Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

bernhardHoefner
Hello Group. I like to discuss about the subject and have also some ideas.
But I want to ask first for the proper list within the forum. I heard that
there is a discussion ongoing and want to participate.

I will send this question to Squeak and Pharo usegroup and to the
Phratch-developer. I assume that there is a common discussion about the
subject. Hopefully there is no need to open on each platform an individual
thread.

Regards, Bernhard

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/SqueakLand-f113713.html

Re: Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Bernhard,

> Hello Group. I like to discuss about the subject and have also some ideas.

The focus of this group is Etoys, which is an alternative to Scratch.
But given that the previous message here was in April I don't think this
list's participants will be too upset with a discussion, which I am very
interested in, going off topic.

I wonder if it isn't too late for Smalltalk Scratch? The Pi foundation
invested in it while the Media Lab was working with Flash since they
didn't like that platform. But now that the official Scratch is moving
to Javascript the Smalltalk Scratch project has been cancelled. I am
aware of the Pharo version, but don't know much about it.

-- Jecel

Re: Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

Tobias Pape
Am 26. Oktober 2018 18:31:29 MESZ schrieb "Jecel Assumpcao Jr." <[hidden email]>:

>Bernhard,
>
>> Hello Group. I like to discuss about the subject and have also some
>ideas.
>
>The focus of this group is Etoys, which is an alternative to Scratch.
>But given that the previous message here was in April I don't think
>this
>list's participants will be too upset with a discussion, which I am
>very
>interested in, going off topic.
>
>I wonder if it isn't too late for Smalltalk Scratch? The Pi foundation
>invested in it while the Media Lab was working with Flash since they
>didn't like that platform. But now that the official Scratch is moving
>to Javascript the Smalltalk Scratch project has been cancelled. I am
>aware of the Pharo version, but don't know much about it.
>
>-- Jecel

there's NuScratch, tho

  -tobias
--
Sent from a mobile device

Re: Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
Pyonkee (https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Pyonkee) is Smalltalk based
Scratch that can run on iPad.  A strange name but it is a nice port
with enhancements of Scratch 1.4 and it's been popular.
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bernhard,
>
> > Hello Group. I like to discuss about the subject and have also some ideas.
>
> The focus of this group is Etoys, which is an alternative to Scratch.
> But given that the previous message here was in April I don't think this
> list's participants will be too upset with a discussion, which I am very
> interested in, going off topic.
>
> I wonder if it isn't too late for Smalltalk Scratch? The Pi foundation
> invested in it while the Media Lab was working with Flash since they
> didn't like that platform. But now that the official Scratch is moving
> to Javascript the Smalltalk Scratch project has been cancelled. I am
> aware of the Pharo version, but don't know much about it.
>
> -- Jecel

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> Pyonkee (https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Pyonkee) is Smalltalk based
> Scratch that can run on iPad.  A strange name but it is a nice port
> with enhancements of Scratch 1.4 and it's been popular.

Fantastic! And I see that this had reached one million downloads back in
February. It is really nice to see this happening and to the the effort
of the iOS VM not being wasted.

Tobias wrote:
> there's NuScratch, tho

That is the Raspberry Pi project that got cancelled last year in favor
of the Javascript-based Scratch 3. But obviously it is still available
for people to use, which is the great thing about open source.

-- Jecel

Re: Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

Tobias Pape

> On 26.10.2018, at 20:46, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>> Pyonkee (https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Pyonkee) is Smalltalk based
>> Scratch that can run on iPad.  A strange name but it is a nice port
>> with enhancements of Scratch 1.4 and it's been popular.
>
> Fantastic! And I see that this had reached one million downloads back in
> February. It is really nice to see this happening and to the the effort
> of the iOS VM not being wasted.
>
> Tobias wrote:
>> there's NuScratch, tho
>
> That is the Raspberry Pi project that got cancelled last year in favor
> of the Javascript-based Scratch 3.

It did? Bummer.
But the Scratch 3 version got a "variant" from a very popular German education show:
        https://programmieren.wdrmaus.de
which is nice.

> But obviously it is still available
> for people to use, which is the great thing about open source.
>
> -- Jecel

Re: Where to discuss strategies and tools for a comeback of Smalltalk using Scratch as entrance

bernhardHoefner
thanks for your reply, Yoshiki, Jecel and Tobias.
Pyonkee is very interesting, especially because as I understand, it is a
Smalltalk running on an ipad. By using all the sensors of the pad, it should
be possible to write apps with connection to the real world (but I was not
able to manage it yet). Unfortunately - and I dont know why - it is only for
ipad and not for iphone.

Because there is no discussion started about my underlying question, I try
to continue it on pharo list. I think, many of the participants in squeak
list are also participants there. Further I think, that scratch could be a
good starting point Tobias mentioned the https://programmieren.wdrmaus.de
project which again shows that Scratch is spread and willingly used. May be
it is not such important, which porting is used as long the "project" code
is interchangeable, which means that the Smalltalk-based implementation
should be maintained and always be up to date. I dont know if someone takes
care about that.

Due to nuScratch or Raspery Pi version I will answer at Pharo list

Thanks again and Regards, Bernhard

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/SqueakLand-f113713.html