to change (saw some emails about this)
>    would the terms still work? This could test if we are describing generic
>    functionality decoupled from the underlying UI and implementation
>  artifacts.
I would think so. After all, the target audience for Etoys are kids. These
terms are metaphors for what goes on inside the machine. Any deviation could
be considered a bug.

>  - Would Tim's daughter (or any other young one) be able to
>  understand what it meant?
I will let Tim answer that :-). I help out rural school kids (non-English) use
Etoys and the suggestions emerged from that experience. Kids in 9-12 age group
are just transitioning between concrete to abstract. For most part, they can
figure out stuff by playing with it. However, there will always be a  need for
adult assistance in interpreting metaphors and action words to suit local
sentiments.

Subbu