Why not set up a forum?

Mihnea Radulescu
Hello everybody!

I'm new to the Squeak implementation of Smalltalk, although I have some experience with C#.NET.

I'm curious as to why this is the only (or one of the few) communities that does not set up a user forum system, considering how old-fashioned and cumbersome a mailing list is? There are free forum templates in PHP, for example, that are very easy to set up. Why doesn't the community feel the need to stay aligned to the common trends?

Best regards,
Mihnea

Re: Why not set up a forum?

Bert Freudenberg

On 22.10.2009, at 14:08, Mihnea Radulescu wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm new to the Squeak implementation of Smalltalk, although I have
> some experience with C#.NET.
>
> I'm curious as to why this is the only (or one of the few)
> communities that does not set up a user forum system, considering
> how old-fashioned and cumbersome a mailing list is? There are free
> forum templates in PHP, for example, that are very easy to set up.
> Why doesn't the community feel the need to stay aligned to the
> common trends?
>
> Best regards,
> Mihnea

We have a forum:

        http://n4.nabble.com/Why-not-set-up-a-forum-td276240.html

Maybe it's just not advertised prominently enough.

- Bert -

Re: Why not set up a forum?

Randal L. Schwartz

Mihnea> I'm curious as to why this is the only (or one of the few) communities
Mihnea> that does not set up a user forum system, considering how
Mihnea> old-fashioned and cumbersome a mailing list is?

Let's just say that's not a universal opinion. I actually *prefer* mailing
lists, which can use standard APIs (RFC 821, RFC 822, and their successors) to
talk to *my* choice of mail reader that is integrated with the rest of my
environment.

The whole notion of the web "reinventing" something that wasn't very
broken was just silly.  Every forum requires separate registration,
separate rules for how to quote the previous message, separate markup
methods, seperate rules for rich content, and has no ability to
be locally archived in case I want to go back to look at a message I
posted earlier (I'm a packrat that way).

That's what I like about lists.perl.org - hundreds of Perl mailing lists are
bidirectionally gatewayed to nntp feeds that can also be read directly on the
web (I don't think you can *post* from the web though, and that's a good
thing).  Everyone gets their choice.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Why not set up a forum?

Juan Vuletich-4
Mihnea Radulescu wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm new to the Squeak implementation of Smalltalk, although I have
> some experience with C#.NET.
>
> I'm curious as to why this is the only (or one of the few) communities
> that does not set up a user forum system, considering how
> old-fashioned and cumbersome a mailing list is? There are free forum
> templates in PHP, for example, that are very easy to set up.

> Why doesn't the community feel the need to stay aligned to the common
> trends?

I believe the question to ask would be "why would anybody feel the need
to stay aligned to the common trends?"

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich