Why would you choose Squeak today?

Chris Cunnington
> Ours community is the most intellectually free.

If not exactly the most literate.

Let me try again:

Ours is the community that is the most intellectually free.

There. Got it right that time.

Chris

Re: Why would you choose Squeak today?

Joseph Alotta
How come nobody mentions gnu smalltalk as a possibility?

On 12-09-24 12:04 PM, Joseph J Alotta wrote:
> How come nobody mentions gnu smalltalk as a possibility?

GNU Smalltalk almost never posts on this list. It's been years. I have
no idea what they've been up to. I suppose if I read the Planet Squeak
blog I might know.
The only thing I can remember about GNU Smalltalk is one of the
developers saying on Squeak-dev that he felt that GNU was maligned by
other Smalltalks. And that was years ago.

Why do you you make a case for GNU Smalltalk here on Squeak-dev? And
then tell the people at GNU Smalltalk to post news about themselves here
on a regular basis? I'm sure something could come up that I could use
for The Weekly Squeak blog.

I don't know anything about GNU Smalltalk. If they posted here, I hardly
think it would be unwelcome. But I don't feel it's my responsibility to
find out what they're up to, either.

Why do you use GNU Smalltalk?

Chris

Re: Why would you choose Squeak today?

Frank Shearar-3
On 24 September 2012 17:51, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12-09-24 12:04 PM, Joseph J Alotta wrote:
>>
>> How come nobody mentions gnu smalltalk as a possibility?
>>

> GNU Smalltalk almost never posts on this list. It's been years. I have no
> idea what they've been up to. I suppose if I read the Planet Squeak blog I
> might know.
> The only thing I can remember about GNU Smalltalk is one of the developers
> saying on Squeak-dev that he felt that GNU was maligned by other Smalltalks.
> And that was years ago.
>
> Why do you you make a case for GNU Smalltalk here on Squeak-dev? And then
> tell the people at GNU Smalltalk to post news about themselves here on a
> regular basis? I'm sure something could come up that I could use for The
> Weekly Squeak blog.
>
> I don't know anything about GNU Smalltalk. If they posted here, I hardly
> think it would be unwelcome. But I don't feel it's my responsibility to find
> out what they're up to, either.

For what it's worth, I'd welcome hearing about GNU Smalltalk here.

frank

> Why do you use GNU Smalltalk?
>
> Chris

Re: Why would you choose Squeak today?

blake watson
GNU Smalltalk is in its own little world, it seems to me. I think it's
kind of cool, but it's not that accessible (it can take a while to
find Windows binaries, it's not obvious how to start and stop it, or
deploy it, e.g.). Seems like it could be a great start for a minimal
Smalltalk implementation.