Why are zipped and unzipped implemented in String rather than ByteArray?

Why are zipped and unzipped implemented in String rather than ByteArray?

Nicolas Cellier
Because instead of just handling raw sequence of bytes, it instead handles raw sequence of bytes on Objects which are not sequence of bytes... Because we love complexity.

('All work and no play makes jack a dull boy' copyWith: 300 asCharacter) zipped unzipped

Re: Why are zipped and unzipped implemented in String rather than ByteArray?

Chris Muller-3
Posisbly related to when Stream's switched from binary to text as their default type?