Where to put clock and calendar morphs?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All, Especially Tim and Bob,

I'm getting close to being ready to share my clock and calendar morphs.  For now I have been
building them in category: 'RotaryDialMorphs'.  My ClockImageMorph is a sub-class of
RotaryDialMorph, CalendarDisplayMorph is just a Morph.  Should I make my own category to house
them or keep them added to 'RotaryDialMorphs'?  I'm thinking make my own category but I would
like some opinions.

Also, as part of making fancy hands for the clock morph, I have a method that draws a 5 point
star.  For now this is a class method of the clock morph that gets passed a form.  I'm thinking
maybe it should be an extension of Form, so the star would just be drawn in the form.  As such
it would probably be better in my own category.

To draw a star you specify a starting point (among other things) that corresponds to the lower
left hand point of the star.  Does this make sense or should it be the top point or center of
the star.  The center would take some math.

How and where do I upload to?

Lou
--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.

Re: Where to put clock and calendar morphs?

timrowledge

> On 18-01-2018, at 11:53 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All, Especially Tim and Bob,
>
> I'm getting close to being ready to share my clock and calendar morphs.  For now I have been
> building them in category: 'RotaryDialMorphs'.  My ClockImageMorph is a sub-class of
> RotaryDialMorph, CalendarDisplayMorph is just a Morph.  Should I make my own category to house
> them or keep them added to 'RotaryDialMorphs'?  I'm thinking make my own category but I would
> like some opinions.

The RotaryDialMorphs have been moved into the mainstream MorphicExtras-Widgets category. Best bet for a simple fix would be to email me the fileout and I’ll incorporate it.

You may want to slightly rename your calendar morph though as there is already one in the EToys packages (hey, an actual case for environments and namespaces!), but side from that, make yourself an account on SqueakSource.com and start a project, upload your code and so on.

> Also, as part of making fancy hands for the clock morph, I have a method that draws a 5 point
> star.  For now this is a class method of the clock morph that gets passed a form.  I'm thinking
> maybe it should be an extension of Form, so the star would just be drawn in the form.  As such
> it would probably be better in my own category.

I think for something quite package specific it would be easiest to leave it as a class method for your clock morph.

tim
"Mr. Worf, scan that ship."  "Aye aye, Captain... 300 DPI?

Where to put clock and calendar morphs?

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:16:56 -0800, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The RotaryDialMorphs have been moved into the mainstream MorphicExtras-Widgets category. Best bet for a simple fix would be to email me the fileout and I’ll incorporate it.

>You may want to slightly rename your calendar morph though as there is already one in the EToys packages (hey, an actual case for environments and namespaces!), but side from that, make yourself an account on SqueakSource.com and start a project, upload your code and so on.

Since the calendar morph has a digital clock in it I changed it's name to
ClockAndCalendarDisplayMorph.

I decided to create a separate category.  I created an account on SqueakSource.com.  I haven't
started a project yet but I will get to it.

>> Also, as part of making fancy hands for the clock morph, I have a method that draws a 5 point
>> star.  For now this is a class method of the clock morph that gets passed a form.  I'm thinking
>> maybe it should be an extension of Form, so the star would just be drawn in the form.  As such
>> it would probably be better in my own category.

>I think for something quite package specific it would be easiest to leave it as a class method for your clock morph.

As for drawing a star, I don't consider it that specific to the clock morph.  It is more like a
Form drawing a circle or oval or rectangle on itself.  The clock morph class method (that I
removed) was more like a subroutine than an OO message as it required the form as a parameter
and had little to do with any clock morph instance.  Now that I moved the code to the instance
side of Form, it is a real OO message where the form is told to draw a star on itself.

I was concerned that extending classes in my project/category would get lost in the sense that
it would not be obvious that the extensions existed and were part of the project.  But the new
System Browser that Marcel put me on to solves that problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Lou