Whisker Browser

Martin Kuball
Hi Doug,

I'm a great fan of your Whisker Browser. I really can't fancy developing
without it any more. It has it glitches, though. Small ones. Nothing to
worry about. But now in a 3.9 image with the latests release (1.1) things
have gone a little bit worse. And I would like to do something about it.
So question is what should I do? Go on and try to fix it and send you
changesets or just send a bug report?

Anyway, here are the two things that bug me at the moment:

Whenever I open a collapsed Whisker Window I get a workback because the
background window does not have a layout frame. Well, I wondered why we
need it anyway and disabled it. Seems to solve the problem (at the cost of
a slightly less aesthetic look when no method pane is open - which is
almost never the case).

Second thing is that the panes for classes and methods cover the system
window border at the buttom and to the right. This makes it impossible to
use the resize handle at the lower right corner. I haven't looked into
this, yet.

Martin

Re: Whisker Browser

Aaron Reichow
Doug, Martin-

Just thought I'd share that I totally *LOVE* the the Whisker Browser
as well.  I use it both on my desktop as well as on higher-res PDAs,
where it is a perfect app for developing on the move, way more
convenient in a 640x480 or 800x480 space than multiple windows.

Just thought I'd share...

Regards,
Aaron

On Feb 4, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Martin Kuball wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I'm a great fan of your Whisker Browser. I really can't fancy
> developing
> without it any more. It has it glitches, though. Small ones.
> Nothing to
> worry about. But now in a 3.9 image with the latests release (1.1)
> things
> have gone a little bit worse. And I would like to do something
> about it.
> So question is what should I do? Go on and try to fix it and send you
> changesets or just send a bug report?
>
> Anyway, here are the two things that bug me at the moment:
>
> Whenever I open a collapsed Whisker Window I get a workback because
> the
> background window does not have a layout frame. Well, I wondered
> why we
> need it anyway and disabled it. Seems to solve the problem (at the
> cost of
> a slightly less aesthetic look when no method pane is open - which is
> almost never the case).
>
> Second thing is that the panes for classes and methods cover the
> system
> window border at the buttom and to the right. This makes it
> impossible to
> use the resize handle at the lower right corner. I haven't looked into
> this, yet.
>
> Martin

Re: Whisker Browser

Doug Way
Hi Martin, sorry I didn't reply sooner.  I've just put a new "1.2alpha"
version of Whisker on SqueakMap, which fixes the most serious bug you
pointed out -- when opening a collapsed Whisker window in 3.9-final.

There are a few other minor cleanups/fixes, and I also converted the
method category names to be Monticello-compatible: "*whisker" for method
extensions, and "*whisker-override" for the few overrides.  (Is
xxx-override still used for overrides in MC?)  I haven't taken the final
step of saving it on SqueakMap (or SqueakSource) as a Monticello .mcz
just yet, because when I converted it from a .cs.gz to an .mcz, the file
was about twice as large... maybe that's normal, or I may not have
converted it properly.

Anyway, this version should work reasonably in 3.9-final now.  I didn't
tackle a complete fix for the new pane resizers in 3.9 yet, though, I
just added a LayoutFrame for that background rectangle so that no
walkback error occurs.  So there's still the problem with the
lower-right resizing widget, and mainly the fact that you can't resize
the class or method panes as you could in 3.8.  If you or someone wanted
to look into that, that would be great. :)  Feel free to enter a bug in
Mantis to help tracking.  If you want to look into it, I'd suggest
starting at WhiskerWindow>>insertClassPane:atIndex:, where it sends
addMorph:inFrontOf:frame: as an example.  Hmm, maybe just the frame
coordinates need to be adjusted to allow room for the resizing widgets.
Also, maybe that background rectangle is in front of (thus hiding) the
resizing widgets when it should be behind.  And see how a regular system
Browser does it correctly (Browser>>addAListPane:to:...).

- Doug

Re: Whisker Browser

Martin Kuball
Hi Doug,

thanks for the answer. I will certainly try the new release. And I will try
to spend some time looking into some of the remaining bugs. Be prepared to
hear from me again ;).

Martin